this whole wikileaks thang....

why they keepin’ all the gutsy real things they say secret? That’s what tix me off - we need wikileaks to show us our leaders actually have balls? 'Course everyone knew Hillary had balls - Bill’s! haw - I slay me

a wikileaks that leaks wikileaks would do that job

I’ll throw my 2 cents in. We have enemies and releasing classified documents for them to read and use against us is a crime and some people will most likely die because of it. While we make fridges and computers our enemies are building bombs. We certainly don’t need to help our enemies. The guys a traitor and should be hung.

PACO

I’m thinking I need some medication to help with leaks.

Quote: (Paco572 @ Dec. 03 2010, 11:51 AM)

The guys a traitor and should be hung.

PACO

Check out Scalia's opinion which is indeed correct. The person who leaked the information is the potential traitor. The person who publishes it is protected under the 1st amendment. While I agree with you that some things need to stay classified, they are chasing the wrong guy. And frankly, I think something like Wikileaks is quite valuable for exposing shady dealings and keeping folks accountable.... though that is one of the jobs of the press in general and why the press is protected under the first amendment.

its WIKIleaks NOT WINKYleaks. If yer winky’s leakin’ ya best go see da Doc.

I like the fact that all the behind the scenes stuff has been exposed. Truth has a way of coming out. It made me feel good knowing the King of Saudi Arabia thinks Iran is ran by an idiot too. And to know he told the U.S. to “bomb Iran or live with an Iran that has the bomb.” — His creds went up in my book.

My 2 cents - I too tend to think this is a good thing. More information is in most cases better than less, more transparency is better than less, generally speaking, for democracy. It was fascinating to get confirmation of the Arabic world’s opinion of Iran, and to see that US policy is pretty consistent and matches our public face. But I do wonder what the private who leaked the stuff was thinking. I mean, how could he think he was not going to get caught? How did he justify his actions? It was a clear violation of his duty. The trial will be interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iKuMVqht4U

:laugh:

Whatever happened to the idea that you don’t shoot the piano player? (Or messenger in this case?)

Well, now he’s leaking documents that list the locations of vulnerable people, businesses, that sort of thing. No justification in terms of corruption here. This looks unjustified to me. Most news organizations would not publish this sort of thing - contrary to journalistic ethics. Seems to me those are the rules that apply here. Am I wrong?

Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 06 2010, 12:19 PM)

Am I wrong?

Nope. I have said from the beginning this clown was dangerous and needs to eat a bullet. I got pounded for said comment though... (imagine that...)

"Transparency in government" and what the general populace* NEED to know are not compatible in many instances. There is such a thing as "journalistic responsibility". This a-hole and his friends have no idea what that means. I see the guy as just another glory hound.

UJ

PS* I always liked what Tommy Lee Jones as "Agent K" said in Men In Black;

Quote:

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

It's very, very TRUE...

Well, no, I in no case favor killing criminals. I also think that the journalistic function is crucial. You agree with that, UJ? It’s that in this case he’s done more than that. He claims journalistic purposes.

Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 06 2010, 1:30 PM)

Well, no, I in no case favor killing criminals.
I also think that the journalistic function is crucial.
You agree with that, UJ?
It's that in this case he's done more than that.
He claims journalistic purposes.

and about to be deported and charged with rape
Quote: (TomS @ Dec. 06 2010, 1:30 PM)

Well, no, I in no case favor killing criminals.
I also think that the journalistic function is crucial.
You agree with that, UJ?
It's that in this case he's done more than that.
He claims journalistic purposes.

I didn't say someone else should kill him.

The journalistic function is vital but he/they crossed the line way back there somewhere IMO.

UJ
Quote: (TonyR @ Dec. 06 2010, 1:33 PM)

and about to be deported and charged with rape

Technically, the charges are not "rape" are they? I read about it somewhere... some kind of "unprotected sex offense" or something? Some kind of law in Sweden or someplace... can't remember ATM...

UJ

as of six of the clock, BBC Radio4 news. Rape charges that he denies. All they gotta do is find him.

Quote: (TonyR @ Dec. 06 2010, 1:59 PM)

as of six of the clock, BBC Radio4 news. Rape charges that he denies. All they gotta do is find him.

If they find him, it's probably the last we'll hear of 'im... Guilty (of whatever?) or not...

UJ

So everyone agreed that the Times should have printed the Pentagon Papers? How is that different?