Trying to Build

An Old 1.2 mhz. P-111 Machine…

Hi Mark A:

I got some basic hardware installed in a box and put in a Boot Disk that I thought should have fired it up…
NO-Go with the Floppy Drive…
And Error 40 came up on the monitor…
Then it said remove disk and insert a Boot Disk and press Enter…
I thought I had a faulty floppy drive…
SO, I replaced the drive…
Still NO-GO…
????
That thing should have fired up with that floppy disk…

Bill…

Geez Bill… make that thing into a boat anchor already. Move out of the Stone Age… Instead of investing in old, unsupported crap, bite the bullet and save yourself boatloads of misery …

KW

I Know…
I can hear you all the way from Ba ma without this message board…
:p
:laugh:
That Audio hardware was way ahead of it’s time…
Back then, the drivers and their designers became so inter-mingled with Steinberg that it nearly brought Lexicon to it’s knees…
I’m not sure that I could quote the History so I’ll not go down any of those roads…
Maybe Wiki has it documented…
Back then, I wanted to show Lexicon how n-Track was working with their hardware and I wanted to go over to Bedford MA, one fall with my computer and all to see if they might show me an angle of my setup that I might benifet from their experience…
I had everything packed in the car and I told them I would call them to say I was on my way and would meet them the following morning at their Big Building, just north of Boston…
I made to call about 4pm my time to say I was LOADED AND READY TO ROLL…
But someone over there backed out and I never did get to show them how their Hardware worked with n-Track…
TOO Bad…
The opportunity to learn from their point-of-view fell through…
I do believe the management became frightened of working outside of Stienberg… What I really wanted to understand about what I had was the issues surrounding Latency…
and how to lessen it’s behaviours…
I understand now that it had (Latency) nothing to do with Lexicon and or n-Track …
I believe it had to-do with the time it takes the audio to write to the hard drive and return from the hard drive…

Bill…

Bill, have you tried another floppy disk?

And are you sure you’ve got the cable connected round the right way on the floppy drive?

Does the light on the front of the floppy come on and stay on?

Also check to see if it’s enabled in the BIOS

Mark

Me again…

Here’s a 98 boot disk but on CD rather than floppy:

http://www.mailbeyond.com/windows-98-boot-cd-download-this-iso

It’s an ISO file that you can burn to CD (ask if you need help to do that).

Hopefully you can boot from this CD, and if you are lucky you can then swap out the CD for the Win98 CD and continue your install. If not, I’m sure we can fix the ISO to include your Win98 files.

Mark

sigh I just hate to see you throwing good money (and time) after bad. That thing died for a reason. No one liked it well enough to keep buying it, Lexicon’s support SUCKED and their software developers abandoned it. So should you. :)

Buy yourself a decent, modern interface with Vista (or better yet, Win 7) support, solid ASIO drivers and call it a day. Win 98SE era hardware? Total waste of time when you have that dual core box sitting there begging to be put to work with a nice MOTU, RME, Tascam, EMU, ETC… interface.

KW

PS However, if you like doinking around with junk better than recording tunes… :)

As you are all aware, I wasn’t gonna return to work in the fall school term…
I was gonna have time on my hands and relatively all the time in the world to design-and-build that Stereo Guitar Amp…
I’m still working on it, by the way…
After I build a couple of '98SE Machines…
hehe

I guess that’s all gone… out-the-window… I am unable to afford all that Junk I’m blowin what little money I have…
That and redesigning The Wheel…

Thanks for those links, Mark A…
I’ll see if they open any doors over the next day-or-so…
I’ll post back here if I discover any revelations…

I checked very closely…
I put the ribbon wire on with the marked side to the low numbers on the socket(s)…
Can the drive be damaged if it’s not plugged in correctly ????
I believe the BIOS says it’s there…

Windows '98SE ?
EH ?

I can remember, I worked all summer trying to Format a Hard Drive with NTSC…
A five year old coulda done it in Five minutes…

Bill…

:)

Anyway, You guys are a Bad Influence on me..
I hope you are all aware..

Quote: (woxnerw @ Jul. 15 2011, 6:12 PM)

Hi Mark A:

Still NO-GO..
????
That thing should have fired up with that floppy disk..

Bill..

If it is a good copy of a Windows 98 Start up diskette it should load the divers for the CD Rom.

From what I gather you have checked the bios and everything looks in order in there, still it never hurts to check the boot order make sure A: is the floppy drive and is Drive 1 and all that jazz.

I would try to write another Windows98 Boot disk (formatted IBM diskette) from an already working 98 machine and try that, for some reason I have had several of those disk fail, but the only way to know is to have two or three of them to compare.
Also, what is the make of the fossil?

If you know the manufacture and board you can sometimes fish out known bios/driver issues that prevent start up which they figured out years ago and that data is sitting around in some forum from 1994.

