Today's attempt

:slight_smile:

You all have seen the story about the people who beat a woman so they could make a You Tube video. Well, that’s what this is about, although I doubt anyone would get that from the lyrics. They’re are in the first person, so when you hear the howl it’s supposed to be psychotic. I know I could do a better mix. But time presses hard…

It’s called “It’s All Mine”:

It’s All Mine - click here.

Tom,

I love the guitar tone…singing fits pefectly (commenting as I listen)…being a drummer, I’d turn up the kick for sure - it would drive the song further. I think the psychotic parts are superb! This song made me want a beer…

Dan

Not being a drummer, you don’t want to hear the kick any louder. Even with lots of midi help, it’s lame. :)

But many thanks for the kind comments. BTW, the guitar is a Ric. Gotta love 'em.

personally, I would like the snare louder. Love hearing that crack.
I like this groove. a louder/deeper bass guitar would help drive the groove, in my opinion, just like the snare accents it.
Great intro with the guitars solo. When i heard how great that sounded, i was pumped to hear the rest of it.
I would almost want to put the different howling tracks (there are multiple tracks, right?) panned in different spots in the stereo field, to create an image of psychos howling AT you rather than towards you in the background. Maybe even pitched a half-step apart, if you really wanted to grate on the ears.
Nit-picking stylistic things aside, i dig it, and i’m downloading it (and “good king george”) as I type.

I can’t do snares. I have no idea why. Perhaps it’s the room. Could be the snare. Could be I don’t have a clue. Perhaps you can send me a sample of your snare, JohnDET. I like the whiplike sound you get.

Thanks for the excellent criticisms. :agree:

Tom - sooner or later you need to trat us to a mix with the drums UP!
This one is begging for it! - Do a quickie mix for us - Pleeeeese…
golly gee darn - at least give us the option to ask you to turn 'em down!

I think you’re a better drummer than you think.

Great job all around except THE DRUMS NEED PUSHED UP about 6 db!

Exactly, pops. I don’t have any issue with the timbre of the snare, just bring it up in the mix. I know you said it was a preliminary mix, so it’s not a slight, just a personal preference thing to my whacked-out ears.
my snare is a fairly cheap-o recorded with a behringer vox mic (w/ matching preamp) in a master bedroom that was covered with faux-wood paneling and linoleum flooring a la 1972 with family members walking in and out and a furnace that turned on frequently (there was a foot of snow outside during much of the recording). probably not something to idolize(!). i sure don’t. :laugh:

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Apr. 11 2008, 9:03 PM)

Tom - sooner or later you need to trat us to a mix with the drums UP!
This one is begging for it! - Do a quickie mix for us - Pleeeeese....
golly gee darn - at least give us the option to ask you to turn 'em down!

I think you're a better drummer than you think.

Great job all around except THE DRUMS NEED PUSHED UP about 6 db!

I agree... and there IS a certain program I know of that makes drum replacement sooooo freakin' easy it's not even funny... IF you don't like the sound you recorded... But I dare not mention it's name...

Another cool tune from the Spademan hit factory. I am so jealous... :)

Keep it up Tom. Excellent work...

D

ahhh…alright, I will cave. But you’ll see! :D

Don’t worry at all JDET, I never take criticism as a slight, especially very good criticism.

I dunno, fellows, when I listen to it here or in my car the drums levels are just about where they should be. I played the last two songs for a keyboard guy, and his comment- entirely unsolicited - is that they kick and snare are where they should be.

I wonder if it is a problem with the mp3 coding? PM me your addresses and I will send you a CD with a couple of songs on them, and then you tell me what you think (because I have found that you guys are usually correct and I am wrong).

Could you send me Small things Forgotten and Silver Stream… love those two the most.

yup! happy to oblige!

Another cool track Tom but have to agree with others about the drums.

The ending reminds me of something but can’t quite think what…