too much reverb? not enough?

what would you change?

This is a song by my friend Woody Rodgers:

Little Romance

I could not resist drenching his vocal in reverb. Did I go too far?

Thanks for listening!
'til later;
Tony W

Tony:
Sounds pretty good over here… But you might want to try clone’ing the vocal track and sliding one of them a number of samples along the timeline. then, panning each track Left-and-Right to taste… Send the vocal tracks to a group that’s if you’re doing this in n-Track… then add some bright-room short verb to the group’s track… You’ll loose the verb’s tails.

Anyway, the mix sounds great, the way it is…

Have you got any “Tubs” for this? I don’t hear any… You’re gonna give all the drummers a complex…

You know… all of this is “Taste”… :O ??? :laugh:

Bill…

[EDIT]
I was gonna add…
If you have a “Gate” Plug… Try putting as much verb as you can stand, on the track and gate the tails till you can’t hear them… Who knows… ?? They used to do that sometime…

The trouble is that the vocal was recorded while Woody was playing a very loud acoustic guitar, and the thought of trying to tune out the guitar without scrambling the vocals frightens me! :D This was recorded and mixed entirely within n, but I have just started running the same tracks in ProTools, and that is proving interesting. It sounds different, but it is hard to put a finger on just how. But it (PT) is undeniably powerful. At least I guess it is; it is so darn complicated! I figure since I had to buy the proggie to get the drivers for my DIGI, I might as well learn it a little. ???

Maybe there is a way in PT to squash out the guitar accompaniment; I’ll look some more at the next mixing session.

'til later;
Tony W

Great tune and a great voice…I dig the verb in an old Elvis kinda way…bass sounds cool…don’t like the direct sound on the acoustic(over dub and mic that bad boy)…track this puppy up with some drums and some good outboard compression! the e guitar is good but a little thin…I would love to hear it Scotty Moore or Chet Atkins style big and dancing around the melody thru a good ol’ tube amp

cheers,
Ray

Some things just need to be drenched in reverb. That is a great track. Could’a been done in Elvis’ jungle room. I say don’t touch it.

Thanks Tom; but I think Ray is right about the one guitar track. It is a wonderful sounding guitar, and the internal pick-up just does not catch its quality…

'til later;
tw

Well, OK, but you know what happens when you mess with something that already has “it.” I’d rather have the internal sound than a dead song. :D

I think I can get Woody to throw another pass at that part. The original tracks were laid down in party mode (which I think helped the sound, if not the beat-keeping), but he is a very consistent guitarist, so it might be okay…

I’ll post an addendum as soon as I can, but I am moving to a new studio over the next several weeks, and will have much work to do to get set up again…

'til later;
Tony

Quote (wynot @ Mar. 27 2007,10:19)
This is a song by my friend Woody Rodgers:

Little Romance

I could not resist drenching his vocal in reverb. Did I go too far?

Thanks for listening!
'til later;
Tony W

No sounds Fine but then again i love reverb!
Seriously the style of the song makes it ok but it might be a bit much for say old country or bluegrass.

I think it also depends upon the sound quality of the listener , i think that is a Wma. file? well if it was say a lower quality of MP3 it might sound swishy and stuff.

I used to use way to much reverb being i like it so much but as a general rule i have found in my style ( if you do not really notice the effect and then bring the track to a sudden stop and can then hear the effect it is about right , on a vocal , on instruments it can be carried a bit further.

Nice sounding song , good Job! :D

Thanks Danny. That is the reason I have begun using .wma files exclusively for my lossy format; they do not sound nearly as lossy!

I also have massive reverb love (hear Gates of HeII for proof,) and though I have lately been trying to pull it back a bit, some songs are like pickup trucks - better with a little mud on them! :)

'til next time!
tony w

Quote (wynot @ April 18 2007,21:58)
Thanks Danny. That is the reason I have begun using .wma files exclusively for my lossy format; they do not sound nearly as lossy!

I also have massive reverb love (hear Gates of He11 for proof,) and though I have lately been trying to pull it back a bit, some songs are like pickup trucks - better with a little mud on them! :)

'til next time!
tony w

Ah Tony the link didn’t come up for me but yes you are right i have some rock songs that i gunk up and i could not imagine them without the reverb.

