Tips on recording bass?

I was wondering if anyone could share any tips/techniques they’ve used to get a good, punchy bass sound. I’m an utter novice at this…what I’ve tried so far is running a Low Z cable from the bass head’s ‘Direct Out’ jack into my PA, then PA line in to my soundcard (Delta 10/10). I’ve had great success recording guitar direct line from the amp to the soundcard, but I’m finding that the bass is coming in extremely EQ’d to the low end and kind of ‘flabby’ and lacking any attack. I have a rack mount EQ unit that I’ve never used…is that an option (i.e. EQ the signal before it reaches the soundcard)? Or am I off base trying to record the bass direct in? Thanks!

ooops…just noticed the ‘Tips’ sub-forum…sorry! I’ll go check there.

Bass is the one thing I have no problem plugging in direct turning it all the way up and hitting record. My bass has enough frequencies to shape any way I want in the mix post recording. It seems everytime I record it eq’d or compressed I end up regretting it in the final mix, and a couple of trusted friends have told me to flat out ‘quit that!’…

Eq and compression close to the final to better blend with added instruments is my advice. I usually do bass 3rd in line after drums and rhythm guitar, so the whole sound may evolve a lot as I stack. Having flexibility to ‘tweak’ one of the foundation instruments is a must for me.

I think you will find that compression will help get the “punch” you want in the bass (it may take some EQ too, but start with compression and if you EQ learn about the “overtones”) like all “art” it is not a set thing. You will find some good articals if you just do an Internet Search. My beginning suggestion would be, don’t rush to buy a plug-in to fix things. The more I do with recordings the fewer plug-ins I try to use and I have a bunch that I will never go back to.

Notch @ 100hz from -6 to -10 db, pump up the eq around 1000hz from +6 to +8 for a punchy non boomy sound.

Mic placement and the correct pop filter are EVERYTHING when recording bass…

ROFL… I slay me… :laugh:

D

now that’s FUNNY! Same for Trout?

I worked with that guy once - always seemed a bit cold to me, and wanted to record everything wet. :laugh:

Quote: (bax3 @ Jun. 03 2009, 2:12 PM)

I worked with that guy once - always seemed a bit cold to me, and wanted to record everything wet. :laugh:

I think I know that dude too Bax!

Did he smell uh... weird?

D

Just throw’em in the pan…
A little salt-n-pepper, not too much heat…
Save the bones…
makes good soup…
:p
:laugh:
Make fish cakes with what’s left over…

I got a good receipt for seal flippers…
I just got it the other day…

I was never happey with any bass tracks I ever did…
I think it was the bass player…
He couldn’t play the right notes at the right time…
OR… somethin’…

I’m waiting for some doable software that does bass tracks…

Bill…

Good bass sounds come from good bases. My father in law and brother in law are both bassists. They have tried everything out there. One day father in law came home with an alembic. I thought my J bass with active electronics sounded pretty darn good. That alembic is God’s Own Bass.

Yup… a DI and everything cracked on the bass works a peach. I wouldn;t worry too much about the bass. I have gotten fine tone out of JBass, a Carvin, P Bass, random Ibanez type things. Just make sure your tone control is all the way up. Adding pluck is much harder than removing low end mud.

i just went and played a fretless j-bass down at the store - $300 brand new - and i’ve never held a bass that felt so natural to hold and play. i was born to have this bass. as soon as the worker’s comp check comes in, i will get it. or die trying to justify it.

lined neck - incredibly easy to play for a fretless.

4 - 5 - or six string?

1. i used to have 5’s, but i never really liked 'em. i use drop-D for the low string on a 4.

recording bass tip - don’t be afraid to use a compressor plug-in to help even out the track. i use a multiband compressor on the bass to squash the lows (to totally even them out) while leaving the mids intact so i can add bite to 'em later. (if you add too much bite to the lows, you’ll end up blatty and poppy.)

I have an old Ibanez bass I use - just tracked a tune and knocked a rough bass part in taking Bubba’s advice. It’s held up so far - I’m gonna use it. And, it even sounds like someone working on a Buick on the last chorus!

Jdet = Jaco! :)

Jdet’s advice on bass works like a charm!
Used to be much harder getting a bass sound with analog recordings, today’s digital realm is actually pretty easy.

Quote:

Used to be much harder getting a bass sound with analog recordings, today's digital realm is actually pretty easy.

i'll second that. so much sonic power and editing flexibility now, it's really crazy to think how i did this 5 years ago and how awful it was.

if that check doesn’t get here soon, i’m going to rob a bank to get those guitars (acoustic/electric 12-string as well) and just pay the bank back when the check finally does come.