Things ive never worked out

Now im here after using ntrack for a few years without any help i thought it would be good to find out how to use a few bits of it ive never worked out.

1.How does copy & paste work, if i copy a bit of guitar for example on a track & try to paste it somewher i get a new track just as if id cloned hthe whole track, so i never use it. that cant be right can it?

2. what does freeze do that just muting the track doesnt do?

3. when i keep making back ups of a song using the move/rename song thingy i keep getting this confirm file replace box , if i click no i get error so i click yes & have to keep clicking yes for the next 60 seconds while it replaces all the files i dont need replacing

I know you probably think its that stupid woman again but i would be grateful

Tina

Hi TinaM:

You ask the very same questions that others have asked and never got a reply that answered their questions… Hence, they get frustrated and drop n-Track And move onto some-other Editor, for whatever reasons… Well, that’s what I believe…

Back, when I was Tracking and editing Big Time in the V 3.3 B1516 Days I would be doing that on just about every timeline I had going…

You know, I don’t think I could do the editing your asking now, without getting into some major headaches, today…
with any Editor…
I’m not sure if “It’s” what works for you…
“It’s” how well-and-easy you can make your Editor work for you…

I guess what I’m trying to say is, n-Track can do all of that stuff…
If we (I) can re-learn how to do it again, it’s gonna make editing tracks so easy, to do…
A lot of this stuff just can’t be done when using 2" Tape…

Bill…

I havent even answered my questions…
???
:p
:laugh:
So There…

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Nov. 05 2010, 7:54 AM)

Bite me.

Present. (the verb)
Quote: (TinaM @ Nov. 05 2010, 5:28 AM)

1.How does copy & paste work, if i copy a bit of guitar for example on a track & try to paste it somewher i get a new track just as if id cloned hthe whole track, so i never use it. that cant be right can it?

It works for me...then again I have been using this software for a decade and just used the "loop" function for the first time yesterday....that's an indication of how much time I spend on the technical side of recording music....just to little time to create with the tools I'm comfortable with to spend it in front of a computer.

If I ever do get lazy tho and not want to play each part different (which does happen every so often nail a part and can't seem to get it again) I simply copy the part I want to then insert new audio track or paste it into a blank area of the same track.
I only higlight a small area were I want the copied part to appear and BAM! there it is on that small highlighted area just the "part" of the track I wanted to copy.

Are you doing it this way? highlighting only one small area for the paste to go into?

It doesn't matter how small you make it if part of your track does not appear you can always lengthen the sides to the desired amount of length until you hear everything you wanted to insert into that point into the song....sometimes it does take some lining up too...unless you get real good with click tracks and making your copy and paste size and placement precise.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:
Quote: (TinaM @ Nov. 05 2010, 5:28 AM)

3. when i keep
making
back ups of a song using the move/rename song thingy i keep getting this confirm file replace box , if i click no i get error so i click yes & have to keep clicking yes for the next 60 seconds while it replaces all the files i dont need replacing

I am not real familiar with this feature, all I can offer how what works for me.

I simply save as, and give the file another name file2.
Then I have the original "file" and the "file2" file..

I do this several times, like when I am editing to fade out certain parts I will save the file, then save it with the fades, then do some more editing and save that as a different name #...

Technically they are all backups of the songs from beginning to end in various stages of development, if I somehow screw something up I just go back to an earlier copy.
These save as project files take up very little space since they are not copies of all the wav. files but simply Ntracks arrangement of them in npk form as far as I can tell.

keep shinin

I’m back here again Gents:

It’s just my .02 worth…

I agree…
When you can’t get something to work, it’s time to move on and try something else…

However, having said that, It’s too easy to blame the editor-in-question and get/try another one…
instead of blaming the user or the computer that the user uses for his DAW…

Hey, I’m not sticking up for anyone’s ideas…
BUT, getting someone to tell you how to make something work is not the correct way to learn something… The Do-it-yourself and learn is still the best way to correct a knowledge base… IMHO…

Bill…

Hi, Tina. I do tons of editing - it’s a doddle! It’s all about selecting properly and getting familliar with the zooom controls. Make sure you have selected the guitar track by clicking on it in the timeline, zoom in and drag-select the area to copy, click in a blank area and click paste, zoom out, if you’ve set n-T’s prefs for it and performed the sequence properly, the copied piece will be in a new track at the bottom at the same time off-set in the timeline. You could, now, set the new track’s output and treat it as you will. If you grab the right hand side of the new section you can drag it out to the right to make copies.

Freeze. As above - it makes a little mixdown of that track so that it isn’t running fx in realtime. Make a back-up rename track file if freezing heavily and make back-ups of your original wavs.

3. It’s all a load o’ Windows.

ok guys thanks for the help i get the idea of freeze now but the thing with copy/rename jerm is so that i get a copy of all the wav files on another drive in case one drive packs up. so i’m not talking about the sng files i just want to update the back up drive with the wav files ive added each day

thankyou for your suggestions jerm & tony but Copy & paste still works like cloning a track for me, what are the ntrack preferances i could change to inable this?

bill i respect your age & obvious experiense but ive had ntrack for some years now & ive done the do it yourself thing till i came here & dont see asking for help at this time as “not the correct way to learn somthing”.

