Here’s my jig:

-Celreon 2GHz
-ATI Rage 128
-ATA 133, 80 GB drive
-512 MB DR RAM
-Tascam US-428
-n-Trk; CEP 2.0
Some plug-ins

I have heard lots of conversation about this, but coming into the middle of a conversation does not give one the basis of it. So the question is,

How does one, in real Lay-Terms, implement a VSTi or DXi, to use the resulting sounds (file) in a mix? (Understanding that after a MIDI track is converted to a .wav file, it is able to be treated, edited, etc., as any other .wav file.)

As I understand it (not), I need to send the MIDI commands for the piece I’m creating into a virtual instrument (to tell it what to do/play), and the output of the vitrual instrument needs to go to an Audio track, then out to whatever buss you’re going to send it to for mixing, fx, etc. Is this right, or backwards? If it’s right, would one be so indelibly kind as to outline the procedure for this operation?

Thanks for your time! The world’s music appreciators might castigate you for helping me, but I appreciate it. :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

How does one, in real Lay-Terms, implement a VSTi or DXi, to use the resulting sounds (file) in a mix?

The ral short answer is nothing. VSTi output is already in wave format and will be in the mix just as you hear it during playback. That is a main reason they are so wonderful to use.

<!–QuoteBegin>

As I understand it (not), I need to send the MIDI commands for the piece I’m creating into a virtual instrument (to tell it what to do/play), and the output of the vitrual instrument needs to go to an Audio track, then out to whatever buss you’re going to send it to for mixing, fx, etc. Is this right, or backwards? If it’s right, would one be so indelibly kind as to outline the procedure for this operation?

Not quite. A VSTi or DXi are plugins meaning you do not need to render anything (though some folks do to save CPU or RAM if the VSTi is a real pig.) So here are the steps:

1. Load your MIDI file or sng file with a MIDI track in it.
2. Load the VSTi you want to use. Track>MIDI>New VST/DX INtrument Channel>VSTi/DXi of your choice.
3. Right click the MIDI track and choose properties. Change OUtput Port to the VST you just loaded. Adjust channel and program parameters as needed.

Press Play and it works just like any other audio track in N-track. If you have ver 4.x you can “freeze” MIDI tracks when using a VSTi/DXi. This is essentially an automated render of the track and is handy for saving sytem resources. Though, it is no requirement at all.

Sloom…I did a step by step yesterday in this thread : Here !!
Though it is explaining how to do multiple channels, you can stop at one.

cliff
:cool:

nevermind the link, it is thread "Problems with multiple instances of sfz "
sorry---- others beat me to it…

Sort of on this subject: What difference or advantage is there between “rendering” MIDI to wav’ or soloing the MIDI track and “recording what you hear”? Are these basically the same ?

cliff

Quote (phoo @ Dec. 04 2005,12:00)
How does one, in real Lay-Terms, implement a VSTi or DXi, to use the resulting sounds (file) in a mix?

The ral short answer is nothing. VSTi output is already in wave format and will be in the mix just as you hear it during playback. That is a main reason they are so wonderful to use.
Oh- so it enters the realm of .wav upon mixdown? Cool! I knew I was going to like this stuff.

Here I am wondering if I’m going to have to go to community college. This is great, the mystery is gone, baby- Gone! How much fun is that? I’m sending all you guys flowers for Christmas! :D

Allright, I have done this: Loaded a track of a vocal ditty. I inserted a blank MIDI track. Now, I have a VSTi (Cosmogirl) in the Effects window of the vocal track. I right-clicked in the MIDI track, made the output to the VSTi.

I opened Piano Roll, wrote a little thing, went back to Timeline and the “notes” are in the MIDI track. Now, the MIDI “notes” are getting played through the VSTI in the vocal track effects’ window.

I understand the MIDI track is doing it’s job, going to the VSTi.

The reason it’s configured this way, though, is that when I go to Track>MIDI…there is no command for choosing a VSTi/DXi. Is this because I have my VSTi’s etc loaded improperly?

In the Effects Settings window (with the two lists on either side), the Favorites side has 2 VSTi’s I’d got from Elogoxa.com: Sun-Ra and Cosmogirl II (with the sexy naked girl playing some synth thing on it. It’s allright- she’s just a small little thing, hard to see). Cosmogirl is the chosen VSTi, yet neither she nor The Old Jazzman seems to have gotten in to the Track>MIDI drop-down list. I think I’ve got something not quite set up right within my folders?

Hey, if one of you cats could spare another minute, I’ll include a box of chocolates…

Right – you’re doing it wrong.

In n-Track V3.x, you use “Track -> MIDI -> Add VSTi instrument” or something like that. It’s moved in V4 (i think to the MIDI menu). What you want to do is look for something like “add plugin instrument” or “add VSTi channel” and try that. Then when you go to the MIDI track’s properties, you can set “Output To” to point to the plugin instrument. Also, in the mixer view, there will be a new channel with the softsynth in its FX window, and you can double-click on that to control the instrument’s GUI.

Gotcha. Thank you, Jeff.

I think the fact that a VSTi-DXi can be inserted in the effects of just about any channel is a bit odd. Maybe there’s a good reason for it. I don’t use them enough to know.

Several vsti’s could use the audio input (e.g. jamstix).
The odd thing is that the audio doesn’t get passed on to the vsti (yet).
It’s just a next step Flavio has to make after adding support for midi input to vst effects a couple of builds ago.

I’m a step behind you, Hansje: I can’t find a button that allows me to assign a VSTi yet! I’ve gone to Track>MIDI… in the menu items above the toolbar, but there appears no drop-down list pertaining to VSTi/DXi. I’ve also policed the toolbar, and anywhere else I could think of.

It may be that it’s right under my nose- but now you’re saying there’s no way to get the signal from the MIDI track to the VSTi, is that right? Then it would make sense I can’t find a way to assign it to a MIDI track.

By the way, I’m using v4.x.

No, sorry Sloom. I’m just confusing things.

What you need to do is (assuming v4.1):

- go to “Add Channel–>Add Instrument Channel–>(your vsti soft synth)”
- An instrument channel will appear in the track mixer, but not in the time line. It will be named “Synth” and shows your vsti in the effects window.
- Right click the MIDI-track that you want to route to the vsti.
- Choose "Output to–>Instrument plugin (your vsti soft synth)"
When you play your project now, you should hear the midi notes being played through the soft synth.

Allright, I got it now. Thanks for clearing that up! I downloaded a few freebie VSTi’s earlier today, and just now wrote up a little horn line at the kitchen table over a bowl o’ noodles. Think I’ll mosey on down to the Laundry Roon and have a poke at it.

I appreciate your tagging back, dude. Now, where’s that Grammy speech…?