tracks different length when openig file

Please forgive me if this has been covered before, but I wondered if anyone knows why sometimes I have to “pull” some tracks to there original length when opening some projects. I have tried re saving the project and renaming it and also deleting the wave peak files so the project has to reload the song files but… when it’s reloaded I have the same problem! It’s driving me nuts! This happens with the newest version of n-track and older ones. Is it something i’m doing?

Any help appreciated.

Hi iand:
I think there was a discussion regarding this issue, some time ago… I think that the guys who had an issue with this condition came up with a resolve to this… Have you gone to the “VIEW” menue and scrolled to REFRESH view… Then “Recalculate” wave files? This might help, I would try that, Well…?? I have never encountered this , but I’m sure that one of the guys up here can help you with a resolve… There’s some pretty clever n-Track Guys lurking around here that can put you on the right track…

Bill…

Hi Iand :)

I have the same problem sometimes, something I have tried that seems to work is stretching out the short tracks to their proper length and then freezing them.

The next time I opened the song the tracks that had been frozen were the correct length.

Give it a try and see

:)

Ted

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your replies. I have just tried both methods without success. This is quite a weird problem as sometimes when i’ve had this problem just saving the project cures it but some projects just won’t co operate!.

I will have another try tomorrow though.

Thanks again.

Ian

Ran a few tests: if the .sng file has “Read only” attributes set, it will open the .wav file in the exact condition it was saved-in i.e. not stretched to it’s full length, if this was how it was displayed when it was saved.

Resaving again when stretched will have no effect, as n-Tracks does not warn you that it cannot save changes to a “Read only” file.
Remove the “Read only” attribute first: note that this is a classic sign of the .sng file having been loaded from a CD. (Perhaps from a backup CD?)
Files (of any type) copied from a CD will automatically have the sane attribute as they had while on the CD (does not apply to program files which have been installed from a CD)

Hope that this sorts out your problem.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Ran a few tests: if the .sng file has “Read only” attributes set, it will open the .wav file in the exact condition it was saved-in i.e. not stretched to it’s full length, if this was how it was displayed when it was saved.

Resaving again when stretched will have no effect, as n-Tracks does not warn you that it cannot save changes to a “Read only” file.
Remove the “Read only” attribute first: note that this is a classic sign of the .sng file having been loaded from a CD. (Perhaps from a backup CD?)
Files (of any type) copied from a CD will automatically have the sane attribute as they had while on the CD (does not apply to program files which have been installed from a CD)

This “problem” has been around for some time, but iirc later versions of n-Track do warn you if you open files with read-only attributes.
Quote (GuitarTech @ Oct. 05 2005,19:01)
Ran a few tests: if the .sng file has "Read only" attributes set, it will open the .wav file in the exact condition it was saved-in i.e. not stretched to it's full length, if this was how it was displayed when it was saved.

Resaving again when stretched will have no effect, as n-Tracks does not warn you that it cannot save changes to a "Read only" file.
Remove the "Read only" attribute first: note that this is a classic sign of the .sng file having been loaded from a CD. (Perhaps from a backup CD?)

Thanks for the info GuitarTech,

Just checked the offending .sng and .wav files and none of them are set as "read only".They are recorded tracks as opposed to imported cd tracks as well. Looks like I may have to live with this problem!

Thanks again though.

Ian

Hi iand
I am currently experiencing this same annoying problem & the only way I have found to get round it is to stretch the wave files out to their proper length & then save the song in a completely different place on the PC. When I now open the song from there, hey presto its the proper length.

Jetboy

Has anyone tried deleting all the .npk files?

Saving to a different place fixes the problem make me think that the .sng file isn’t getting overwritten even if it’s not set to read only. Id the directory set ti read only, even though the file itself is?

How about being logged on as an administrator? If you aren’t an administrator you can’t write to some directories. That would prevent saving the changes.

Thanks Jetboy!.

Seems this is the way to go for now. I’ve saved the corrected file to a new folder within the folder.

Thanks to all the replies from everyone :)