Torture's Terrible Toll

McCain’s got it right on this one

Torture’s Terrible Toll.

I might just vote for McCain if he runs in 2008. I don’t always agree with him but he’s respectful to his oponents & he’s a good man.

SCHIEFFER: President Bush accused his critics of rewriting history last week.

Sen. McCAIN: Yeah.

SCHIEFFER: And in–he said in doing so, the criticisms they were making of his war policy was endangering our troops in Iraq. Do you believe it is unpatriotic to criticize the Iraq policy?

Sen. McCAIN: No, I think it’s a very legitimate aspect of American life to criticize and to disagree and to debate. But I want to say I think it’s a lie to say that the president lied to the American people. I sat on the Robb-Silverman Commission. I saw many, many analysts that came before that committee. I asked every one of them–I said, `Did–were you ever pressured politically or any other way to change your analysis of the situation as you saw?’ Every one of them said no. Now was there a colossal intelligence failure? Of course, there was. Is there still a lot of things that need to be done to improve that? Are we winning the war on terror? I think it depends on your parameters. But to assert that the president intentionally lied to the American people is just wrong. And could I finally say, every intelligence agency in the world, including the Russian, including the French, including the Israeli, all had–reached the same conclusion, and that was that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. So I think open, honest disagreement, more discussion, more debate, the more facts that come out, the better off we are, but I would not accept the premise the president lied.

Gotta link clark?

D

Never mind. Found it. HERE

sorry. Protocol error.

But, what about all the times the administration continued to say the same stuff, especially the VP, after it became very obvious that the info was not true? It’s still happening.

It’s very unjust, and a disservice to the military still there, to continue to say we were justified to go to war based in that info whether or not it was valid. That’s exactly what the administration is doing. That’s also to say that even if we knew the data was bad we would have gone to war anyway. Why do you think we might have done that? What should our justification be based on hindsight? Would congress have voted to go to war of we knew the data was bad?

I dunno phoo. Don’t have any answers… neither I suspect does our government.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Would congress have voted to go to war of we knew the data was bad?

Man I would hope NOT. We’ll never know…

D