Track delete problem.

I think I found the problem. Please look closely at the picture. Please notice the wave files. I have N-Track set to DELETE files when I right click the “takes” for removal and not to send to them to the recycle bin. The files are not being deleted. See Pic.

[img=http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1200/directoryproblems.jpg]

Wave files in the song directory 4,6,7,8,9,10,11,15,17,18,19 along with their .npk files were not deleted, but were delete when I initially deleted them on my screen. This must be whats causing all the problem I’m having with transferring complete song directories from one system to another. N-Track is set up to delete them off the disk but the files are not being deleted.

I believe this is also playing havoc with the option to “pack files for transport” in N-Track that others on the forum are experiencing.

I hope this help solves the issues at hand.

PACO

Just an update on this issue. Talk about left field, I guess time to eat some crow. The files were not being deleted because…I was “Cutting” using the Cut/Paste feature from the edit tab. The reason for this was because I was unable to high lite one of two takes to delete. It seems their connected, you high lite both or none at all. This lead to the discovery of another issue. Bug 24.

Now in older versions of N-Track I never had this problem with (High Lite)of second takes. I’m finding it incredibly difficult if not impossible to high lite the second take so that I’m able to use the right click function to bring up the option to “Remove Part”. In fact v2466 I can’t high lite the second part at all, however I can high lite both parts if click on the first part just about anywhere.

It’s my opinion, extra takes on a track are now somehow “connected”, whereas in previous versions this was not the case as I was able to delete the second takes as easily as the first take along with no issues involving file transfers from one system to another. This “connection” information might not be included in the .sng (when saved) file. So when the .sng file is loaded from a different drive letter (or copied from another machine), it’s causing N-Track to ask where the files are ("only those files that are part of tracks in which there are more than one take are effected:CONFIRMED) even though the files are already in the same folder.

Tracks that are not connected, like second takes from older versions of N-Track and “whole tracks” from current versions, do load with no problem because there is no apparent connection between wave files. The .sng file loads the wave files whether or not the .sng file and wave files were saved on one machine or the other, that includes different drive letters. The only stipulation here is, the waves,.sng and .npk’s must all be in the same folder.

I hope this sort things out for those who were interested.

PACO

Hey Poc
Where you able to view the second take ok?

Quote: (Levi @ Mar. 31 2009, 11:14 PM)

Hey Poc
Where you able to view the second take ok?

Yes I can view it, see, play it, just can't high lite it by itself so I can right click to "Remove". If I want to remove the take, the only thing I can do is, draw a box around it with the mouse to high lite "that way" and then use the "Cut" feature from the "edit" tab. This doesn't remove the file from disk, obviously.
PACO

How about the undue feature? Sorry I don’t have an answer for you however I think I’ve delt with that problem with out doing a second take in lanes. If you simply move a part from another track on to the next track it becomes a second take. Parts get locked for moving. Rabbit mentioned that there was an unlock feature from the right click dialog box but I didn’t see it. Good luck with that.

try this - clickselect the main track/rightclick open properties box - at the bottom of the box is a littlr grey square -click on the square and cgange the colour of the main track - the take should be visable againct the colored background track - if the take is still hidden then click in the main track area/rightclick SEND TO BACK - the main track wiil go to the back and the take should be at the front - fron here you should be able to delete it ALSO look at thr TAKEs option in right ckick menu - you may be better off using copy to new take

M.R.

Quote: (Paco572 @ Mar. 31 2009, 11:23 PM)

Yes I can view it, see, play it, just can't high lite it by itself

right click on it then choose un'group. We all think we are lookin for an un'lock.. but it's actually 'un'group'. Then your good to do what you want.
Quote: (Levi @ Apr. 01 2009, 7:37 PM)

Quote: (Paco572 @ Mar. 31 2009, 11:23 PM)

Yes I can view it, see, play it, just can't high lite it by itself

right click on it then choose un'group. We all think we are lookin for an un'lock.. but it's actually 'un'group'. Then your good to do what you want.

Ya I'll give that try Levi. Thanks everybody for the input.

As side note if this actually works, this is a new feature because the takes are now "Grouped" where they weren't before, This could have been avoided/treated as bug if it had been known as a new feature. Or did I miss it? I'm going to have to bolt my head on because it keeps falling off.

PACO
Quote: (Paco572 @ Apr. 01 2009, 8:57 PM)

Thanks everybody for the input.

As side note if this actually works, this is a new feature because the takes are now "Grouped" where they weren't before, This could have been avoided/treated as bug

PACO

Right, those of us who are used to the old nTrack (last 10 or so yrs) work in the new nTrack as if it where an older version, and get tripped up.

