Track fades out unexpectedly

The second track I record always fades out about 10 seconds into the recording. It goes quiet and then comes back up to a normal level. It happens very regularly.

I do have the demo version BTW. Is that supposed to happen so you have to buy the full version?

I guess it is the first track also. Fades in and out over and over.

Shouldn’t do that. The demo will put organ tones in the mixdown.

Check to see that there is no volume curve on the track. If it’s a regular rhythmic up down up down it’s probably not the volume curve, unless you put it in there yourself.

Pretty strange.

Hmmm…could it be phasing somehow slipping in there?

Click on the black triangle in the toolbar - choose draw volume envelope - see if it’s flat lined green across the track.
Same with master volume - it’s blue lined.

That’s actually the first time I’ve ‘drawn down’ a midi file in n. Cool. Can’t wait till I can drag a handle and loop those puppies and then freeze 'em - dice and slice ‘em little oregano, some parmesiano regiano - little cream sauce and some country ham!
mmmmmm mmmmm gonna be cookin’ with n-Track. I GAURONTEE!

Justin Wilson is my hero. :)

Justin Frankel is my hero… :p :p :p

D

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 09 2009, 7:57 PM)

Click on the black triangle in the toolbar - choose draw volume envelope - see if it's flat lined green across the track.
Same with master volume - it's blue lined.

That's actually the first time I've 'drawn down' a midi file in n. Cool. Can't wait till I can drag a handle and loop those puppies and then freeze 'em - dice and slice 'em little oregano, some parmesiano regiano - little cream sauce and some country ham!

mmmmmm mmmmm gonna be cookin' with n-Track. I GAURONTEE!

I checked out how the volume is plotted and everything looks green line/ blue line.

I notice when I am recording the levels all drop about 10-15 secs in.
When I replay everything goes quiet at that point.
Very discouraging...

The USB is not 2.0 I’m wondering if that may have something to do with it - I’m using a TASCAM US-122. Although everything records like a champ for 10 secs then in and out. :(

the 122 and n are great together. Vista or XP ? Something’s not right with that.

I use the Tascam 122 with N_Track and it works well on several different computers. Never had your problem so I’m at a loss. The USB 2 may be needed, the speed would be a lot slower on the older USB 1 format. Check at Tascam and make sure you have the latest driver and see if is mentions USB requirements. A USB 2 card PCI to USB 2 card is not very expensive, some less than 20 bucks or less on sale and might be a good investment. Almost everythig runs USB 2 now. Hope something woirks - the Tascam is a good unit.
Bax

If it’s an original US-122 and not a newer US-122L, plugging it into a USB2 host won’t gain you a thing as the 122 is straight-up USB1 spec. 12Mbps and that’s all…

However, I used a 122 for years and worked great. I upgraded to a 122L for the higher sample rate capabilities added since it is USB2 or 480Mbps. It works great too.

D

Problem solved but not identified. I uninstalled the drivers, ntrack and did a reinstate of everything and now I’m not seeing the problem. However, occasions I notice that I get a lot of static and hiss occasionally and I need to reboot to fix the problem.

Try to pin that down for us if you can. Need to know if it’s an n problem or what.

Glad you got it going. We expect samples of your music now when you get some finished.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 10 2009, 1:25 PM)

Try to pin that down for us if you can. Need to know if it's an n problem or what.

Glad you got it going. We expect samples of your music now when you get some finished.

Will do! Having an independent audience is going to be helpful. Now if I can just figure out this drum machine I'll be rocking.

Ok - I’ll bite - which drum machine? Alesis or Korg?

Oh no, it is happening again, this is a nightmare.

lets try with WHAT computer are you using - what OS are you running on it -

if its XP then there is the possability that XP is cutting the voltage to the USB ports if your Tascam is drawing too much ffom your system - (your system could also have a faulty power supply) if it is a laptop then these PSUs are not designed for heavy USB use - as i mainly use Win 2K, XP is not my favourite fruit, but you can stop this happening from the control panel, click on SYSTEM and look in the USB section -

i have a Behringer BCR2000, if i plug it in through a USB hub my system stops immediately (black screen total stop)- if i plug the unit in direct from the port it works OK, the BCR2000 is MAINS POWERED so it should not effect the computers USB supply but the hub has a power limit for each output the BCR2000 exceeds the ports limit and the system crashs -

if you have more than 1 USB port, try the Tascam in another port as not all ports are equal -

M.R.

Quote: (Magic Rabbit @ Jan. 11 2009, 1:00 AM)

lets try with WHAT computer are you using - what OS are you running on it -

if its XP then there is the possability that XP is cutting the voltage to the USB ports if your Tascam is drawing too much ffom your system - (your system could also have a faulty power supply) if it is a laptop then these PSUs are not designed for heavy USB use - as i mainly use Win 2K, XP is not my favourite fruit, but you can stop this happening from the control panel, click on SYSTEM and look in the USB section -

i have a Behringer BCR2000, if i plug it in through a USB hub my system stops immediately (black screen total stop)- if i plug the unit in direct from the port it works OK, the BCR2000 is MAINS POWERED so it should not effect the computers USB supply but the hub has a power limit for each output the BCR2000 exceeds the ports limit and the system crashs -

if you have more than 1 USB port, try the Tascam in another port as not all ports are equal -

M.R.

I was running it on a laptop, with USB 1.0 (only one of them), maybe that was the problem. It's an XP OS (came with).

I've tried it on my tower PC and it works fine but occasionally I would like to record on the go (and so I don't have to move my tower to my lonely recording room).

Unfortunatel, laptops are difficult to do audio with. They frequently place the firewire, usb, video, lan in ways that create conflicts and "compatable instead of quality chipsets. If you have a PCMCIA (card bus) slot you might try one to add a USB 2 to your computer. I got one for an earlier laptop, it was externally powered, but did a good job. They probably have ones that are interneally powered, but that may be the problem, running the Tascam from the computers limited power.
Bax