tinnitis

i’m going on 7+ days now of a high pitched ringing that is keeping me distracted and awake… a little research with a frequency generator reveals that it’s at about the 12KHz range… i am incredibly tired because i’m finding it difficult to get to sleep… and during the day, it certainly doesn’t help me to stay focused on work…

while i’ve had these rings before, they’ve never lasted more than a few seconds… most of all of my music is kept at low volumes because it’s 99% acoustic, and i live in an apartment… i thought that from the bit of congestion i am also feeling, that it may be allergies… so, earlier this morn, i finally picked up some otc medicine…

all i know is that it’s driving me nuts… in fact, two nights ago, i got drunk just because i knew that it would help me get to sleep quicker…

anyone else experienced this?..

thanks,
isaac

Hi Issac,

Yes, I live with it everyday, albeit probably not as badly as you are experiencing it. I doubt it’s tinnitis, because tinnitis is caused by exessive exposure to high sound levels, if you didn’t have it before, it normally doesn’t just happen.

I suggest that you visit the doctor, ringing in the ears can also be a sign of other health problems, i.e. high blood pressure, inner ear infection.

If it’s really driving you to distraction consider a white noise generator when you’re trying to sleep, it can mask the sound making you less aware of it, and your brain will forget to listen to the white noise after a few minutes.

If this started suddenly - see the doctor.

.-=gp=-.

thank you for the info, chutz… my girlfriend has confirmed your suggestion that i should go see a doctor, so i’ve made the appointment… i’ve noticed that the volume of the “ring” has been fluctuating over the last hour… i’m wondering if the allergy medicine is affecting it in some way… the medicine surely isn’t doing anything to help me stay awake…

at one point, the volume of the ring was so loud that i couldn’t hear my own footsteps… and at this point, my worrying nature is taking charge… although rather uncomfortable, i find it somewhat fascinating that these types of things happen… it makes me wonder, “how the #### does all that stuff in my head work, anyway?!”… :)

i’ve always had trouble flying during the ascent and descent because of the pressure changes… the pain is usually near unbearable, and i always have a headache… lately, we’ve had a lot of low pressure fronts come through the atlanta area, and i’m wondering if that could have anything to do with it… a friend here at work suspects it’s simply an ear infection - which i hope is the case… i certainly don’t want to sustain any hearing loss…

thanks,
isaac

Do you play in a loud band? Do you have a fever? Any ideas what started this ringing?

nope, no loud band… and no shooting in a while (even when i do shoot, i use plugs or phones, though)… now that you ask about the fever, i was feeling a bit yesterday… this is leading me to consider more the infection, which still sucks…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Any ideas what started this ringing?

a firm roundhouse kick from my fiesty asian girlfriend perhaps? :D

thanks,
isaac

If you have allergies that could be another factor. Colds/Flu and allergies all irritate the mucus membranes in the sinuses and throat (as I’m sure you are aware). You may have some swelling in the eustachon tube which connects the inner ear to the throat, normally pressure differential is vented through this tube to keep the pressure even between the inner ear and the outside world. But in the event of swelling it may be closed and not equalizing the pressure. This will cause very painful changes in atmospheric pressure (as you mentioned when flying). My daughter has the same problem and has had small tubes installed in her head to perform the same function.

I always have this problem for about 2-3 weeks after a cold. Drives me bananas when I can’t hear the full frequency spectrum.

I know it seems odd, but I also get a lot of wax build up in my ears and I find that I have to clean it out with hydrogen peroxide and an aspirator bulb. The blocking is gradual so I don’t notice it, but when I clean out, I realize how much of the frequency spectrum was missing. My doctor told me that infection can start in built up wax too.

.-=gp=-.

Libertarians need medical care - see a doctor immediately!

Quote (Mr Soul @ July 15 2005,17:15)
Libertarians need medical care - see a doctor immediately!

of course, you know i will search out the closest county health clinic :D

isaac

Dude, get your ears checked!! :laugh:

huh?.. try using a larger font…

:D

Yep, brought this up many mooons ago. noone really had any ideas to fixz. ENT doctor guy? probably not help you. Tinnitus is a chronic pain in the ass that comes and goes for me(mostly there every day). I thought it was the end result of too many happy hours for me as a sales guy, but realized it can sometime come down on me while I’m driving down to meet a client and havent had a drink for days…so I dont know wht it is. tried looking it up on the internet, and it was a buncha stoopid stuff unfortunately.

I’ve seriously searched on this one, because I have it bad some days, and have not been able to find anything other than smoke-and-mirrows.

Let me know if you find anything, HUH?

Chiller

Experiencing any dizziness? Inner ear infections can cause ringing, but are most commonly accompanied with dizziness too the point of nausea. High blood pressure also, and the sinus meds can cause worse conditions in blood pressure. See a Doctor immediatly.

If tinnitis, my condolences, cause it don’t go away. I know, Been around loud saws my entire life. Played in rock bands for 35 years, last band the drummer was entirely too loud. I am Now reaping the tolls of hearing loss. A musicians worst nightmare. :(

<!–QuoteBegin>

Let me know if you find anything, HUH?

well, the doctor’s verdict is allergies… which is something rather new to me… i grew up working on farms in south georgia and my allergies are appearing at 29 years old?.. weirdness… he took a look and told me that my eardrums (i guess that’s what he meant) were certainly inflamed…

so now, i’ve been prescribed allegra d and singulair… i’ve never taken either…

sorry, i couldn’t be more help chiller… sounds like my fears were too many… i’m just glad it turned out to be almost nothing!..

thanks for your input, guys!..

isaac

Isaac, since yer still young probably would be worth a visit to an allergy speciallist.

The Allegra-D is for sinus, the Singulair is mostly prescribed for asthma (bronchial). Anyways, taking both of those you’ll be flying a little bit, so watch out operating heavy machinery, like Marshall amps, 32 channel mixing boards, women with large breast, etc. :D

<!–QuoteBegin>

women with large breast

if only i could have a prescription for that!.. then my girlfriend wouldn’t have an argument!.. :D

isaac

rofl.

That would be a great prescription!:D

Isaac, I’m more than twice your age, and attributed the ringing to my old days of listening too loud…not sure that’s what it is? I’ve read some interesting stories on this, one is that there is an audble outside the ear (ie, put a mic there, and it can actually hear it)…I’ve been tempted to do that and see if I could amplify it to “real” hearing. I know I hear it, it’s gotta be coming from somewhere? As you pinned down the frequency, you must have been doing some experimenting yourself. I know in my case, it is a definitely high pitch whine that does not seem to change pitch…could’ve pinned it down with a noise generator, but never did it as it would probably be pointless.

I’ve also noted that it is much louder when I wake up on Saturday, after being out on friday nite and having too much to drink. But unfortunately, It will hit me loud some days when I’m on the cell phone mid week and driving and had nothing to drink.

Who knows, but I dont think doctors understand anything on this from what I’ve read. Tinnitus is a “not nice thing” if you are into music, BUT, the one nice thing is that music can overshadow this condition.

Regards,

Scott

<!–QuoteBegin>

…and my allergies are appearing at 29 years old

That’s often when allergies start. I never had any allergies until my 30’s.

Isaac, I had something very similar in my early 30s (I’m 57). Swollen inner ear with tinnitis and an actual slight loss of hearing from the swollen glands. Doctor prescribed Benadryl to get the swelling down. He said it’s stress/allergy. I think when they don’t know what causes it, that’s what the Docs say.

Anyway, in my mid 30s I started having prostate problems. Many different doctors tried many different medications, regimens of antibiotics, etc. Finally went to a Urologist that said his experience is that swollen prostate was caused by allergies/stress and allergies are a sign of a debilitated immune system. Here’s what he told me to do: Completely eliminate the following: Smoking, alcohol, sugar, caffeine, spicy foods, “recreational” drugs. Now I had recently quit smoking, but the rest sounded pretty extreme, but he convinced me, since I was pretty desperate to get healthy. He also said exercise would help with the stress thing. (Still don’t exercise much).

Well, after about two months I started noticing an improvement, where eventually I got better. I slowly started reintroducing each of the forbidden substances to see which I could tolerate. What I’ve found is that I can tolerate some or all in moderation. I have also spent a lot of time researching alternative medicine to building up my immune system. Some have worked, others a waste of time. It’s been quite a journey.

Good luck, it’s a bitch getting older (of course it beats the alternative). I sure wish I could eat, drink and smoke a lot, stay up late and have it not affect me, but it just ain’t that way anymore.