Tina

Quote: (TinaM @ Nov. 05 2010, 5:51 PM)

thankyou for your suggestions jerm & tony but Copy & paste still works like cloning a track for me, what are the ntrack preferances i could change to inable this?

Honestly I don't know I've never had to change any preferences, it just worked for me out of the box.

I highlight the "area" I want to copy then from the top EDIT>copy.
WHen I highlight a new area for this paste to appear (usually slightly bigger than the erea copied) I go back to the to EDIT>paste and what I have copied only appears in the area I have selected to paste into.

I am sure there are other ways to do it, some might even be better but this is how I have always done it, and it only paste the small bit of the track I highlighted and copied.

keep shinin

Quote: (TinaM @ Nov. 05 2010, 5:51 PM)

ok guys thanks for the help i get the idea of freeze now but the thing with copy/rename jerm is so that i get a copy of all the wav files on another drive in case one drive packs up. so i'm not talking about the sng files i just want to update the back up drive with the wav files ive added each day

huh, I didn't know Ntrack did that.

I use an external hardrive and I simply take the "music" folder on my hardrive and drop it into the F: external, it copies all of my Ntrack file setting along with the wav. file's except whatever files it has from previous backups.

That is an interesting feature tho, and hopefully someone will chime in that is familiar with it, I know I'd like to learn more about it.

keep shinin

Quote: (TinaM @ Nov. 05 2010, 7:51 PM)

bill i respect your age & obvious experiense but ive had ntrack for some years now & ive done the do it yourself thing till i came here & dont see asking for help at this time as "not the correct way to learn somthing".

Tina

Hi All Again:

Thanks for the reply TinaM..
Far be it for me to suggest how someone else uses this computer stuff..
Every Time I fire up these computers I learn something new..
When I shut them down after having a productive session on them I hope I remember taking something new away from the experience..
If I have a bad session I hope I quickly forget that session and move on..

I pick up so much from this Board..
Many things I read up here I just don't understand..
SO..
I'm not the only one frustrated with this Digital Audio Productivity..
Sometimes, I discover by chance how to edit something on the timeline..
When I think I understand what I did, it is so easy..
Then, I question my sanity..

I see it this way..
For ME.. There are two learning curves going on at one time..
Understanding-and-Giving Commands to the Operating System

and then
Understanding-and-Giving Commands to the Application..
In my case, it's n-Track..
I use only n-Track as my Main Editor..

I know, that the Operating System and n-Track are closely tied together..
However, If I commit a command and something don't work like I think it should, I then separate the Operating System and the Editor to see if my command is Editor related or Operating System related, Or maybe, it's my command that is not understood..
90% or the failures I attempt has to-do with my command(s) ..
There's more to it than all this..
I'm still learning..

I'll leave it there, for now..
Will I ever learn ????

But you guys up here are pretty clever, around this Computer Music..

Bill..

i finally got copy/paste to work, but instead of the bit i copied it pasted something else from a different track, whats that all about!

cue post from unblown jonson saying what do you expect!

am i the only person here that uses copy/rename song from the file menu?

Tina

Hi TinaM:

I copy-and-rename files from the hard drive’s folder… I also rename files from the timeline into the hard drive’s folder…
I don’t seem to discover any issues either way, except when I commit an error that I create, while doing the process, in the command function…

When that happens, it’s not the fault of n-Track or the Operating System…

Bill…

Quote: (TinaM @ Nov. 06 2010, 1:35 PM)

i finally got copy/paste to work, but instead of the bit i copied it pasted something else from a different track, whats that all about!

It is pasting whatever is in the clip board, sometimes whatever you last copied...

When I notice this happening I copy twice to make sure it has gone over whatever else was there before.
Also I noticed if I am zoomed in too far and I click copy unbeknown to me I have also highlighted a section in another track, so to avoid this I tend to zoom in to get the exact area I want to copy then zoom all the way out to make sure my highlighter has not gone into another track before clicking "copy" from the top.

Do listen to those whom talk out of ignorance because they don't know how to do it so they blamed Ntrack and gave up, even went as far as saying it was a "terrible implementation of those functions " pure bullocks. :(

keep shinin

Tina! Like I said:- you’ve got to very carefully select the track and area in question. It’s very easy to mistakenly select all tracks. Empty your clipboard before your start. You’ll suss it.

Hi All:

I am aware of this “Clipboard”…
However, I don’t know much about how to manage the clipboard…
Could any of you give me a “Fast-track” on what and how to work the clipboard…
AND…
What to be aware of, when navigating this thing…

Bill…

I’ve never had an issue with it.
It seems to work pretty much how the same functions work in Reaper and Orion, Mr. Jonson no florecido.

Incidentally, I know who you are - Unblown Jonson = No Snob Jowl Nun!
:)

poof! :agree:

keep shinin

Thankyou jerm & tony Ive finally got copy/paste to work!
& im getting a digitech gnx4 for christmas, sarahs found one on ebay & im having it from everyone!

mr jonson you are so bitter what on earth did ntrack do to you to make you this way?

TinaM