Two more antediluvian songs

:slight_smile:

Two more rescued from the old. old computer.
ā€œUruk in Harlemā€ - the reference is to Gilgamesh.

And

"My Friend Ladybug" - written with a then 2-year old Ruby. :)

Here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=643221

Tom,
Just listened to URUKā€¦You havenā€™t got Syd Barret stashed away in your place somewhere have you? Stunning effects and guitar work. The improvement in your mixing skills over the last year has been huge. Drums on the last few songs youā€™ve posted are way better than before.
One day Iā€™ll work out what this songs all about :)

Cheers,
Ian

P.S. My cover version of your song ā€˜Glimpse of the Buddhaā€™ is currently up there in this weeks Motagator chart.

All right Bruffie!

Nowā€¦do we make any money on that? :)

Er,No :whistle:

Unless we offer the mp3 for sale rather then free streaming, in which case I suspect the chart position might slip rather a lot :)

Nope, donā€™t want that.

ā€œUrukā€ is a political song, believe it or not - an unfavorable comparison between Gilgamesh and present leaders. Donā€™t push it too far, however - Gilgamesh was not exactly a benevolent ruler, according to the myth.

Just to show my distinct lack of culture, the only reference I can remember to Gilgamesh, was in Star Trek The Next Generation :whistle:

Actually, by the time I was 14yrs old, I had read everything I could find in Greek, Roman and Norse mythology, and The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. Unfortunately, when I was 15, I discovered Deep Purple In Rock :)

ST: TNG - ā€œDarmokā€ - one of the greatest bits of TV literature ever - brilliant story.
Wikipedia, curiously enough, has Picardā€™s summary of Gilgamesh from the end of the episode:

Quote:

Gilgamesh, a king. Gilgamesh, a king. At Uruk. He tormented his subjects. He made them angry. They cried out aloud, ā€œSend our king a companion! Spare us from his madness!ā€ Enkidu, a wild man from the forest, entered the city. They fought in the temple. They fought in the street. Gilgamesh defeated Enkidu. They became great friends. Gilgamesh and Enkidu, at Uruk. The new friends went out into the desert together, where the Great Bull of Heaven was killing men by the hundreds. Enkidu caught the Bull by the tail; Gilgamesh struck him with his sword. Killed him. They were victorious. But Enkidu fell to the ground, struck down by the gods. And Gilgamesh wept bitter tears, saying, ā€œHe who was my companion through adventure and hardship, is gone forever ā€¦ā€

But the full version of ā€œteh worldā€™s oldest storyā€ is full of richness and nutty goodness, not to be missed.
Several translations are on line, but mostly what translators do is ā€œfix upā€ the narrative - there are serious gaps in the story, the story shows up in a number of different texts, and the translations mostly eschew literal translation for a ā€œmodernā€ feel.
Get John gardnerā€™s and John Maierā€™s version - used for 16 cents!

http://www.amazon.com/Gilgameā€¦sr=8-11

edit: I should add, the oldest version of the flood/ark story is in Gilgamesh, which is one reason everyone living in a judeo-chrisitan culture shoudl become familiar with it.

Since weā€™re talking about ancient mythology, I added yet another antediluvian one for you, Bruffie: Icarus Song

Icarus Song - Click Here!