Time to upgrade the box

One of the best toons of all time IMO… Great stuff! :agree:

D

Quote: (Dubious @ Jan. 13 2009, 7:19 PM)

Quote:

Are we not splitting hairs here??

Split them hares! *elmer fudd voice* Kill da' wabbit! Kill da' wabbit!

Oh... H.A.I.R.S. Maybe so PACO, maybe so... but hey if there's hair around to split, why not? :laugh:

The main point is shop carefully and do your research. :agree:

D

Yes I agree :) and love the toon song as well, brings back memories, short term memories of :whistle: .....I can't remember.... I think I lost my shoe....DOH!!!

PACO

Be careful Tom…this is what started my journey down the river Styx last summer…Vista (the windows me of the new millenium) is bad for audio on a bunch of fronts…If you already have a p4 what are you hoping to gain? replace your battery, flash your bios…filler’ up with ram, get a new drive or 2 and keep on trucking…unless you get a new piece of hardware or software that need more horsepower I would stay put…and you know I have G.A.S. and love to get new toys so if I say it…

The advantage I would look for is more CPU. My little P4 is getting kind of grunty any more. But certainly stick with XP.

Hi Bax:

Thanks for the reply…

I’ve been looking at the Sweetwater machines that they assemble for the audio market…
Some of them apopear pretty pricey…

I’m sortta thinking that I could go down the hardware list and then pick up the parts and build…

This wouldn’t be tested and all
but the parts would maybe be the important part of the assembly…

What would be the constraints and pitfalls of going down a road like that to assemble a machine…
????

Bill…

Forget roll your own… at the current prices, you will spend more time in getting things to work together than it is worth.

http://dealnews.com/Dell-In…19.html

$500 and ready to go.

That’s a great buy!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz quad-core processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB Serial ATA hard drive, DVD burner, and Windows Vista Home Premium.

Home Premium is way better than Vista basic too.

I wonder if you can UPGRADE to XP?

I have a new lappy coming for work ordered from Dell and they had a Win XP “dowgrade” (sic) available which I opted for. Vista is simply not prime-time. There are still pretty serious issues with Vista…

D

PS My new lappy is gonna be SCHA-WEET! IT dude specified 8GB of RAM, Core2 Duo at 2.53 gigglesnitz, DVD/CD burner, big hard disk… AND a BEEYAAAYUUUTEEEFUUULLLL LED display. These new LED displays, if you’ve never seen one, are super sharp and bright as all get-out. I can’t wait… Even though it’s a company machine, it’ll get a full install of Reaper, BIAB/RealBand, Adobe Audition and the US-122L drivers. WOOT!!

I hear you Bubbagump:

I may mail/call Ryan over there and see just what Sweetwater can put together for me…
They appear to be ProTools and that type of CAMP with software/hardware combinations of DAWs…
However, I am only assuming that to be their specialties…

Bill…

[EDIT]
p.s. I see you Dubious… You’re sounding pretty antsey about that lappy… Geeeze… you got it pretty good…

Bill… I’ve got a spear… if only I had a magic helmet… I’d getcha hi-speed webber-net and a smokin’ hot new puter for that new studio in your back yard. sigh

D

Nope, I need to upgrade, this machine is just getting too slow.

Funny, I was looking at that Dell.

You folks are the best resource I know. I thank you most sincerely. :agree:

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 15 2009, 6:41 PM)

Nope, I need to upgrade, this machine is just getting too slow.

Funny, I was looking at that Dell.

You folks are the best resource I know.
I thank you most sincerely.
:agree:

Just consider the fact that you might get into making music vids some day!
Oh golden cookie finger I bow before the ashes of your parting DAW.
Knowing that you smoked it and and rocked it and took CPU to dangerous heights, braved blue screens and delt with horrible locks, freezes and confusing soundless arpeggios.

Have mercy I say for you are a true and deserving slave master, slave master of great digital per'portions.
Keeper of sound, host of the groove and bleeper of the factory.
Go get um boy because you deserve the BEST!
Go get um!
Y=ou are wise and rich with the counsel of friends.
Levi

Would like to add. If you do have an intrest in makeing music vids a good setup would be; recording wiht ntrack and then capturing 3 cams at the same time. This is where quad core would be nice. Otherwise, never mind :laugh:

The Studio is somewhere in the spring or when the weather gets better… It’s much too cold to be out there with no heat-or-power yet… The temperature is -19c… That’s Zero degrees… That’s not cold if the humidity is low… But, out here on the coast…

Right now I only have a '98SE operating system. Issues developed with the XP desks… I don’t know what caused their demise… While trying to rebuild one of them I discovered that I am unable to format the drive… Partition Magic is not allowing me… Windows is unable to format the drive… Something about a third party partition utility… I tried the only work around I know… Writting ZEORS to the drive… NO-GO… Does anyone know a FIX to get this drive formatted?

Bill…

Hi Bill,

When I’ve wanted to really start again with a “clean” hard disk I’ve used this utility with success.
Running it from a floppy and leaving it overnight as it can take a while.

http://www.dban.org/

Hi nick:

I opened the link to see a beta version of what you’re refering to…
It’s called dban-beta.2007042900_i386.zip

However, there’s another download… It’s called dban-dban 2.0.0
It’s dated Feb 21 2008…
I will download that file as well…
Should I use the dban 2.0.0?
OR
use the beta version??

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Jan. 16 2009, 4:10 AM)

Does anyone know a FIX to get this drive formatted?

Are you doing a clean install of XP? Generally a clean install where you blow away all the partitions will do it. However, once in a while I have seen Window barf trying to do this to BSD/Linux/Sparc partitions. You may simply want to try to boot to Knoppix and pop into fdisk to see if there are any odd ball partitions that you can drop. I wouldn't touch Win98 with a 10 foot pole at this point. XP is just too good of a platform in comparison.

levi, that was brilliant.

just wanted to say.

:laugh: Thx Sometimes one just falls into character I don't know where it came from!
But hope you find the perfect comp for you and Mary!