Two Questions

Computer/DAW Related…

Hi n-Trackers:
I have a couple of questions regarding the computers I have in the studio…

Both of these machines are dual-boot machines with "98SE and XP Home installed on separate hard drives on each machine…

The P-4 intel XP machine reports at Post-up Time that the Ram is DDR “In Linear” mode… Is that the correct mode to have the BIOS report how the ram is installed? Is that how the ram should be installed for best productivity?

The P-111 Intel machine when booted to the '98SE Desk has no Task Bar… It used to be there and on the lower portion of the desk… But I have no idea how it got missing, or how to get it back… I know that the task bar can be re-sized and adjusted to have it collapse into the lower part of the screen… But It removed, altogether… It’s just not there… Is there something I did that caused the task bar to not appear? How can I get it back…??

Thank you for any replies that answer these questions and fix these issues up for me…

Bill…

HI Bill

by taskbar do you mean display at the bottom of your screen ? if so change the screens definition (size) Win98se has a different screen size than XP - if the bios has set it to XP size you will lose a lot of screen when you plug in the XP OS - had this trouble using 98se and ME on two plugin drives so 98se had to go -

yours Dr J

Bill…I have a friend whose task bar had also disappeared. Actually it had been dragged to the side of the screen. If you put your curser to the side or top, is it there? If it is, just drag it back to the bottom.

ya never know

cliff
:cool:

yes, and it’s possible to re-size the taskbar so it’s virtually invisible. Try moving the mouse near each edge of the screen. If the point changes to a double-headed arrow you’ve found the taskbar. Left-click and drag it out.

Hi Guys:
If there is a way to break something I can find several other ways to do it… I think it was by accident that this happened. By not having the task bar there are few ways to get back to the Operating System’s desk… Well, in '98SE… I know “Cont-Alt-Delete”… You have a choice to re-boot or shut down…

I had this marathon session installing updates and plug-ins yesterday… and then all of a sudden this happened…

However, I did see the “double arrow”… but I was unable to drag the task bar from it’s hidden position…

Thanks for the replies you’ve posted on this issue…

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

However, I did see the “double arrow”… but I was unable to drag the task bar from it’s hidden position…

It may be locked. Rightclick when you get that double arrow and unselct “lock taskbar” and try again.

Up to when you’ve figured this out you can also hit the windows key (or ctrl and escape togther) to bring up the start menu.

Thanks guys… I’ll get into the studio before the end of the week and check this out some more… It’s the first time I’ve encountered this issue… If I remember correctly, it was a vertical doubled arrow that I saw… It was beyond the edge of the screen or… the edge of the task bar was not visible on the lower or upper edge of the screen… If it was there… I was unable to drag the bar into view… It is a strange circumstance, to say the least…

Willy, you might be on to something, with your suggestion… If it ain’t one thing, it 2 - or - 3 things…

Bill…