Tragic

Your favourite depressive songs

Given the general mood in the rest of the World this morning, I’ve picked a few appropriate theme songs. Actually, a couple of these were played on the radio here today! :laugh:

Tragedy - The Bee Gees

1999 - Prince

The end of the road - Boyz II Men

Tears in heaven - Eric Clapton

It’s the end of the world as we know it - R.E.M.

The Future’s So Bright I’ll Have To Wear Shades Timbuk 3

Politician Cream

dave

I can’t stop dancing :laugh: :laugh:

Ali bin Gali :cool:

“Given the general mood in the rest of the World” < — :laugh:

“There’s a Tear in My Beer”
“I Fall To Peices” Patsy Clyne? Betsy Smith? one of the late great’s not doupt.
“Unchained Melody”–Righteous Brothers OK not exactly on topic, but a beautifuly sad song none the less.
:p

Don’t Let It Bring You Down … Neil Young
When The Levee Breaks … Led Zeppelin

Heart Of The Sunrise … Yes

Ok, so I have no idea Anderson is talking about in this, but it is enigmatic, sad and longing, while still strangely uplifting. It is a beautiful composition.

Saddest song i know is Seventeen by Janis Ian.

tj

Tears In Heaven still makes me cry. Clapton wrote another tear jerker about his son’s death called When the Circus Left Town (or something like that). I can’t imagine how he survived Connor’s death - I think it would kil me if one of my kids died.

Some of the saddest songs are by Jackson Browne IMO. His saddest one is “Sleeps Dark and Silent Gate” which I think is about his wife’s suicide.

Quote (MidnightToker @ Nov. 04 2004,11:56)
Tears In Heaven still makes me cry. Clapton wrote another tear jerker about his son's death called When the Circus Left Town (or something like that). I can't imagine how he survived Connor's death - I think it would kil me if one of my kids died.

I agree Mike, that is on of the saddest song I've ever heard.
And not sad in a good way like some other artist get away with.
I just never could get into that one, especially knowing the story behind it.
With all due respect:
Clapton was a great songwriter in his heyday. I would have thought that something so trajic would have inspired much more interesting melody.(like he did with Cream) I was expecting something much darker, and brooding when an artist of his calliber was hit by such an gastly event.
But it is what it is. A combination of a man getting older, loosing his edge, and loosing a child.--not a good combination IMHO. It's like a nurshery ryme jingle gone bad. --but nobody want's to tell him.
I don't know how he even played that song.... :( The emotion is definitly there, but the compostion is just too predictable and mundane for me to enjoy.--come on Clapton, I know you can do better. You used to use such screaming leads, and haunting, bending notes/ melodies. I know that stuff is still inside you! Begging to get out, and this was your one chance and you missed it...

:(

I'm sorry Eric, but someone had to tell you.

jerm
Quote (jeremysdemo @ Nov. 04 2004,21:52)
come on Clapton, I know you can do better. You used to use such screaming leads, and haunting, bending notes/ melodies. I know that stuff is still inside you! Begging to get out, and this was your one chance and you missed it...

Hi jhonan!
I disagree!

I´m sure he sang, composed and performed exactly the way he felt in his soul and heart at that time.

Do better? So that we should be satisfied??
What about his feelings?

I believe that making music is sometimes also some sort of self healing.

My own songs are "voices"/expressions from my soul.
If people don´t like my songs I don´t blame them - it´s their right not to - but on the other hand;
Respect my work and the inner feelings that I openhearted have put into my songs.

Just my opinion.

One of my favourites is Hopeless Romantic by Rick Derringer

Kind regards
Henrik
:)

The Smashing Pumpkins - "33"
The Cure - "Trust"
Depeche Mode - “Condemnation”

“Shiny Happy People” REM

‘The Final Cut’ by Waters-driven Pink Floyd. The whole album is totally depressing. It’s about England/Great Britain/United Kingdom/Whatever losing its way in the post-WW2 decades, betraying the promise bequethed by those who fought and died for it.

Different era ('81), different country, same world, same sentiment.

Quote (henrik @ Nov. 05 2004,09:45)
Quote (jeremysdemo @ Nov. 04 2004,21:52)
come on Clapton, I know you can do better. You used to use such screaming leads, and haunting, bending notes/ melodies. I know that stuff is still inside you! Begging to get out, and this was your one chance and you missed it...

Hi jhonan!
I disagree!

I´m sure he sang, composed and performed exactly the way he felt in his soul and heart at that time.

Do better? So that we should be satisfied??
What about his feelings?

Just my opinion.

Hey Henric,

Just my opinion as well, not that I am anyone to listen to.
He's the multiplatnum artist, I'm a lowly unknown.
Just don't care for the predictability and composition of the song.
He has alot of great ones (LAYLA) which hold my interest throug~out. But this one is like a fruity loop to me.
The beginning melody in particular is repeated too many times not only with the lyrics, but then in the lead as well. All though his playing is top notch and I'm shure it does sound exactly how he wanted it. I just loose interest after the first round, when it quickly returns to the beggining of the loop.
There's plenty of things a producer could have suggested to make it more palatable for a more eclectic ear as mine. But I doupt at the time, anything was said to him at all, about that song or the "Circus" one. --I mean what sort of a heartless person would even dare approach a person in that sort of state. But I have to disagree with you somewhat with the whole "Do Better? So we should be satisfied"-thing. Everything can be improved, and no-one is beyond reproach in my book.--not even Eric. And not so we could be satisfied, but so the song could be improved and presented to it's fullest potential. Maybe instead of having the lead do the same notes the melody did, create a new sub-melody that would have only been contiued by a later verse. Try a break or piano bridge to break up the monotany, dunno no.
Anyway, He was happy with it's simplicity, and played it from his heart I'm shure. Does that always make a great song? dunno again.
If you play from your heart as you say, and like your songs the way they are, more power to you.
I just look at music as an open book, And I know things can always improve, and just because I play a song from the heart doesn't inherently garrantee it is a great song. -there are so many other factors that go into a great song, other than just feeling it in your heart. IMHO.

:cool:
Quote (clark_griswold @ Nov. 05 2004,11:18)
"Shiny Happy People" REM

I just got that one! LMFAO!

Pete, I have to agree on “Heart of the Sunrise”. Whether it’s the cacophony that precedes it, or the melody/lyrics themselves, I cannot say, but it is very moving.

Leonard Cohen: Almost anything. As someone once said; “Music to cut your throat by”. :)

Bruce Springstein: First two albums before he decided to become Bruce Springstein.

But, the most moving piece of music ever, one guaranteed to bring tears to my eyes, I sadly can’t recall its name…

Back in the 70’s there was a wee TV programme called “light of experience”. It was a religious, but non-secular, 15 minute filler put on just before close down. People talked about “experiences” that had changed their lives, and as you can imagine, it was just the sort of tedious programme to put even the hardiest insomniac to sleep.

Within a month, it had ratings equaling prime time TV!

The reason, the theme music.

It was an unbelievably haunting piece of music by Geordes Zhamfir on pan pipes either called “The Theme from Light of Experience” or “Donna de Jahla” or something like that.

I wish I still had it, or could find it again.

Ali.

Thorn Tree in the Garden - Derrick and the Dominoes

(I think that’s the name of it)

The Last Day I was Happy - Scarling

Heart of the Sunrise. Was the drums ad-lib on this song. I’m entranced every time I still listen to this. Bill Bruford, I think was the drummer at the time of the studio recording.