too loud hihat

on the overheads

hi,
has anybody a good idea how to ged rid of a too loud hihat on the overheads? the drummer just played the hihat VERY loud and the symbals disappear…

Get the drummer to play in a way that works for recording. Really, that’s about it, as far as I can tell. :(

You had mics on the drums as well as OH? Pehaps the cymbals beeld enough in those to keep the OH mics out of the mix?

You might be able to set a limiter of some sort so it just catches the hihat hits, if they’re loud enough that they’re out of proportion…

i’ve worked with a drummer who liked his cymbals very low and had a way of hitting them so that they didn’t come across as very loud in the overheads. so i ended up with hi-hat’s that were kinda out of proportion with the crash, ride, etc. in that case, what i ended up doing was throwing out the hi-hat track (i had a mic just on the hat as well) and then in the mix, adjusted the level of the overhead tracks so that the HAT was at the correct level (we just lived with the crash being a little quiet). i first tried expermenting with eq and compression on the overheads to try to even it out, but it didnt work for me (maybe it would work for you… you could try).

in the end i learned more about the importance of positioning the overhead mic(s) when you’re tracking… i now pressure that particular drummer to raise his crash cymbals even a bit closer to the overheads, and hit those cymbals a bit harder.

Maybe the overhead positions can be changed? How about positioning the mic so the hihat is obscured by a nearby cymbal?

Or, seventies’ style, putting strips of tape to the hihat cymbals to tame them a bit?

it`s a mix i have to do, so no micing etc…
i have to live with THIS tracks!

You’ll prpbably find that anything drastic will change the overall sound in an undesireable way, so that you’ll just have to live with it. :(

The only other option is replacement. Try PeakFreak from Toby Bear. You can use it to generate MIDI from the overheads and then trigger cymbal samples over the real cymbals to beef up the the mix perhaps. A severe cheater method, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

PeakFreak

If it’s not coming from bleed in the other tracks then I suggest you make it THE hi-hat track. In other words get the EQ sounding the way you want it then mix it in so it’s right when the hi-hat is playing. That will mean the rest of THAT track is too low, but ecxept for a few places it’s inlikely he’s playing other cymbals at the same time he’s playing the hi-hat. That assumes you aren’t using the overheads for the body of sound for the other drums.

Then use many volume curves for the crashes and other places where he’s not playing on the hi-hat. It can be a hassle to do all that editing, but there’s no good automatic way in my opinion.

But, chances are the final way to go will be in the middle of no overheads to some overheads.

What other tracks do you have to work with?

Or, seventies' style, putting strips of tape to the hihat cymbals to tame them a bit?

Might work on hats, don't like it on cymbals though, the decay sounds unnatural (I didn't realise how much I missed it until I tried it!).

thanks so far!
i have a full miked set, bleeding is not a problem it was miked really good. only on the overheads the hihat is too loud and the crashes to low. comp doesn`t work very good, i will will try some phase thing with the hihat track…