As n evolves we have to adapt or keep an older version.
I'm learning to edit in different ways now.
Groping of parts really is a good thing.
The punch'in feature is screwy in 2466 but normally is really precise and awesome.
So much better then the old reel days.
Lanes is interesting and here to stay.
So I think this week I've moved into the new nTrack ok. Looks as if your into it too! :laugh: :agree:

Using 2467 tonight, I added a track and cut it into 2 parts, and was unable to remove either part separately. And I couldn’t spread them apart either. A work around was to add a blank track and highlight one of the parts and copy and paste to the new track. Then highlighted and cut that part from the original track.
I checked the right click dialog box for ungroup but it wasn’t there.

Quote: (Levi @ Apr. 02 2009, 10:52 PM)

Using 2467 tonight, I added a track and cut it into 2 parts, and was unable to remove either part separately. And I couldn't spread them apart either. A work around was to add a blank track and highlight one of the parts and copy and paste to the new track. Then highlighted and cut that part from the original track.
I checked the right click dialog box for ungroup but it wasn't there.

Ya I couldn't find the "ungroup" option anywhere. I like to explore the lanes feature a little. But I'm kinda partial not to use things like that. I have always played all my tracks start to finish. Sometimes I might do half the song and then finish with a second take the second half, but using lanes to pick the best parts out, well I guess it's a feature for the masses to get the best they can, so I guess this make me "old school".... Ah crap just when I thought I was still young, I'm now on the cusp of being an old fart....Hell who am I fooling, I got so much Grey, there isn't hat big enough to hide it anymore.

PACO

SORRY Levi but it works, have n running now wnd just tried it - you can delete any part of a track without effecting any other - click outside of the track to de-select it - click in the section to select it, rightclick remove part - its gone and the rest is still there -

copy/paste - you do not have to insert a new track, just copy then paste and N will automatically insert a new track and paste the copy under the copied section -

when you split a track and try to alter the split you have first to TRIM the split so it remains at the size you have set it to - select part EDIT - TRIM -

ungroup parts - does not ungroup untill you de-select the track then re-select the part - this could be bettered so the parts un-grouped immediately -

M.R.

Quote: (Magic Rabbit @ Apr. 03 2009, 12:47 AM)

SORRY Levi but it works, have n running now wnd just tried it - you can delete any part of a track without effecting any other - click outside of the track to de-select it - click in the section to select it, rightclick remove part - its gone and the rest is still there -

copy/paste - you do not have to insert a new track, just copy then paste and N will automatically insert a new track and paste the copy under the copied section -

when you split a track and try to alter the split you have first to TRIM the split so it remains at the size you have set it to - select part EDIT - TRIM -

ungroup parts - does not ungroup untill you de-select the track then re-select the part - this could be bettered so the parts un-grouped immediately -

M.R.

I was having trouble in version 2467, is that the build your using Rab?
Quote: (Magic Rabbit @ Apr. 03 2009, 12:47 AM)

M.R.

Oh ok, that is one scenario that I didn't try. Thx I'll try that first chance.

Rab I was testing while having only one track and with one track there is no way to un’highlighte a sngle part after cutting the track in half. It would be easy to mistake this for a disfunction.
Of course adding another track or a blank track, takes care of the prob. But separating parts in a single track (the only track in the track view) is impossible.

Confirmed it just now Levi - single track splits won’t ungroup - temp solution or work around is highlight the area press control+X to delete.

EDIT: Just reloaded the same wav and it worked. may be because I imported it into track 2 then deleted my original workaround edit on track one. I’ll triple check.

There’s a hidden major bug here I think. I had a bunch of edits on a wav master file testing grouping etc… closed out the sng file - Xed it top right corner - usual option to save or not - File new song.sng is modified Save yes, no - I clicked NO - went back in and n had saved the file anyway. This could ruin a guys days work for sure!

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Apr. 03 2009, 9:40 PM)

There's a hidden major bug here I think. I had a bunch of edits on a wav master file testing grouping etc.... closed out the sng file - Xed it top right corner - usual option to save or not - File new song.sng is modified Save yes, no - I clicked NO - went back in and n had saved the file anyway. This could ruin a guys days work for sure!

Right, isn't n auto saving after 10 seconds now?
The auto save is a good thing.
In fact I'm building midi drums with a bunch of parts and I closed n by mistake.... I shuddered to think of the lost 45 mins on the drum parts.
Opened n to find everyting saved and still there shew!
Figuring it was an auto save that saved me or flav has built in a protection save feature.
:laugh: But then NOT SAVING was an auto save feature toooooooo! lol
damned if ya do and damned if ya don't!