Tracktion

Anyone use it?

Tracktion.

I downloaded it & got a license file. It recognized my Echo Audio Asio WMD device but no sound when I played the sample projects that came with it. Any one else get it to work?

I’ll say one thing right off the bat - I hate programs that come up with their own UI primitives, like this one does, instead of using standard windows.

Mike

I’ve had it working before, but just didn’t like it…

Now that Mackie have made v1 free, I might get a registered version… I’ll see, I rather like N version 4, and I use Podium too - both have their (very) strong points. I don’t really want to go installing another host if I don’t need to.

The piano roll is my main sticking point… I like the ability to have a plug active only on a particular clip, but that’s about it!

wrt to no sound… sorry! not a clue!

DSP

Quote (CosmicCharlie @ Nov. 23 2004,23:32)
I'll say one thing right off the bat - I hate programs that come up with their own UI primitives, like this one does, instead of using standard windows.

The standard Windows UI is getting tired, and it's not always the best interface for every task or process. So I for one am glad to see Tracktion go in a new direction. It's not to everyone's taste, but I've heard that alot of users, especially those focusing on loop-based music, really like it

For me, nTrack is still the most comfortable app, mainly cos it emulates the old-world environment of consoles and tape-decks that I'm used to.

Tracktion is fantastic and easy and cheap and DIFFERENT!

The standard Windows UI is getting tired, and it's not always the best interface for every task or process.
I agree in principle with this statement but IMO Tracktion was a fallback to the days of Turtle graphics. My point is that the Windows UI is standard & everyone knows how to use it. Why change it unless you have something better which Tracktion is NOT?
I agree in principle with this statement but IMO Tracktion was a fallback to the days of Turtle graphics. My point is that the Windows UI is standard & everyone knows how to use it. Why change it unless you have something better which Tracktion is NOT?

It's been a while for me... :D

One goal of Jules (Tracktion's developer) was to create a cross platform library so he could create versions of Tracktion for Mac and Linux. In order to do that, he had to completely abandon the Windows GUI widgets and created his own.

The resulting library is called Juce and is open source. Not sure of the link, but you can probably google it.

...ok...back to my lurk cave... :)

Right & he achieved that (like I said Turtle graphics) :laugh:

My main issue is that it won’t playback anything even though it recognizes both analog input/output devices. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I wish I could help, but I’m not a Tracktion guru…sorry… :(

There is a pretty lively and helpful forum for Tracktion here. I’m sure you’ll get your questions answered quickly.

Quote (MidnightToker @ Nov. 24 2004,11:30)
Right & he achieved that (like I said Turtle graphics) :laugh:

My main issue is that it won't playback anything even though it recognizes both analog input/output devices. Any ideas?

Thanks.

... don't know what you are using as a soundcard, but I too was having no joy with audio in the latest Tracktion, using a Soundblaster PCI128 (my Audiophile 2496 is taking a vacation in a static-proof bag til I clean up my piece-of-s!*t Athlon PC).

From some advice in the kvr-vst forum, I got the ASIO4ALL universal ASIO drivers, they installed no problem, and pouf! Tracktion was noisy and workin'! :cool:

My point is that the Windows UI is standard & everyone knows how to use it. Why change it unless you have something better which Tracktion is NOT?

Disagree. In many respects, Tracktion's UI is better at the defined task of creating/editing loop-based music. Alot of users seem to think so, anyway.

played around with tracktion a bit the other day… i really like how it looks… one of my favorite UI designs has to be the new ableton live, which this kinda reminds me of. i’m a big fan of the “simple and colorful” look, using subtle animations. personally, i am not happy with where n-track has been going with the UI/graphic changes in v4 (those icons, the shading, all that)… i much prefer the simplicity/cleanness of 3.3… :p probably just me?

anyways, back to tracktion: the software seems very efficient in terms of processor and ease of use: the freeze functionality is the A+++, fx “racks” functionality seems very usable for me… (do we have anything like that in n-track 4?)… and the visual routing of audio through the plugin chain is awesome and makes sense to me.

HOWEVER, as an n-track 3.3 user and there are still a few things that keep me on the fence between the two (tracktion and n)…

i am still not used to tracktion’s method of handling “clips” and the audio data inside a clip, etc… it seems very powerful, but more complicated than i would ever need.

i also don’t like how tracktion draws waveforms and handles zooming… there seems to be more “room” to view waveforms in n-track, and the waveform detail is a little better in n, imo.

i also don’t really like the built in plugins tracktion gives you… n’s eq is more powerful and easy to use and i couldn’t get the compressor/limiter to do anything in tracktion.

the other thing is the lack of an overall “mixer” in tracktion… some people love that it doesn’t have one… i’m not sure where i am with that :p

so… not to start any flaming over this… i’ve tried to be objective here :wink: tracktion looks interesting, but it really depends on what you’re doing… this software DOES seem very powerful if you do alot of loop/sample based work… which i do NOT.

however… i… neeeeeeeed… freeeeeeeeeeeze… :O

oh, as far installation and getting my ASIO drivers to work… no problems… finding out how to “monitor” my inputs while recording, etc, took a bit of searching.

however.... i.... neeeeeeeed..... freeeeeeeeeeeze

If you're that desperate, you can always just mixdown the tracks that you want to freeze. Bit more work, but achieves the same end.

Maaszy

yes, and that is what i would currently suggest to people… however, it is a little bit more work… large projects can turn into a host of sub-mix projects, mixing down and re-importing, etc… it can also become a version management nightmare when making alot of changes to different stuff during the “experimentation” phase.

i still do it this way, but was FORCED to when i had a slower computer.

i am not desperate for this feature, but there must be users who are… having to deal with a project that has just ONE TOO MANY FX… then they have to go and mixdown that stuff, stick it in a new project, re-import it, etc, etc… i think it would be the first thing that would make n-track appeal to those users with “lesser” equipment…

personally, i want it because i know it will still be a big benefit to users like me who DO have a faster computer and understand how much more i can get out of my system with a quick easy to use freeze function.