Thinking about making the USB Plunge

Anyone know the TonePort UX1

Okay, I picked up a laptop and it got me thinking mobile. I went to the local musician shop and the guy there was all ga-ga over Line 6 products - specifically the Toneport (I’m thinking UX1 - 'cause I’m not concerned about live multitracking at this point.)

Does anyone here have any experience with Line 6 in general or the UX1 in particular?

I have experience with some other Line6 products. I’ve been using a Pod Pro for over 6 years without a single problem. I’ve been taking a SpiderII amp to student’s houses for lessons for a year, no trouble. I also know two toneport owners who are very happy with them.

have you seen the keyboard version

http://line6.com/toneport/kb37.html

looks really neat and covers all bases -

Dr J

Quote (DR Jackrabbit @ Jan. 24 2007,15:27)
have you seen the keyboard version

http://line6.com/toneport/kb37.html

looks really neat and covers all bases -

Dr J

That link didn't work for some reason the first few times I tried it but it appears to be working now. Thanks, the keyboard version does seem spectacular - I think it's way more product than I need, though.

Actually, the UX-1 may even be more than I need. Really I guess I'm just looking for a rock-solid USB2 interface to record off my mixer into the laptop. All of the modelling and effects that come with Toneport are 'nice-to-haves' not 'need-to-haves'.

Anyone know of a basic, solid USB2 interface that allows either XLR or 1/4" input? It doesn't really need to have VU meters or anything since n-Track provides that on the software end.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Anyone know of a basic, solid USB2 interface that allows either XLR or 1/4" input? It doesn’t really need to have VU meters or anything since n-Track provides that on the software end.

Bill, I’ve used a Tascam US-122 for a few years now on the road. It has served me well. The newer version is the US-122L and is USB 2. I think it’s $149. It’s big brother the US-144 adds an S/PDIF I/O and bumps the price to $199. I think…

If you can find an old version US-122 for cheap… :)

D

Tascam USB122 - make me an offer…

Shayne

I just got an Alesis io/2. Does 24bit, 41.1/48kHz, xlr and 1/4 inch, phantom power. It’ll work on usb 1.1. I’m not finished “evaluating” it yet, but so far it seems good. us$150.

I have the UX2 Tone Port and it is fantastic. I have had no problems with it and NTrack works well with it (if you use the latest drivers). the guitar effects, amps and cabs are amazing. I got the UX2 because it has phantom power and two mic and instrument inputs. We’ve just started recording vocals with it (as it models several classic preamps) and we’re very impressed so far. Also, my wife/singer likes it because you can monitor with effects and record dry (using different sends). I think it’ll probably end up replacing the little Behringer desk I started with.

Thank you all for your input (no pun intended) after a long talk with some of the guys at the local instrument shop, the advice given here and from a few friends I’ve gone ahead and bought the Toneport UX1 - it costs a little more than the comparable Behringer unit but apparently that one has some driver issues. I’ve only just started to play around with the unit but so far, so good.

Thanks again.

Well, congrats on your new gear. Gotta love that.

If anyone else is reading this and looking for USB notebook ideas, there’s always the soundblaster audigy 2 NX. It doesn’t have 1/4", but it has 1/8" USB, and you can get an adaptor cable from 1/4 to 1/8 for a few bucks. Of course, you have to deal with the whole 48K issue with soundblaster, but that’s really not a big deal all in all. It isn’t top of the line or anything, but if you just want a 24 bit soundcard in a laptop, that’ll do it. Also, SB has apparently made a “ZS notebook” that comes in PCMCIA format. There are only one input and one output, but it says it has 5.1 support, so I assume there is a breakout cable or something.

-Fish