Anywho, another thing to consider on those old machines is the power supply, #1 culprit, IMHO, you'd be surprised how many times I changed one out and the machine started up fine.

dontcare

Hi Gents:

I’m working away on this machine and I found a floppy that loaded DOS and 98 start up ram and CD and Floppy Drivers and all and everything is running in DOS, finally…
I have a bucket full of old hard drives to choose from… Some are Maxtor and some are Western Digital…
I’d like to use WD hard drives for some reason… I have a bunch of them… I began to go through them and discovered that they or most of them were formatted in NTFS …
I need a drive that will be formatted in FAT 32 for '98SE…
SO, I discovered that I need to first clean the NTFS partition from them so DOS can format the drive… Otherwise I need t setup a DOS Partition…
SO, I found a WD Floppy that writes ZEROS to the drive…
I’m in the process of writing zeros to an 80 gig drive I’m 57% complete now and waiting for it to complete…
I hope when it’s done I can then format a FAT 32 partition on the complete drive of 80 gigs…
My fingers are crossed and so are my toes…
:agree:

I’ll report my progress as-it-goes…

Bill…

I wrote a 20 page reply to the thread and forgot to push the POST button…

Hi Again dontcare:

I got my camera setup this time and took a bunch of photos to add to the photo blog…
I’ll get them posted as the day progresses…
Anyway, the zeros are all written to the drive…
I will see if the drive can now be formatted in FAT 32…

Back later…

Bill…

Hi Bill,

If that doesn’t work you should be able to use Fdisk to delete the partitions on the drive, then re-create what partitions you need. Then use Format to, well, format the drive and you should be good to go.

Another “fun” thing to try would be to run Windows 98 as a virtual machine inside XP or Win7. We used to use VMs a lot for testing out different configurations etc.

I doubt that you’d get the Lexicon hardware to be recognised though.

Hi Mark A:

Glad to see you here…
I got zero’s written to the drive with no issues… However, When I booted with the floppy DOS disk in the machine I ran into my BIG Headache…
I think I know why I am not gonna get this disk formatted with a FAT 32 Partition…

There is a Hidden NTFS file on this drive that keeps Fdisk from running…
I think that’s what I ran into a few years back when I tried this very same thing…
I wanted a dual boot P-4 machine back then…
However, i ended up buying a new drive to make it work…
I didn’t know how to remove the NTFS file from the drive…
back then…
Fdisk thinks there’s a virus on the disk and doesn’t allow formatting the drive…
WD Clear Format will not wipe this partition off the drive and either will the 98SE floppy DOS disk…
I stand corrected on this issue…
BUT back then I spent the whole summer beating my head up, over this…

Anyway, I posted some photos for this exercise up on the blog site…
Here’s the Blog Link…

Here’s one-or-two of the photos…

The machine I attempting to load has a pretty Porky 550 watt Power Supply in it…
and has 1 gig of RAM on one RAM card installed in it… The other machine has a 365 watt power supply and 512 MEG of RAM in it…
Both mother boards are ASUS CUSL2 C boards…
In my opinion, these tow machines were about as stable a P-111 as could be made to work…
Well…
????

I guess I’ll have to Google to see what might be up with reverting the drive back to a FAT 32 partition…

If I’m not slipping on a banana peal, I’m standing in a Cow Pie…

MmAaNn…

Bill…

[EDIT]

I gotta read all your posts to see how much I’m missing in my quest to get these machines up-and-running…

Back Again:

I’m Bone’ing up on all your replies to the thread…
Yes…
Gents…, I discovered that after trying a number of Boot Floppies I found one that worked, where as some earlier ones didn’t…
BUT…
Where I’m bottle necking now is, I am unable to get to the Format stage of this drive…
I believe I’ve deleted the old partition(s) and I re-started the computer to begin the format cycle…
However, there is where this process has run aground…

Two snags…
I have either not deleted the old partitions or I have not created a new partition to format…
I can see a five year old standing behind me with a big smile on his face…

Bill…

Quote: (Mark A @ Jul. 16 2011, 5:19 PM)

Another "fun" thing to try would be to run Windows 98 as a virtual machine inside XP or Win7.
We used to use VMs a lot for testing out different configurations etc.

I doubt that you'd get the Lexicon hardware to be recognised though.

Hi Mark A:

That would sure be a Row-to-Hoe..
To be able to get those drivers to be recognized in Windows 7..

It's just my understanding..
The drivers either turn the electronics On-or-OFF..
in one instance..
to Record..
In another instance the drivers either turn On-or-OFF to get the electronics to reproduce..
The Audio Signal either streams to-or-from the Hard Drive..
SO..
What's so difficult about Drivers for Audio Hardware????

Anyway????

Bill..
Quote: (woxnerw @ Jul. 17 2011, 11:04 AM)

Fdisk thinks there's a virus on the disk and doesn't allow formatting the drive..

Bill,

around the era of that motherboard the manufacturers started adding rudimentary "Virus" protection into the BIOS. Basically it stopped anything that tried to write to important parts of the disk.

Boot into the BIOS and see if you can find anything that looks like virus protection and disable it.

Boot from the DOS floppy and delete ALL the partitions using Fdisk, and then create whatever new partitions you want. Format should then work just fine.
Quote: (woxnerw @ Jul. 17 2011, 12:46 PM)

Quote: (Mark A @ Jul. 16 2011, 5:19 PM)

Another "fun" thing to try would be to run Windows 98 as a virtual machine inside XP or Win7.
We used to use VMs a lot for testing out different configurations etc.

I doubt that you'd get the Lexicon hardware to be recognised though.

Hi Mark A:

That would sure be a Row-to-Hoe..
To be able to get those drivers to be recognized in Windows 7..

It's just my understanding..
The drivers either turn the electronics On-or-OFF..
in one instance..
to Record..
In another instance the drivers either turn On-or-OFF to get the electronics to reproduce..
The Audio Signal either streams to-or-from the Hard Drive..
SO..
What's so difficult about Drivers for Audio Hardware????

Anyway????

Bill..

Well the problem is usually how well the drivers work in a virtual machine and whether the host operating system properly passes the data back and forth to the hardware.