Try to mix audio and midi

I can’t figure it out

Times like this I really feel my age. Not because I can’t figure things out, that has always been a challenge, but lately I just want to get down to it and not have to spend so much time just gettting something to work . . . So:
I have finally managed to get a midi file and an audio file loaded into Ntrack. However, the midi will only play if I have the vertual Roland out selected and the audio will only play if I select the audio card.
Is there a way?
Thanks,
Bax

Where are you selecting these? in the preferences?
The audio and midi devices are selected and set in different and separate areas in the preferences.

Once you have selected which audio and midi devices you want to use in preferences you can then route each audio track to any of your available audio devices (depending onwhat you selected in preferences).
You can also route each midi track to any of the midi devices you have selected in the midi preferences (or any VSTI or DXi you have loaded in N).

If you right click on a track and select “Output to” you will then get a list of the available midi or audio devices to route that track to.

Are you getting an error message or anything?

HTH

Rich

[quote]lately I just want to get down to it and not have to spend so much time just gettting something to work [/qulte]. They have a name for that. It’s called “wisdome”. One of the BENEFITS of getting older!

By “the Roland”, do you mean the Microsoft Wavetable software synth, built into Windows? If so, you don’t want to use that if you can avoid it. But there’s a workaround, suitable for cases like yours. More importantly, there are better solutions but unfortunately require more investigation and technical confusion. :O

The problem is that the MS Wavetable synth opens the wave output device, and n-Track tries to open the wave output device exclusively. Ergo, no go. (This didn’t happen with n-Track V3 for some reason.) There are other problems with the MS wavetable synth, BTW, which we’ll see below.

The workaround is to click the “Render Song” toolbar button and use the “Convert MIDI track to audio” wizard. Make a note of the steps it does for future reference. Be sure not to delete the MIDI track at the end, instead just mute it – in case you decide to make changes.

Now you have an audio track corresponding to the MIDI track. Unfortunately, the audio track from the MIDI will probably be delayed – the notes will be late. You can adjust for this manually by using the “move wave files” tool and sliding it left (zoom way in to get it close). As you can see, this isn’t very good if you want to tweak the MIDI track in the piano roll and listen to how your changes sound quickly.

Here are two solutions. There are probably more.

Probably the simplest is to get a “SoundBlaster Live!” soundcard (cheap on ebay) and install it in your system. This soundcard has a built-in hardware MIDI synth and sounds pretty good. If you do this, be sure to ask us because there are a couple details to get right when using it.

Another way forward is to download the “sfz” soundfont player (a plugin instrument), and also find a good GM soundfont to use with it. Someone here may have a good suggestion for one. This also involves a bit of a learning curve until you get straight what’s going on, but after that it rocks. I prefer this to the SoundBlaster method because you can convert the MIDI to audio quickly and easily.

HTH
Jeff