Track length after mixdown of single trk.

Seems to me - one could calc the longest track by byte count, then
as you say - add a time/threshold fade.
If you had the longest track ending with a power chord/quick muffle/+ reverb, - seems all would be well (threshold fade)
And if you ended longest track with (echo effect of constant repeat level)
then (time fade). Actually ‘fade’ should be an option.
Maybe user input for those params.

Quote: (Flavio Antonioli @ Aug. 31 2008, 5:43 AM)

How do you think that the problem should be fixed?
* there could be a preferences setting and/or a setting in the mixdown box that specifies how much the program should lengthen the song to account for effects tails.
* alternatively the program could monitor the song output and stop the mixdown only when the sound level goes below a given threshold.
* vst plugins do have a “tail size” property which could be useful for determining how much tail to use, but not all vst plugins correctly implement the property and DirectX plugins don't have it anyway so there must be a way that is independent of this

Perhaps combining the two things would be best as the 2nd method alone could potentially lead to infinite length mixdowns if a plugin (or synth) 'oscillates' and produces non-silent output for silent input.
When non-silent output extends below the maximum tail length the program could perform a short fade before stopping.

Flavio.

Dear Mr. Flavio, I do believe in the second option presented by you in Post #16 about the sound threshold. This is the perfect option and yes/please put is as an option -perhaps in the mixdown dialoge box as a checkbox. Thanks, and WOW is v6.0.1 gonna be awesome. I'm really looking forward to it. I will be able to make the valuable purchase on Sept. 3rd. Thanks nTrack for all your hard work hope you get a chance to party some too!!
:)
:peace:

I did the experiment that will show the end of the song getting cut off. It’s as I suspected, related to plug-in latency.

–Wave Tick at the beginning of the song.
–Wave Tick at the end of the song.
No effects.
–Do an offline mixdown.
–Import the mixdown. The Ticks line up perfectly.
–Add SIR to the master insert.
(make sure the dry path is audible through SIR - do not need to open an impulse)
–Do another mixdown.
–Import that mixdown.
–Both Ticks are moved to the right. Neither are in sync with the originals.
–There is a bit of NULL audio at the beginning of the mix.
–The last Tick has been truncated.
–The second mixdown file is the same size and length of the first mixdown.

The second mixdown has slid the audio data to the right, cutting off the end. This is a separate issue than cutting off the tails of the reverb. It’s the effect latency.

Any effect that adds latency will cause this. Mixdown is not compensating for effect latency.

Each instance of SIR will slide the tracks more and more. Two instances and the offset is almost a whole beat at 134 BPM. The last tick will be completely gone by then.

Yep. That’s a long standing bug too Phoo. Thus my rants about mixdowns being of unequal length. The thing is, it seems to be different from one mixdown to the next. It may be off by only a few ms or tens of ms but it should sample accurate. Every time.

D