The only thing i love better than reverb is doubling , I mean I really really really love it! In fact I am in love with doubling , LOL! ( real doubling not the electronic type as it just isn’t the same exact sound ).

I saw on one post here that somebody said instead of doubling they use different guitars , this idea never occurred to me but it intrigues the heck out of me as I think something on the order of doubling can be done but with greater clarity and distinctness .

And you sure are right about Wma , also I think maybe much higher sample rates can be utilized in that format as well.

:D Danny

I’m sorry; I will double check the url immediately, and get the right one here in a new response…

'til soon;
tw

Okay, I cannot figure out what is going on here, but the board is adding some extra coding when it reads the url. If you just paste this :

www.soulgarage.net/mp3/GoH_Bb_master-w-bass.mp3

into your browser, you should be able to get the tune…

'til later!
tony w

Quote (wynot @ April 19 2007,22:31)
Okay, I cannot figure out what is going on here, but the board is adding some extra coding when it reads the url. If you just paste this :

into your browser, you should be able to get the tune…

'til later!
tony w

Yeah , it sure came up this time thanks!
Loaded up on my Windows Media player , i like that best , better sound quality and stability.

Sounds good! Not to much reverb at all , just right.

:D

Danny
Quote (wynot @ April 19 2007,22:31)

into your browser, you should be able to get the tune...

'til later!
tony w

into your browser, you should be able to get the tune...

'til later!
tony w

---------------------------
Is that your guitar playing TW?

:cool:

Danny

That one is all me, Danny, for good or ill! :D Well, the drums were done in midi, but I programmed them, eh? I think it was recorded with version 2.something, and the reverb was coming from my Music Man amp and a Zoom modeler.

You know, I have been wondering if I should dig the original tracks for that one out of the vault and run the vocal through Gsnap? Not the Cher setting, of course! :laugh:

'til;
Tony

Quote (wynot @ April 20 2007,21:04)
That one is all me, Danny, for good or ill! :D Well, the drums were done in midi, but I programmed them, eh? I think it was recorded with version 2.something, and the reverb was coming from my Music Man amp and a Zoom modeler.

You know, I have been wondering if I should dig the original tracks for that one out of the vault and run the vocal through Gsnap? Not the Cher setting, of course! :laugh:

'til;
Tony

Wow Tony you are like way ahead of me on this stuff , i know some stuff about certain things and that is about it.
I never could understand Midi but then again my sound card doesn’t even have an input for that , I just plug my keyboard into the analog input and when you said Zoom i got two of them guitar foot pedals but i am not sure that is what you meant.

Oh well enough about what i don’t know , it sounds good and you sing well and play a guitar very nice i really like your playing.

just one suggestion but then again i like a high mix on my Music with my voice down a bit but that is a matter of taste and most people would not agree , so your vocal is most likely fine mixed right where it is already , never mind my suggestion. :D

Danny

Quote (wynot @ April 20 2007,21:04)

'til;
Tony

Hey Tony Here is some of my work , everything is analog input including drum machines of course it is not me singing, LOL! :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=691277

I got her voice up to high i know but that is the way they liked it.

I really got to learn this midi stuff sometime.
Danny

She sings nice! I think I would classify the song more Americana than Alt.Country, though. Just so you know, I am listening to the hifi cut on a small (75w per side) PA system. First thoughts are that there is a keyboard playing a guitar part - playing the part perfectly well, but it confuses me… :laugh: Second is that the keyboard occupies a lot of the same sonic territory as the vocal, and could stand to have a little bit of surgical EQ to open up the sound. I think if you watch the vocal track in the nTrack EQ window, you can see which frequencies she is hitting, and make matching cuts in the keys part. A tip I picked up here that has served me well is to find a part where the singer is singing pretty constantly for a while, and pull the master volume down until you can just barely hear it - the last thing you should hear before it becomes too quiet, is the singer’s voice. Try this with almost any popular or successful recording, and you will see that most all of them are mixed that way. We love the sound of the human voice, and this is true across all cultures, from what I see…

Trust me on this: get a copy of SFZ, dig up a few free soundfonts and open up n’s midi editor (the help file is lacking, but will get you a good start). The piano roll is a great way to create drum loops or whole drum parts once you grok how it works, and it is really not as complicated as it may seem at first. I have gotten so I can just look at the piano roll window and have a pretty good idea how the playback will sound, just from hacking at it for the last few years.

'til next time;
tony