Track Sync Problem

Vocals getting ahead of music

In my recent thread called “RAM vs. CPU Speed,” I’ve briefly referenced the fact that I am having some problems when I get up around 4-5 tracks in a song. Today I have a specific scenario I need help with…

I had previously recorded drum, bass, and 2 guitar tracks for this song, and tonight I recorded my son singing. I listened as he sang, and his timing was fine. But when I play back the song in nTrack, everything sounds fine at first, but the vocals seem to speed up (or the other tracks slow down) the more time passes. By one minute into the song, there is a very noticeable timing problem.

My first question is whether my wav file actually recorded correctly and the problem is just in the playback timing or whether the recording itself was off. Then my next question is what I can do to correct the problem.

Any ideas how to correct this?

P.S. For those of you who read or responded to my other thread, I have gone back to check on DMA settings. It was enabled for the primary IDE channel and disabled for the secondary. I don’t know which my hard drive is on, but I just now enabled it for the secondary as well and am about to reboot. Don’t know if that will make a difference.

What soundcard do you have?
If it is an SB Live you may need to set the sample rate at 48Khz as that is what the internal clock works at.

Also what driver are you using?

Also in the preferences set it to use the wav timer (your soundcard clock) and not system timer. There are 2 places you set this…
The options tab and also the MIDI tab

HTH,
Rich

Quote (RichLum @ Nov. 26 2005,18:35)
What soundcard do you have?
If it is an SB Live you may need to set the sample rate at 48Khz as that is what the internal clock works at.

Also what driver are you using?

Also in the preferences set it to use the wav timer (your soundcard clock) and not system timer. There are 2 places you set this...
The options tab and also the MIDI tab

I am using a SoundBlaster MP3+ external USB device for recording. I currently have it set at 48khz sampling frequency. I know this is the correct setting for SB Live!--not sure for my device.

I'm using MME drivers. I'd like to use WDM. They appear as an option, but every time I try to select them, I get error messages saying that I need to make sure the selected sampling frequency and recording format are supported by my card. This occurs regardless of the sampling frequency I select. When I go back to MME drivers, I get no errors, and I can successfully record. Any ideas on that one?

Regarding the timer issue, it was set to use system timer in both places. I have now changed it to wave timer in both places.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Quote
This occurs regardless of the sampling frequency I select. When I go back to MME drivers, I get no errors, and I can successfully record. Any ideas on that one?

What bit depth are you using? I have yet to get 24 bits to work with WDM or ASIO on my machine.
Quote (phoo @ Nov. 27 2005,12:42)
This occurs regardless of the sampling frequency I select. When I go back to MME drivers, I get no errors, and I can successfully record. Any ideas on that one?

What bit depth are you using? I have yet to get 24 bits to work with WDM or ASIO on my machine.
I assume I'm using 16-bit, but I don't know for sure how to verify that.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Quote
I assume I’m using 16-bit, but I don’t know for sure how to verify that.

Click the little settings hammer in the input and output meters.
Quote (phoo @ Nov. 27 2005,19:51)
I assume I'm using 16-bit, but I don't know for sure how to verify that.

Click the little settings hammer in the input and output meters.
Thanks. I checked, and everything says 16-bit.

so if under my options tab ,it says"use system timer for playback time/recording time,do i want to uncheck them box’s?
also,my soundcard is set at 48sampling freq,but n track is set at 44,do i wanna change that too?

Yes, uncheck the Use System Time checks for both recording and playback and set recording and playback to be 48k in n-Tracks.

I have posted the details in the thread “RAM vs. CPU Speed,” but I wanted to let anyone following this thread know that I solved my problem. Not sure exactly what step(s) actually resolved the problem, but I ended up reinstalling SoundBlaster drivers, updating .NET runtime, updating to the newest nTrack version, and selecting WDM drivers (which I couldn’t do before reinstalling the sound drivers). Now everything works! Hurray!

Thanks for the help!

The older VIA chipsets used to have timing problems when used with audio. I think they’ve sorted that problem out now, but if you do have a VIA chipset, it might be worth checking you have the latest 4-in-1 drivers.

EDIT: Ok, just saw your latest post, so please ignore the above. :D