Tom Plays Drums Badly

:slight_smile:

OK, I had 75 minutes today to play around some more with the K-Micro mics on the drums, and did this:

Surf Chaotica - click here!

I wish I had a faster Internet connection than a Modem and Dial-up…
The download time just doesn’t allow me to take all this creativity in…

Shame-on-me…

Well, I’d be happy to send you a cd or two. Canada is just a stone’s throw from here. ???

Hey that’s pretty darn cool Tom. Lots of energy going on in there and some nice guitar sounds and chops. As for poor drumming, well it seems fine to me, especially where you have them in the mix.

I think you need to bring the drums up. They’re buried. They should be poundin for “Surf” :) :agree:

Hi ChuckGlyder and All:

I’d think that at this point-in-time we’re not so interested in the mix as much as what mutually works for tracks on the timeline…

There seems to me to be plenty of energy going on in there…
It sortta sounds something like the Ventures would do…
Am I showing my age ????

Bill…

The “Ventures” would bring them drums up. :p

Abso freakin’ Lutely.

I’ll share a story with you…

Years ago when we’d be in the studio tracking and jingle’in and after spending too many hours there the Tracker/Mixer would let us in on what he’d be working at… He
would set the faders-and-mix to what was the worse track(s) that he heard all day…
Invariably, it would be the drummer or the bass player’s contributions…
for the day…
Anyway, those tracks would be pushed way out front for everyone to hear…
Just so everyone would leave the studio with a bad taste in their mouth…

The next day it would be their turn to be the Go-For’s
to get the hamburgers and pizzas and all…

While they were gone for the EATS, someone else would go and do the tracks that needed fix’in…
They never knew the difference.

Bill…

I don’t want to bring the drums up, because I played the drums, and I know what they sound like, and let me tell you, they don’t sound like the ought to be brought up! ???

However…that said, I did manage to record the best sounding thing I have ever recorded. Some backing tracks for my son to use in a school talent show. And a fine drummer who really knows how to play has agreed to overdub the drums, so I make a solumn promise, Chuck et al, that on that track I will bring the drums way, way up.

Bill, your story reminds me of a similar one in the Mixerman book. :laugh: You ever read that?

Here:

Mixerman on line - click here!

Hi TomS:

I spent a lot of time around that thread.
It’s so truthful that I think I may have been there…

The bass player and the drummer couldn’t their the kick and bass notes to hit at the same time. That was only one song…

I think he said he spent two days cutting-and-splicing tape to line them up.
Then when he found them lined up on a couple of hits he had to go back over his work to make sure all the editing he did was what he though he did…

I think I was on that session.
The more I think about it…
the more I think I was…
:p
:laugh:

If I remember correctly I think he said they spent two months of work on the session and didn’t even get beyond the Bed Tracks…

Apples don’t fall far from the tree…

:p
:laugh:

Bill…

[EDIT]

Here’s a link to THE WOMB aka. The MixerMan’s message board/forum… Maybe you already have this one…

[EDIT 2]
The Habs are gonna retire a sweater tonight on Hockey Night in Canada… I Think…