Two basic questions

about n-track

A couple of questions:

1. You know the little boxes in between the main in&out-put vu meters and the timeline tracks? Well, how do you get them back because I give up; having tried for days (and read the manual).

2. If you click on the little hammer in the recording vu meter it brings up the “select audio format” window. On the right of this window is a section titled “monitor”. Does anyone know what this does?

THanks

Mike F

1. I’m not sure I know what little boxes you are talking about.
    If it’s V.4 and you mean the little icons for selecting the mixer strips that you want to view, right click on n-Tracks mixer … there’s a few options.

2. This has to do with whatever ASIO drivers you are using and it’s ability to route inputs to outputs for direct monitoring. I have yet to mess with it, as my 828mkII offers all the direct monitoring I need.

HTH

-Ken
  1. You know the little boxes in between the main in&out-put vu meters and the timeline tracks? Well, how do you get them back because I give up; having tried for days (and read the manual).

for version 3.3
    If you mean the [track name, mute,solo,meter] boxes, put your cursor on the right wall of the recording vu meter until it changes to the stretch window mode and pull it right. If this only moves the vu meter then try it a little more to the right of where you did it the first time. It’s very touchy to get it in the right spot.

Thanks Crankz1,

When you say “inputs to outputs”, which ones do you mean?

Thanks

Mike

Nebow,

Well I’m blowed you’re right; who’d have guessed it?

I am indeed indebted to you!

Thank you

Mike F

I just hope I can remember for the future as it’s not really obvious

For future reference: Save the .cfg files (in “C:\ProgramFiles
-Track Studio”) in a backup directory.

Next time you shoot yourself in the foot, or n-Track won’t come up, or something’s hosed, drag those .cfg files back in and start n-Track. You’ll be back to the configuration you used when you saved those files. Best to back 'em up whenever you’ve had a a fair amount of time where everything’s working great.

Quote (Mike Floutier @ Oct. 18 2004,13:15)
Thanks Crankz1,

When you say "inputs to outputs", which ones do you mean?

Thanks

Mike

This all depends on the interface/soundcard you are using.
For each input on the record VU's, you have a hammer to change the settings for that said input.
The monitor section (from my understanding) would allow you to route an input pair to whatever output channel you choose in the drop-down lists, along with input and output levels.
Again, I've not yet used this feature so my total understanding is a bit limited ... but that's my take on it.

Now I get what you were asking in question 1 :cool:
You can undock and resize both the record and playback VU's and move them wherever you like on the screen. This will give a little more timeline view while having the VU's on also. Makes it a little easier to drag the left track bar in and out also.

Thanks crankz1,

I think I begin to see. So you would use this if you had no other useful way of monitoring your input. eg if you’d plugged a guitar straight into your soundcard.

And then you can use the volume controls in this section to balance the monitored input to what ever else was playing back during the recording process.

Thanks again

Mike F