transfering config files between PCs

halfway there -

SO NEAR YET SO FAR !!

having found that N genetates an XML file when it is closed, and opening the XML file in NOTEPAD showed that it contains details on (as far as i can see its a long file) every setting in N - so if N outputs this file can N input this info and change the settings on one PC to another ? -

i had my own N setup running on one PC (build 2311)- i upgraded N on my other PC to match opened N on default settings - then closed it -

i then transfered the XML file from on PC to another, if N could read the XML file the PC running default N should change to the other PCs setup - did it do it - NO -

so the XML is an output only file, ie N writes the file but cannot read it -

next stage -

i closed down the default N and transfered the following files from the other PC -

Ntrack.exe.config
ntrack.cfg

opened default N again and HO HO it changed to the settings of my other PC - WELL ALMOST - the layout changed to match the other but it remained on default skin - (this was expected) -

the only things that did not transfer where the VU meter behaviour and clip settings - BUT these are not remembered anyway, and have to be reset when upgrading - THIS HAS TO BE CORRECTED BY Flavio as they play a major part in the settings of some songs and should be remembered as part of Ns config file -

next stage - on my original setup PC i set up a song with Ns compressor bypassed, transfered song to other PC, opened song and compressor was bypassed - close song opened another compressor was not bypassed, so N got that right - so you can transfer configs between PCs but compared to transfer by by XML file it is very messey -

Flavio, HOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO WAIT BEFORE N CAN READ AN XML FILE ? - it would open up a whole new range of possabilities for Ntrack users -

Dr J

UPDATE, having shut everything down i remembered that N does in deed read XML files as skins are in XML format, so i tried to import the config2.xml file in through skins import, well it read it OK, changed a couple of colours but thats all -

Dr J

I’ve read through both threads on this transfer config files thing and still can’t imagine it being all that useful. What WOULD be useful? If n-Track offered a choice at start-up, “Do you want to use A,B,C or D Audio/MIDI interface?” You select the appropriate interface and go. No futzing around in prefs. Really handy for users with more than one interface and especially great for laptop users.

D

YES thats another aspect discussed in other threads - if it was to be, then you may have to set N up manually once for each combination you wanted to use, (this for most users would be a one time operation), once the settings had been saved then a select option at startup would do what you wanr -

this would work if one N user wants to send their settings to another for a particular purpose IE, a member may say in this forum that they cannot get X to work, a member who has X working could send their working X config by XML to the other person - problem solved -

data from the XML fle - audio device last used is presented in plain text as below

USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX

USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX- 2

USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX- 3

USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX- 4

USB Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX

MIDI device last used is by CLASS and OBJECT - i presume this is because Windows allocates MIDI a device ID and does not use manufacturers names for selection -

N refers to

which looks like a “C++ boost” lookup table that references the CLASS/OBJECT IDs and returns plain text to show device names in M - where is i have yet to find out, could be a Windows call -

Dr J

I was thinking
:)
The hardware/settings select process might be
realized if you could install another instance
of N to a different folder. But when you install,
it’s going to delete your previous install.
:disagree:
I’m going to try to work on a .reg fudge to
see if I can get around that.

Hi Gents:

I think this feature would be especially interesting if n-Track users were to share projects between collaborators…

The other object to sharing n-Track’s config. settings is to see how different DAWs behave with someone’s config settings when they have issues regarding n-Track’s performance among users and their machines…
If the machine is running out of resources that’s fine…
but if n-Track is not config’d correctly that’s a different story…
Sharing config files might help users’s issues…
To some degree…

Having a "Config. Folder and the ability to access a choice in a drop-down menu On-the-Fly, so-to-speak, might be a nice option to have available…
or
if that wouldn’t work then to choose a config, file at Timeline/Launch - Time…
or something like that…

You see…
for me and when I was tracking I’d have one machine set-up for Tracking …
but…
the machine I mix-and-edit with looks different as to it’s configuration settings…
Skins/Audio Cards/ and all of that stuff… However, it would have been nice to swap config settings, between machines, with little-or-no cafuffle…

Bill…