Two Partitions in Windows XP?

I want to reinstall Windows XP on my PC, but I want two separate installations on the same Hard Drive, one clean for recording, one for all my other stuff, photos, web surfing, etc. Is this possible?

In other words, I want to be able to boot up and choose to go to a recording environment, or a “everything else” environment. Is it possible to have two separate registries?

I want to do this because my original installation of n-track worked fine on a relatively empty Dell. However, over a couple of years as I installed and deleted new programs (not related to recording) I knwo the registry changes have made my n-track not work too well. In addtion, there are tons of processes that are installed on startup that i May need, but not for recording.

So I want to be able to have two computers on one drive. Posible?

Yes. My computer is set up exactly like this. However, the only way I know to do this involves re-formatting your entire boot-up hard-drive.

It’s not difficult at all, but it is very time consuming…

Here’s a good place to start:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows…ot.mspx

John, great thanks. I could have Googled to find that, sorry.

Question, when you turn on the computer, does one of the partitions automatically boot up, or is there some kind of menu each time asking you which partition you want to boot to?

Second. I have a second slave drive for files only, I assume it will be visible to both partitions?

Quote (valrecorder @ Mar. 18 2005,14:18)
Question, when you turn on the computer, does one of the partitions automatically boot up, or is there some kind of menu each time asking you which partition you want to boot to?

Second. I have a second slave drive for files only, I assume it will be visible to both partitions?

Yes, you get a menu asking which "version" you want to start.

Either version of XP booted will "see" all your stuff.

If you don't want to format your drive and start over, buy Partition Magic. I got it and Ghost bundled together for $89 plus a $30 rebate (I haven't filed yet!). Both great tools and well worth the money IMO.

I left my standard XP config alone then used Partition Magic to create a second partition, then booted from my XP CD and set it up on the second partition. The "clean" XP partition has ONLY my DAW software on it and XP is streamlined to the max. NO networking crap, messenger services, etc...

It DOES make a difference. If I need web access, a quick reboot into the other partition and bingo!

This is one of the best things I've done for my DAW.

TG

…and after you do all that… go here:

http://www.musicxp.net/

And do all of the tweaks that they recomend to your DAW OS.

Most important – disable all Internet/network access on your DAW OS… Keep the barn-door closed.

You’ll be a very happy camper, indeed.

you’re getting good advice here, Val. I’ll second Partition Magin and Ghost. Both are very handy for our type of work.

teej

Thanks all for the good advice.

I can’t imagine everyone here experiencing problems with n-track wouldn’t benefit from putting n-track alone on its own partition.

I know when I first got my Dell and installed n-track on it new, it worked great, quick. As time went on and I installed and deleted other programs, n-track, and particularly the plug-ins, got slower and crashed with increasing frequency.

Partition Magic sounds great (and pricey), but I really need to reinstall XP anyway, so I’ll format the entire drive and reinstall XP twice, once for each partition. Wow, that’s going to be time consuming!

Quote (valrecorder @ Mar. 21 2005,13:59)
Wow, that's going to be time consuming!

Just have plenty of snacks on hand and relax......... it does take A WHILE!

Good luck!

TG :D

I’ll mention Ghost again. After spending all the time it takes to build Windows from scratch, i create a clone of my system and store it for future use. Comes in real handy when it’s time for my yearly rebuild.

teej

Quote (teej813 @ Mar. 21 2005,16:46)
I'll mention Ghost again. After spending all the time it takes to build Windows from scratch, i create a clone of my system and store it for future use. Comes in real handy when it's time for my yearly rebuild.

teej

Ditto.

If you don't want to format your drive and start over, buy Partition Magic. I got it and Ghost bundled together for $89 plus a $30 rebate (I haven't filed yet!). Both great tools and well worth the money IMO.

$89 bucks versus a BUTTLOAD of grief and misery rebuilding it from scratch........cheap insurance IMO.

TG

For a very separate solution, buy two hard drive caddies, put your existing hard drive in one and plug that in for normal use. Install windows on a second hard drive and Plug that in for n-track use.
Only fit one of the drive bay sleeves to your computer so that either hard drive is the C drive when plugged in.
You could still leave your data drive in the computer.
I second other peoples comments that a minmal installation works much better.
Nick

To add a question here, if I partition my HD, with winxp running standard on one, and winxp tweaked for audio work on the other, how much can I expect windows to take up on each side.

Right now I have a 40 gig drive, and I am trying to figure out how to split it. I want the audio side to be smaller, since I am getting a separate HD for audio files, but I’m not sure how small to make it.

Thanks,
Stully

Xp takes a bit less than 2GB so a I would think a 5 or 6 GB Partition would do and give you space for any program and swap files.
Nick

Hmm. Uh, work with me here…swap files? Does this mean actually swapping files, or are swap files a type of file?

Sorry, I’m new to computers…

Thanks for the info though,
Stully

nick is referring Windows “Swap” or “Paging” file. This is an area on your hard disk that Windows uses to “swap” code out of main memory that is not needed at the moment.

TG

PS Make your “clean” partition 10 gig or so and you’ll be OK. That is, as long as you don’t load a buttload of software and samples and such on it! :)

Stull, I also have a 40G and plan to use 12g for n-track, leaving 25g to 28g for all my other programs. I also have a separate 80g for files.

I recently installed XP Pro in a 2G machine that will be used solely for word processing and internet surfing. It works, but there’s not much space left for anything else.