Totally non-music question

guns in classrooms

A state senator here has introduced legislation to allow folks with concealed weapons permits to carry on college campuses. I’m curious what you folks here think about this. Would you feel safer knowing that you - and others! - can carry on campuses?

:;): Welp, I think that persons should be able to carry their permits anywhere, any drun where.
:agree:
And fur ther more, if I knew for instance, that you sitting next to me had a permit AND a pistola, I would probably flip you of less often.
But not completely probably :laugh: for my pistola is bigger than yourn!

If your thinking people carrying concealed weapons could detour an emotionally strained nut from going off the deep end, personally I don’t think it would make a spit of difference.
If someone wants to go nutz, they’ll figure a way to do it.
Who knows, it’s a shame.

i’m glad i don’t teach anymore.

that’s my answer.

I dunno Tom. Where I live, if you apply for and receive a concealed carry permit, you can pack the hawg leg anywhere you want. I seldom do… but I could do so legally if I wanted. Do I “feel” safer? Not really. Obomber is STILL out there! :laugh:

D

I’d worry about 2 things.

1. We get “situations” in our classrooms pretty often, and we have a regular police force on campus who are trained to deal with the kinds of problems we get.
They know how lock down and such work.
But suppose a student in class has a permit, and intervenes without knowing all of the best practices.
Seems like the outcome would more often be worse.
I dunno.

2. Imagine a guy has a permit, and his dorm mate is nuts.

Seems to me that it’s an empirical question, but I can’t find any data that’s relevant.

BTW, I support gun rights (not to the extent that the NRA does, however) and own a couple of rifles.

imagine a guy has a permit and he’s nuts.

if a student intervenes with a firearm in a classroom, he automatically doesn’t know best practices.

(i also support gun rights, don’t own any personally [small children about] but have used my fair share during/before my service career.)

School is about learning, not just academia, but about life, and living it.

So, if a kid decides to convert a school friend into hamburger with an AK47, then that is a real life learning experience. (OK, admittedly, at least one of the people involved will not benefit a whole deal from that learning experience, but what the heck! nothing is perfect.) :p

…Only in America…
:laugh:

:whistle:

“All extremists should be shot.”

Quote:

o, if a kid decides to convert a school friend into hamburger with an AK47, then that is a real life learning experience.

the last real-life learning experience, which means the 'lesson' would not be able to be applied elsewhere in the ground chuck's life.

Well john doe, if you’d also quoted the next line from my post: OK, admittedly, at least one of the people involved will not benefit a whole deal from that learning experience, then you could have saved yourself a whole post!
:)

Myself, I think it’s a pretty bad idea, we’ve had a licensing law here in TX for some time now but there are lots of places where carrying is prohibited even if you have the license. Pepper spray and mace are pretty effective deterrents at close range, so it sounds like a pretty bad idea to me.

i’m pretty good at taking things out of context, taking a partial thought and running with it, misquoting, you name it. a newspaper editor’s nightmare.

Quote:

i'm pretty good at taking things out of context, taking a partial thought and running with it, misquoting, you name it.

Sheesh! Story of my life!
LOL

My mouth is always at least ten seconds ahead of my brain , and that's on good days!
:O

So, no problem.
:p

In Tennessee, the latest controversy is over a recent law making it legal to carry guns in state parks. They are also allowed now in local parks, unless the community wants to “opt out”, which quite a few have done, including here where I live. They must also post some kind of “no guns allowed” sign. I don’t have strong feelings about it one way or the other.

The only hand gun I’ve ever owned was a .357 magnum I got in a trade for a Ford Mustang I had, but after a few days of target practice in the mountains, I sold it back to the guy I got it from. My ex wanted one several years back, but since I got home from work in the wee hours of the night back in those days, I wasn’t crazy about the idea. (“Oh, I’m sorry! I thought you were a burglar. Should I call an ambulance?”)

One thing I do like about the law in Tennessee is that the governor does not have the constitutional authority to declare martial law. (A by-product of “Reconstruction”) After Katrina, the governor wanted to be able to have all the guns confiscated if we had a similar situation here, but he was told that was not going to happen. Another thing in the state constitution I kinda like is that pastors and atheists are both prohibited from holding public office. :laugh:

At least in Ohio, concealed carry is out the window if you have a sign posted at your business saying no concealed weapons. Therefore, 99% of businesses have a little placard in the front window saying guns aren’t allowed. To me this is only right as you should be allowed to choose what is allowed in your establishment. Now, the slippery slope here is likely the university is a “public” institution. However, you can’t bring guns into a post office either, so I don’t see any conflict here. Just a person with nothing better to do trying to prove a point. There is no value to guns on campus… just as there is no value in fireworks, blasting caps, or medical waste. But those things aren’t in the Bill of Rights… so we can’t make a stink about them. I guess my position is that it is stupid.

Carried a gun for twenty-one years as a police officer. One of the best things about leaving police work was leaving the gun behind.

I had it, practiced with it often, was a very good shot and knew the rules - but I hated the darn thing and was happy to get rid of it - good riddance. I often said, if they decided to ban guns completely they could start with the one on my hip.

Take any situation and introduce a gun to it and you just made it worse.

Quote: (BillClarke @ Sep. 07 2009, 6:34 PM)

Take any situation and introduce a gun to it and you just made it worse.

What about if I need to shoot someone? Then I am screwed. :p
Quote: (Bubbagump @ Sep. 08 2009, 2:14 PM)

What about if I need to shoot someone?
Then I am screwed.

How often in any one individual's life would the circumstances exist that would make that individual need to shoot someone? How much more frequently would such an individual conclude that they need to shoot someone simply due to the fact that they have a gun?

When your only tool is a hammer you tend to see every problem as a nail.