Too many PC unpgrades ... is there a step-up

From my Quantum Fireball Hard drive? It’s fast and I’ve dedicated it for all Hard Drive Recording purposes… but it’s not as big as I’d like for all applications …

I got a nice (cheap) 120 G HD for all other applications, but I’m concerned it wouldn’t be as fast as my 20 G Quantum Fireball (I seem to remember it’s 20G … maybe it’s 10?) … speed and reliability are the main selling point of a hard drive …

What do you guys use?

Western Digital Caviar. Never had one fail on me yet.

I use segate myself as they’re nice and quiet, even the 7200rpm versions.

I have navigated outta the Maxtor 7200/8 meg. drives and into the W/D 7200 8meg drives… I had a bunch of Maxtor drives fail… The failure was… they take so long to “Spin Up”… and they only report to the BIOS and Desk about 50% of the start-up time… Then after they do report at boot time I can never be certian that they’ll continue to be “Readable” while the DAW is running… I still have some Maxtor drives but I am not gonna replace them as they fail…

Bill…

I have had flakey experience with Maxtors myself. So not that I have said WD has alwayd been good to me… one of my WD drives should be failing any day now. :D

I’ve used Maxtor & never had a problem. However, I’ve been using Seagates lately because they are supposed to be a little quieter (although the Maxtor’s are quiet too). I’ve also heard that the WD are good.

Seagate, Maxtor, WD…

since they are mechanical devices, they all will fail. Sorry to say. Keeps me in business however.

Maxtor is now part of Seagate. Just laid off 6,000 of 12,000 Maxtor workers.

My 120G drive is a Maxtor as a matter of fact. I guess I could just work from the one hard drive, but I still wouldn’t mind the slave drive …

How does Samsung measure up for HD recording purposes?

I used the Samsung Spinpoints in a number of my DAWs & my clients have not complained, nor have I had a report of one dying.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I got a nice (cheap) 120 G HD for all other applications, but I’m concerned it wouldn’t be as fast as my 20 G Quantum Fireball

Regarding speed, any 7200 rpm drive will be more than fast enough for an audio application. Your hard drive is coasting when recording or playing audio.

I’ve got 2 Raptor 10K rpm SATA drives in a striped RAID. does that count? 36 GB x2 for 72 GB. they make 72 GB versions now too. had mine for a few years and no sign of a problem. are you using SCSI or EIDE drives?

Quote (8th_note @ June 02 2006,09:40)
Regarding speed, any 7200 rpm drive will be more than fast enough for an audio application. Your hard drive is coasting when recording or playing audio.

Wouldn’t that depend on how many audio streams you have going simultaneously…

i got a seagate 7200,with the liquid bearings for quiet,but whats better,a quiet one or the faster 10,000 rpm western?