Track editing time sync issue

I’ve got a very good guitar track with one little screw-up. The part that hiccupped is repeated elsewhere in the song, and the song was done to a metronome, therefore in theory I should be able to copy this little 4 second section from elsewhere in the track and replace the hiccup. And in fact I was able to succesfully do this by loading the track wave file into a new song file, doing the cutting and pasting til it sounded seemless, then mixing the repaired wave down and adding it back in to the original song. My problem is this…the original wave file as it appears in the original song file is 4:04.2 minutes long per ‘track properties’. When I open a new song file and import that wave in, it suddenly becomes 4:04.9 seconds (without me doing anything…it just loads in that way), and it looks like the extra time is added to the beginning of the track so that when I fix it and put it back in the original song, it goes out of sync. What am I doing wrong here?

That’s a long standing bug in n-Tracks. There can be a few extra samples added to the beginning of a mixdown. It seems related to plug-in compenstion in some way. If compensation is larger then the dead air at the beginning can be much larger as well.

The workaround is to have a bit of audible click or some extra sound at the beginning of the original track – always keep it in mixdowns. After importing the edited and remixed track back into the original song manually sync that click to make sure the rest of the track lines up properly.

You probably aren’t doing anything wrong at all.

Quote: (phoo @ Jun. 08 2009, 1:22 PM)

That's a long standing bug in n-Tracks. There can be a few extra samples added to the beginning of a mixdown. It seems related to plug-in compenstion in some way. If compensation is larger then the dead air at the beginning can be much larger as well.

The workaround is to have a bit of audible click or some extra sound at the beginning of the original track -- always keep it in mixdowns. After importing the edited and remixed track back into the original song manually sync that click to make sure the rest of the track lines up properly.

You probably aren't doing anything wrong at all.

cool - thanks! I actually got around it by just working with a clone of the original track within the same song file.

I can honestly say in 7 years using this program I have never had that happen, having extra time being added to the beginning of a mix down.
I’m not saying it’s not true, just saying it hasn’t happened on any of my systems, using Version 2.3 or the 5.1.

It would benefit future lurkers to know what version you are using that this occurred in and what soundcard/pc.

I have experienced a similar effect tho, were timing was off on tracks brought into Ntrack due to different sampling rates, 44.1k vs 48k, this often happens when you upgrade sound cards if the new one has a different sample rate as the default than your old one.

I understand soupska you found a work around, but those can be time consuming and annoying after a while and if there is something that can be avoided it’s best to find the problem and fix it, your going to be doing a lot more mixdowns and exchanging of files in the future and you can’t always make them all in the same Sng. file…especially when the track count gets up there! ???

Just my 2 cents.

keep shinin

jerm :cool: