Tractor Music

http://fschnell.net/WordPress/?p=1094

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Nicely, Steve.

I've been trying to help a local band get some recording done but the drummer (also a farmer) simply can't use a click track - this could be the way forward.

that thing keeps pretty good time! :agree:

Tony, have you tried recording the rythm guitar to a click, then let the drummer record his part along to that, then re-record all the other parts to follow the drums? this has worked for me in the past similar situation.

dontcare

Yup. That’s a good idea, dontcare, but the truth is that this guy is just about hopeless with cans on.

that too is common,

sometimes the headphones seem to put a disconnect between the drummer and what he is playing…

Is there a way to get a speaker set up pointed at him and away from the kit so he can feel comfortable playing but have it not be picked up too much by the mics?

I’m thinking some of the tricks they use for live recording, short range unidirectional mics and/or ones that only pick up high decibel sounds directly in their proximity, pointed away from the speaker.

You may get minimal bleed from the guitar (especially if you are using paired ribbons as overheads) but the majority of the kit should be able to be captured without the speaker sound on those tracks (snare, kick, toms, hi-hat.) push comes to shove you can always add in the cymbals to avoid what the overheads pick up of the speaker sound, unless the guy is using stamped Turkish Zildjans samples will only improve the ability to make a quality mix.

dontcare

It really is a skill that must be developed. You know who is really good at it? Phoo. :agree:

that video is awesome, so I posted it to facebook.

yea, your right…

I was thinking maybe he could give some tip here for minimizing bleed…doesn’t sound like Tony has the time to wait for the drummer to develop skills! :p

dontcare

The main trick is to relax and not TRY to be perfect with the click. The caveat is that some drummers are too uneven for that to work. A click is a guide and not THE beat. When playing with a click if you can hear it you are probably not with it, then at that point compensating just sounds offbeat.

Lot’s of folks, not just drummers, simply can’t do it. It really is no use trying to force it. Best option is having as many musicians playing together as possible, even if just the drums are being recorded. Of course, record the other tracks if at all possible. Replicating a groove after the fact it nearly impossible.

As from minimizinf bleed, don’t worry about it too much unless it’s really obvious. It should blend in and get masked during the main parts. Selective muting or lowering gain helps get rid of it otherwise.

AND…if it’s going through speakers as neat trick is to have it coming out of two speakers that are wired out of phase. It gets cancelled a bit in the mics if the distance is just right, but the drummer can hear it pretty good anyway.

(thanks for the compliment
:;): )

Cheers guys (sorry Duff) solid stuff phoo. There’s a whole thread here somewhere.
One failed attempt was with a visual metronome on a laptop with adjusted screen res’ so it practially filled it, flashing, Red-Green-Green-Green…useless.
The next plan, as and when opppotunity arises, is to record the rest of the band to a click and then see how the drummer gets along with that.

Quote: (phoo @ Dec. 23 2010, 9:15 PM)

When playing with a click if you can hear it you are probably not with it, then at that point compensating just sounds offbeat.

that is a really amazing insight, phoo.
:laugh: