This Toy's a Dud

bought it but it’s crap!!

Okay in the spirit of Fave Toys, Future Toys lets add This Toy’s a Dud. Please tell us what you bought, why you bought it and why it NFG.

Feel free to defend a product someone has trashed for a state of zen and balance.

BR 008 (Advanced Rythm Production Station) by FXpansion.

Well what a waste of $99 bucks. Thought I was getting a nice drum sequencer. Reviews were through the roof. Not. It is more like a sample manager, sequencing for the most part, relies on your DAWS piano roll editor and I’m not a huge fan of NTracks roll editor. Flavio’s little freebee drum machine sounds far better than this piece of junk. Only good thing about this is I get 50 dollars off if I purchase guru or BFD.

Um…well…ahem…

The little Brian May amp by vox. At first I thought it sounded cool. I was wrong. Nothing works with it (unless one puts it through an AC30 I suppose - but if I could afford an AC 30 then I wouldn’t have purchased the little amp…)

All right. This is good get the anger out people. Let it go you’ll feel much better. No tears though.

presonus bluetube preamp i bought a couple of years ago. it sounded average at best, right out of the box and then a few weeks later one of the channels died altogether. absolute crap. I’m not bothering with cheap preamps anymore. Other than that I’ve been very lucky.

SBLIVE.

This piece of crap was the number 1 recomendation on several music sites a few years ago. When I finally got a real card the differences were so dramatic that I left several of those music sites. Really, how could I ever trust their recomendations again. Their number 2 recomendation was Anything Behringer.

The main reason I came here and bought N-track was listening to the music area. There were so many good to outstanding recordings by really talented people there. They must know something!

KingFish

There’s more!

Zoom 505 and Behringer Vamp2.

Great little units if your “sound” includes the “between channel static” found when dialing in radio stations. :;):

KingFish

Quote (KingFish @ May 02 2006,11:46)
There were so many good to outstanding recordings by really talented people there. They must know something!

KingFish

You sure we are listening to the same stuff? :p

I can't say there is much I regret. I usually agonize over purchases and end up paying too much for whatever it is. The one thing that really sucked were some mic mounts from Samson.

These things:

are total cheap crap. Very flimsy and they broke very easily and I am gentle on my stuff. Pay the extra $20 and get the Gibraltar or LP equivalent.

CAD M177 mic. Sounds like poo. Not a recommended buy…

D

Really? There is a lot of good press on the CAD M177 and M179s out in the world. Suprising. How are those AT2020s working?

The AT’s are great. I bought the M177 primarily for vocals and have come to the conclusion that its just muddy and mid rangey. No sizzle or shine. It’s not bad on a guitar cab with the pad and roll off turned on. Compared to the AT2020… the M177 I have sux.

D

Those ATs are pretty tempting to get a few for whatever micellaneous tasks you can think up.

WAIT! STOP! This part of the forum is for pissing and moaning be it religious, political, whatever… not talking about gear! Shame on us.

Although I have not heard one myself… supposedly the M179 is a MUCH better sounding mic than the M177. The 177 may be OK on certain voices. I just know it is LOUSY on my music partners voice. Maybe a different pre would wake it up… I dunno. I just don’t have any confidence in it.

<!–QuoteBegin>

WAIT! STOP! This part of the forum is for pissing and moaning be it religious, political, whatever… not talking about gear! Shame on us.

HOLY CRAP! You are correct! Errr… uhhh… God is a Republican!

There. We should be redeemed now… :D

D

Screw you man. God doesn’t belong to a political party! Which really means God is a Democrat… or a Libertarian… God wants guns and doobies!!! :D

One toy which was a dud was the Edirol UM-1 USB midi interface. This didn’t work om the DAW I had then - period.

After searching for about six months I managed to find an obscure reference as to the cause of it. Turned out it expected to see one of three different approved USB controller chips present on the motherboard. I had to pull my DAW apart in order to check, and of course I had a fourth USB controller chip (i.e. not mentioned in the reference) on my motherboard. No mention of that in the specs at all. What a ripoff!! :angry:

They used the ‘non-standard’ way of USB communication in order to ‘speed up’ the USB midi interface. I cannot for the life of me imagine why they considered the USB 1.1 standard to be ‘inferior’ to the 31250 baud midi communication speed… You don’t print, scan, or store while using your keyboard, do you? Maybe they expected everybody to have a USB mouse and PC keyboard hooked up - they do consume large amounts of bandwidth at 9600 baud…

Anyway, I still have this one for sale at a bargain if anyone wants it… (Last idiot not born yet?)

regards, Nils

Quote (Bubbagump @ May 03 2006,00:04)
Screw you man. God doesn't belong to a political party! Which really means God is a Democrat.... or a Libertarian... God wants guns and doobies?!?!?!?! :D

Welll....I'm not overly religious...... but I do dunk my Oreos in a goblet of milk. Hate to tell you this Bubba but I'm pretty sure God is not a librarian.

The really strange thing is, God has a pretty large home studio, and only uses stuff made by Behringer.

Quote (TomS @ May 03 2006,07:35)
The really strange thing is, God has a pretty large home studio, and only uses stuff made by Behringer.

Oh so that's where all that distorted sound and big flashes of blue light comes from. It God Behringer equipment.

LOL :D

Let’s see…a few years back (early 90’s), all transactions within one month…

Bought a pair of EV-257 mics (or some such model number). Received one EV-257 and one EV-357. So much for having a “pair”. Took two returns to get two mics of the same model. I’d have been happy with either model, just so long as they were the same. I never got the “supplied” mic cables.

Bought a brand new signal generator. It wouldn’t work. I fixed it by soldering a loose cap on the circuit board. Neither leg had ANY solder on it, making it an easy find. I can’t see how it ever could have worked.

Bought a brand new oscilloscope. One of the new test cables that came with it was bad and needed replacing. Ultimately, the test cables that came with the machine were the wrong set…not that it mattered for what I was using it for in the audio range, but they were not the ones that were supposed to come with the machine. We figured that out when we went looking for an exact replacement for the bad one.

A few years earlier (early to middle 80’s)…

Bought a new QSC power amp. It worked for about 10 minutes then acted like it had been turned off (Internal fuse popped? No way.). The wire soldered to the circuit board where the AC went to the power supply had come loose. That was a serious problem waiting to happen (shock-sparks-didn’t happen fortunately). The problem was a cold solder joint that broke loose. The date stamped inside the amp was 01/01/198?..I forgot the year, but it was built on new years day. I suppose whoever put the thing together had a hangover. That amp was not typical QSC quality - quite a few joints looked cold, so they were resoldered. It was an easy fix, but a fix that shouldn’t have had to happen. The amp worked well for many years after that.

Bought a new Tama snare drum. The rim on the batter side was about 1/8" larger than standard. Remo heads would pull out from under the rim. For many years I could only use Evans heads on it. That was OK at the time since that was the preferred snare sound back then. I rediscovered that problem a few years ago, since we no longer want snares that sound like taped cardboard. My other Tama snare never had that problem. The rim has been replaced.

Tama tom mounting hardware back then (late 70’s - early 80’s) was just weak - made from a weak alloy. My set had a 15" mounted tom that was a bit too heavy for the supplied hardware and mounting method. I was playing one night when it broke loose and just fell off. I made it into a floor tom after that. The mounts on that set were all weak. I eventually replaced all of them with newer Tama mounts that were obviously better…I still think they are weaker than any others I’ve ever seen. I assume Tama has solved this problem.