Trying to upgrade from 3.0

Issues with 3.3 and 5.x

Setup: WinXp, Terratec EWS88D (various drivers), 3.0.

I’m presently using 3.0. It does not support plugin latency compensation. It crashes a bit, nothing spectacular, just irritating :slight_smile:

I’ve tried upgrading over the years. What happens with 3.3 is that I cannot use ASIO drivers in 16 bit mode. I want to use ASIO
drivers in 16 bit mode, because with the enhanced stuff (probably to support latency?) I can no longer reliably synch with an outboard VF16 harddisk recorder.

When I try to select 16 bit mode on 3.3, NTrack crashes. Rather, when I select 16 bit mode and then enable monitoring on the record side, it crashes. It is probably not the driver crashing, because I can select 16 bit mode under 3.0.

So I try a recent 5.x demo. The VF16 verifies that the jitter for the MTC stream is under 5% or it will not lock. My hasty conclusion is that the MTC stream with 5.x is over 5% “jitter”*, and it will not lock. I have not taken action to verify that this is the case, but the behavior of the VF16 recorder is such that I’m relatively sure this is the case - selecting say, 8 msec resolution and < 960 clicks per quarter note on the MIDI setup under 3.0 produces the same result.

*using the term advisedly - manual says “speed difference from the master is only 5.6%”

Given this, I would be fine running both 5.x and 3.0 for
the two different roles. I would rather not. If there is some way
to find out what is up with 5.x, I would much prefer that.

I am only licensed for 3.x .

What version of the Terratec drivers are you using? I have an EWS88MT, which I believe uses the same drivers and can use ASIO in 16 bit mode but usually don’t. The latest driver number is 5.51.03.142. I am currently using both the dreaded 4.x and 5.x on the same machine. So I don’t think you should have problems using the 3.x and 5.x together.

One of the problems may be that of the 16/24 bit version of n-Track. n-Track will automatically recognise a 24 bit card and expect you to use the 24 bit version of n-Track. But with the latest builds of 5.x, Flavio has combine the two into one (see his blog). So the latest build might help with your problem.

Paul

I thinK I remember there being some problems running ver 3 and ver 5 on the same machine. I know there is no problem with version 4 and 5 on the same machine. You will want to isolate the sng and npk files from each others - different directories will do that (the npk files are created by each version and there is a difference in them - version 3 npk files can be undated but you can’t run a version 5 on version 3).
There may be Windows Registry problems using 3 and 5 on one machine. I’d watch for problems with that.

Quote: (vanclan @ Oct. 28 2007, 7:48 PM)

What version of the Terratec drivers are you using? I have an EWS88MT, which I believe uses the same drivers and can use ASIO in 16 bit mode but usually don't. The latest driver number is 5.51.03.142. I am currently using both the dreaded 4.x and 5.x on the same machine. So I don't think you should have problems using the 3.x and 5.x together.

One of the problems may be that of the 16/24 bit version of n-Track. n-Track will automatically recognise a 24 bit card and expect you to use the 24 bit version of n-Track. But with the latest builds of 5.x, Flavio has combine the two into one (see his blog). So the latest build might help with your problem.

Paul

I am using various versions of the Terratec drivers. It's 5.51.03.142,
same as what you are using today.

I could easily enough run everything 24 bit, but for this particular "use
case", I don't need it - the recorder is 16 bit.

The problem I have with 5.x is that MTC master support does not meet the needs of the satellite recorder. I *could* stripe SMPTE on one track and
route that the the (unused) main 1/8" out on the Terratec, then route that through a JLCooper PPS-2 I happen to own. I would rather not do that - 3.0
works out of the box.

you said
"I can no longer reliably synch with an outboard VF16 harddisk recorder" - TRUE -

my setup - MTC output via USB to midisprint 2x2 then by cable to MIDI in on my DDX 3616 consol. out from consols MIDI thru to Fostex VF160 - using N track the VF160 sits there scratching, but the DDX3216 locks perfectly -

using Mackie Tracktion to output MTC both the DDX3216 and the VF160 lock OK -

Dr J