Tom Delay is indicted

Whooah haahhh!!

Delay Indictment.

Delay is innocent until proven guilty but the Christian Science Monitor has this one right - DeLay’s deluge.

<!–QuoteBegin>

But the fundraising case itself reflects a way of doing political business that’s simply not acceptable.

The case begins with the creation of Texans for a Republican Majority (TRMPAC), a political action committee formed by DeLay and his aides to help the GOP take control of the Texas legislature in 2002. When they succeeded, the GOP-dominated legislature redrew the state’s congressional voting districts so that in 2004, Republicans in the US House picked up five more seats from Texas - significantly widening their control.

It was an ambitious strategy, but possibly tainted by money laundering. TRMPAC, according to the indictment, raised $155,000 in corporate donations and sent a check for $190,000 to an arm of the Republican National Committee and provided the committee a list of Texas legislative candidates who should receive funds, and the amounts they should recevie. The candidates did receive the funds. If those funds came from corporations, that would violate Texas election law, which forbids corporate donations to legislative candidates.

According to Delay, the Democrat’s also do this.

I personally think that Delay is guilty & that Earle, the Texas DA, has something on him that he hasn’t shown yet. Time will tell.

What Earle has is a check signed by DeLay’s colleague, Colyandro. Without anything else, DeLay is implicated but there would have been no basis for an indictment. What Earle apparently got in the last couple of weeks was an agreement to testify by either Colyando or Ellis (or, perhaps, someone else close to the case, although I think that is unlikely - I suspect DeLay’s colleagues are about to eat their own).

Here is the indictment - note the dates.

http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/delay/delay92805ind.html

It will be an interesting case; no question that Colyandro and Ellis are going to jail, unless they pull something amazing out of the hat. DeLay? Hmm…

And today Miller testified in that other thing…

You’ll like this, Mike:

<!–QuoteBegin>

WASHINGTON, Sept. 30 - Federal auditors said today that the Bush administration had violated the law by purchasing favorable news coverage of President Bush’s education policies, by making payments to the conservative commentator Armstrong Williams and by hiring a public relations company to analyze media perceptions of the Republican Party.

In a blistering report, the investigators, from the Government Accountability Office, said the administration had disseminated “covert propaganda” inside the United States, in violation of a longstanding, explicit statutory ban.

Rest here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005…d=print

Yeah - it would be a dream come true if Delay, Frist & Rove all went down in the same ship :laugh:

And Scooter, don’t forget Scooter.

Scooter freed Judith Miller to talk didn’t he? I hope she has some good things to tell us.

She’ll tell us that Scooter is a felon. :)

Now Delay is claiming a conspiracy - DeLay Will Prove His Conspiracy Theories “When It’s Timely”.

Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 03 2005,15:05)
Now Delay is claiming a conspiracy - DeLay Will Prove His Conspiracy Theories “When It’s Timely”.

Of course! He's a politician isn't he? :D

TG
Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 01 2005,20:42)
Yeah - it would be a dream come true if Delay, Frist & Rove all went down in the same ship :laugh:

How so? How would that make your life better?

<!–QuoteBegin>

You’re kidding right? It would make my life (and your’s) better because the Democrat’s might regain either the House or the Senate or both in 2006.

Delay is indicted again on another charge - Texas grand jury indicts DeLay on new charge!!!

<!–QuoteBegin>

You’re kidding right? It would make my life (and your’s) better because the Democrat’s might regain either the House or the Senate or both in 2006.

No. Nothing will be better. Just different… It will be “Grand Jury indicts (Insert Democratic Congress person here)”. Same crap… different faces with a different party card in their wallet. “Screw the constituents… let’s have a witch hunt!” Although I do agree a nice balance is in order. I’m just thinkin’ it ain’t gonna happen. Ever. American politics and values are too far gone down the crapper.

TG – cynic again.

PS “Cynic again” Hmmm… sounds like a song idea brewing eh?

PPS Don’t misunderstand me… if DeLay broke the law, they should throw the dang book at him just like they would if it were you or me!

TG - I appreciate your cynicism. But I don’t like it with any one party has complete control, so I think it would be better if the Democrat’s controlled one house.

Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 03 2005,15:40)
<!–QuoteBegin>

Nope, not kidding.

You huff, puff, rant and rave…yet do you TRULY think your life will change if you get your utopian dream of no Republicans in control?

Come on, be serious. My life was no better and no worse when slick willie was getting hummers in the oval. And it is no better and no worse with W.

Your life is what YOU make it, not some lame-ass politician making decisions in Washington(or whatever country capital you choose…)

EDIT I guess I do have to say my life was worse with JImmy Carter in office, but that would be the only time in my lifetime, and I was like 5 or 6 so it was really about my parents…

Clark, do you have anything invested for retirement? Do you think that gov’t spending policies can affect the value of those investments? Is you pay sensitive to changes in gov’t policy? Is your quality of life in any way dependent on what others do? On community action? Do you worry about terrorism? About reponses to disasters, a house fire, a flood, a hurricane? It is just false to say that our lives are entirley up to us, that they are what we make of them - there are problems that can only be solved at the community level, that cannot be solved at the individual. I am always surprised that this even needs to be said. I’ve never understood the tendency to oversimplify that one tends to find on the right. :)

Quote (TomS @ Oct. 04 2005,09:18)
Clark, do you have anything invested for retirement? Do you think that gov't spending policies can affect the value of those investments? Is you pay sensitive to changes in gov't policy? Is your quality of life in any way dependent on what others do? On community action? Do you worry about terrorism? About reponses to disasters, a house fire, a flood, a hurricane? It is just false to say that our lives are entirley up to us, that they are what we make of them - there are problems that can only be solved at the community level, that cannot be solved at the individual. I am always surprised that this even needs to be said. I've never understood the tendency to oversimplify that one tends to find on the right. :)

Tom,

Oversimplification by the right? Oh, come on. You drill down to the core competencies of government while I was adressing the grand stupidity of thinking that an indictment of 1 politician is going to be a life changing event. Even presidential winds do not dicker much with local government.

Call me stupid. Oh wait, you already did.

I don’t think clark is oversimplifying. He is just being realistic much as I was/am being cynical. The ousting of one crook (if he is) will have no REAL impact on anything. There are dozens of other crooks awaiting in tuxedo clad hoodlum school to take his place. That’s what I mean about American politics and values being too far gone down the shitter. THEY are not about US. They are in the game for what it is. Money and power. If they were about anything else, they would never have made it to the upper levels of government. Our “system” would see to that.

TG – maybe too cynical? NAH! :D