39 ?

Anti-Bush demonstrations fizzle in Canada

OTTAWA (AFP) - Hopes for early mass protests in the streets of Ottawa
on the eve of Tuesday’s visit by US President George W. Bush fizzled
out, as journalists outnumbered demonstrators.

A loose coalition of groups opposed to just about everything Bush
supports had promised two demonstrations hours before Bush was due to
jet into Ottawa Tuesday aboard Air Force One.

The first demonstration – of Palestinians and sympathisers of the
Palestinian cause opposed to Washington’s support of Israel –
attracted less than 40 demonstrators.

According to a quick head count by journalists, the protest attracted
39 demonstrators, 42 journalists and television crew members and three
police officers.

A second, ostensibly larger, demonstration scheduled for the midst of
the evening rush hour – was called by a group calling itself Students
Against Bush.

Nobody turned up. Further protests however were expected on Tuesday.
Efforts to contact protest organizers were unsuccessful, with the
phone numbers listed by organizers remaining unanswered.

AbG :cool:

At least here in the U.S., jesse jackson busses professional protesters to the demonstrations … :laugh:

39 ? Come on guys !!!

-

The report I heard on PBS indicated there were more there than 39. The Canadian reporter they interviewed indicated that none of the real issues/problem between Canada & the US were even addressed by this visit. He also indicated that Canada & the US are completely apart in politics right now. In fact, the situation he described up there sounded very good to my blue state ears (but it’s just too cold :slight_smile:

Quote (CosmicCharlie @ Nov. 30 2004,23:27)
The report I heard on PBS indicated there were more there than 39.

Your right Cosmic .... The liberal media certainly should count towards protesters.
So they should've added the 42 Lib journalists that were there !!!

Make that 81 protesters

Quote (CosmicCharlie @ Nov. 30 2004,23:27)

He also indicated that Canada & the US are completely apart in politics right now. In fact, the situation he described up there sounded very good to my blue state ears (but it's just too cold :-)

.... dress in layers !!! :)

see ... I am a Compassionate Conservative !

AbG :cool:

-
Organisers said about 5,000 people, many of whom rode buses overnight from across Ontario and Quebec, held a rally at Ottawa's City Hall before a planned march on Canada's Parliament buildings. Police put the figure at between 2,500 and 3,000.

http://www.yayacanada.com/30114.html

Quote (CosmicCharlie @ Nov. 30 2004,22:27)
In fact, the situation he described up there sounded very good to my blue state ears (but it's just too cold :-)

Unless I'm missing something, how do you know "it's just too cold"??? You ever been to Canada ??? :p
Unless I'm missing something, how do you know "it's just too cold" You ever been to Canada
Many times my friend. I grew up & lived in Maine until 1998 so I know what cold is like. However, since I've been living in So. CA, I've gotten soft!

Yeah dude, go to Montreal in the winter like I do every year. You’ll navigate just fine underground all nice and warm. BUt you are in California, Toker, anything under about 65 probably is too cold for you. :;): As for our topic above and our photographic evidence, ohhhhh, you meant THAT protest. I don’t care who the media is, left, right, don’t believe everything you read with out doing some homework from various sources. Those dern liberals at Fox News must not be able to count either. Though it is a reprint of an AP article. Who to believe… ??? THogh with a little bit of a critical eye, one would realize the article above was talking about a protest on Monday night and the one in the AP article happened on Tuesday. So if the point is to say no one in Cananda protested Bush, that is wrong. If few people protested on Monday and a lot protested on Tuesday is the point, that is a legitimate thing to come away with.

Yeah dude, go to Montreal in the winter like I do every year. You'll navigate just fine underground all nice and warm. BUt you are in California, Toker, anything under about 65 probably is too cold for you
I used to go the Winter Carnival every February & it was D*MN COLD! But you're right - it's in the 60's out here right now & everyone's freezing! We're actually getting frost on the ground at night too!!!

Mike

PS - I'm Mr. Soul now.