track bleed

scuse me cause i know this has been coverd before,but why would a guy get tracks bleeding over to other traxs,it wasnt real noticible till i had eargoggles on an a quiet part of the track came up… :p

Hi Wozz, its difficult to say without more information, but if you have the incorrect check on your mixer than it would bleed through.

Don

I think that other Don nailed it and that would be my first bet. It is also the most FAQ on the FAQ page. However, one other possible source for bleed is from headphones that are not sealed at the earpads. Can cause leaking back to the mic during recording.

Varify both possibilities and let us know what you find.

HTH

Another Don :D

There are several sources for crosstalk.

The worst of them are due to incorrectly setting things up when recording, such as recording with a mike and monitoring by speakers – also called “feedback” in the studio, and having little to do with what guitarists and live sound guys call feedback (a.k.a. “howlaround”). Another example is recording the monitor mix rather than the input channel, and we need to know what soundcard to get into more about that.

The main “real” source of crosstalk is in the analog circuitry of a mixer, mike preamp, or soundcard. This crosstalk level should be below -60 or -70dB (or far better with really good gear). Levels like this are normal and can usually be ignored. In any cases where they cause problems, they usually can be solved using a noise gate plugin (so that crosstalk isn’t heard during the silent parts). Note that this “real” crosstalk ONLY happens when you record two tracks at the same time.

Of course, there’s also crosstalk when recording two things at once using two mikes, crosstalk “in the air”. There’s little to be done about this other than minimizing it while recording, and using a noise gate if necessary during mixdown.