Two monitors

set-up

How does one go about using two monitors? Do I need special hardware, or a switch to enable command in one screen or the other? I know I’ll need a video card that supports dual monitors.

I run dual monitors in XP.
My video card has 2 outputs.
I plug a monitor into each and then enable both in my display proprties in windows.

Set it to “extend my desktop onto this monitor” or somehting like that and you can drag stuff anywhere on the 2 montiors as if it was 1 large widescreen.

You mouse will now not stop at the right hand edge of one monitor and the left hand edge of the monitor anymore.

Also - you don’t necesarily need a video card that supports dual monitors.
My friend used to just have 2 video cards in his PC and run dual monitors…

Rich

Hi Sloom:
You’ll be moveing in a positive direction by installing a “Dual Head” Graphics card for tracking and editing with n-Track.

It makes operating Plugs and looking at your time-line a treat… I have a Matrox G-550 card installed on the P-4 in the studio. It’s setup as a Dual Boot machine. Both desks on that machine can be operated as two monitor machines. The P-111 is another issue. When I installed the G-450 card in that machine both Desks recognized the card and worked flawlessly. Then … an issue developed and now the dual Head operation only works on the '98SE Desk. The XP Desk is another animal… with it’s own set of issues… Whatever happened… Is beyond my grasp… I’m steering away from it … with a passion… :O ???

I think, all n-Trackers should expirence the operation of n-Track with a Dual Monitor Graphics Card… The Time-Line appears on one monitor and Everything else appears on the other screen…

The operation of the Graphics card is config’ed in the Display’s Control Panel… The config of n-Track’s mixers and plugins are controlled by Un-Docking and “Dragging” the Pop-Up screens in n-Track, to the other screen… Haveing the ability of Controlling the Real Estate on the two screens is a “spoiling” feature…

The Matrox G-750 Graphics Card is something you might want to consider…

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

I know I’ll need a video card that supports dual monitors

You actually don’t. You can just add a 2nd graphics card & Windows will understand it.
Quote (Mr Soul @ Jan. 05 2006,18:00)
I know I'll need a video card that supports dual monitors

You actually don't. You can just add a 2nd graphics card & Windows will understand it.
True. But then you have TWO video adapters grabbing PCI buss bandwidth. That can be killer when using some PCI soundcards.

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

True. But then you have TWO video adapters grabbing PCI buss bandwidth. That can be killer when using some PCI soundcards.

PCI soundcards?

Elitist.

My Yamaha XG50 piggy-backed onto an SB16 Pro still kicks ass midi-wise; it’s still my favorite on stage back-up band.

Long live ISA. :D

<!–QuoteBegin>

True - I’m not recommending doing it, just providing information.

Technically, a DAW should be configured to do the simplest of graphics, e.g., 256 colors, no transition effects, etc., etc., etc. - no?

Well, that’s information! Thanks for the replies… I could get right into this, maybe. Cool!

If you have access to a 2nd monitor it is definitely the way to go.

I set mine up similar to Bill
Timeline on 1 screen with playback VU meters horizontal along the bottom, (with transport and toolabars above) and then mixer and recording VU’s on the other screen. If I use any plugins I usually put them on the second screen also.

Allows you to watch the timeline and jump around it whilst still fiddling with the mixer and plugins without minimising windows all the time.

My next step/wishlist is to swap my two 17" CRTs for two 17 or 19" LCDs. Will give me a LOT of desk space back!

Rich

<!–QuoteBegin>

Technically, a DAW should be configured to do the simplest of graphics, e.g., 256 colors, no transition effects, etc., etc., etc. - no?

Yep. I agree with that. Less resources spent on fancy eye candy equals more CPU cycles for audio number mulching. :D

IMO, thats the reason Tracktion can run in such a small “footprint” and be so efficient. Cartoon, Fischer-Price graphics does not require a lot of overhead. I just can’t get past the funky look and NO mixer view… other than that, I like Tracktion pretty well. My son uses it all the time so I get “exposed” to it quite a bit helping him out. n is still my fav. Build 2032 has been good on my system… so far…

D

Nothing that a n-Tracker really needs, but always is nice to know the last toys available.
Look this beast:
Realizm Dual Head

P.S.: Yes, for most of us, sound guys, all that 3D power dont have sense. A pitty. I remember time ago reading from some guys with a project for make a bridge to be able to us the 3d power of that graphic cards in audio dsp. I dont know what happen to that project.

Heh… for fun I’ll have a look at that thing there, Marce, when I get home from work. Gotta split now, I’m just doing my early a.m. check-in!

But all this info is definitely going to get it done- I’ll make sure my card’ll do it (ATI Rage 128). I got a 13" monitor for free (freecycle.org), and I’m gonna try it out for the mixer view, I think. I’ll just put it up on a shelf right in front of me, just over my head. Not too close, though- my grandmother warned me about sitting too close to the tv…

Right! Many thanks!

Edit: So now I’ve got home from work and read these replies- and have gleaned some info.
-I definitely like the idea of the mouse cursor going through from one screen to another, in a continuous path. Makes good sense. How much fun is it to not have to spend time managing windows instead of thinking about what you’re trying to do…!
-If my ATI Rage card won’t support the two-thing, I’ll have a look at that viddy-card recommendation, Bill, thanks.
-Marce, I ain’t got that kind of bread! But it is kind of fun to know about the latest rocket-science. We folks here are, after all, somewhat gadget-oreiented/bound!

Again, I’ve come away with more than I came in with- thanks all for the benefit of your knowledge! I am getting my act together, and now shortly I’ll be getting something done with it! That’s cool.