UAD-1 Projekt Pak

a nice little freebie…

If someone has considered buying an Universal Audio UAD-1 Projekt Pak, now might be a good time. They have a promotion campaign until the end of the June: when you register, you get a free LA-2A compressor/limiter plugin.

And I think these high end simulations of vintage audio gear is just the reason why people want the UAD-1 in the first place… besides, of course, that an DSP card will take a lot of load off from the computer’s CPU…

My UAD-1 arrived yesterday, so I haven’t had time to experiment that much yet. Anyway, no problems with the installation and the plugins I’ve tried so far sound functional and gorgeous. The DirectX versions of the plugins seem to have problems with the n-Track, but as the VST versions work just fine, that’s not a real problem for me.

(Actually, it might be some kind of conflict with the EMU 1820 software.)

With my 1.2 GHz/512MB computer, I plugged in six instances of LA-2A, two Pultec EQ’s, two Realverbs and one DM-1 Delay modulator with a little room to spare in UAD’s resources. The song had 6 stereo and 7 mono tracks, three group busses and a couple of other “normal” plugins. The nTS CPU meter hovered around 40 %. Apparently, the LA-2A, Pultec and (of course) Realverb are UAD’s real resource hogs, so could have gotten more instances of the lighter plugins.

Hi Mwah:
I’m so close to getting one of those UAD-1 cards… My “Radar Buddy” over here is a local distributer of that company. He has sold a few of them. I’m just guessing, but the guys who have them are useing something other than n-Track as their editors… It seemes to me that they are pretty “Price’y”… We never did discuss the price… I though they might come down in price, but I don’t think so… They’ve been around now for a few years, now…

The questions I have… and includes… Will any DX and any VST plugs load into that unit? I think the claim is, it can…

By useing that set-up with your Editor, that “Freeze”, is not nessessary… or, that the Freeze is is not as likely to be used?

Bill…

Quote (woxnerw @ May 03 2005,05:45)
The questions I have… and includes… Will any DX and any VST plugs load into that unit? I think the claim is, it can…

Bill, I don’t remember UA claiming that the unit loads any other plugins than their own. Quite the contrary. They have kept the technology to themselves - to the amount that they haven’t even let out the manufacturer or the model of the “superchip” they’re using as the DSP processor.

So what you get with the package - and what you buy from Universal Audio - is what you’ll get.

The Freeze function is not as necessary, as the CPU load is lightened otherwise. It can be used still, though - haven’t tried, but it should work as usual. Using the Freeze should also lighten the load of UAD-1, if you freeze tracks with UAD plugins.

Hi Mwah:
Thanks for your reply on this… I know way back when, Radar Buddy and I talked about this, we were both under the impression that the system would handle DX and VST Plugs… , or mabey, we were somewhat lead to believe that they had some sort of a “Plug-in Wrapper” that it could be made to recognize the standard plugs…

Again, reading between the lines… I guess… I’ll go read up on the Page, some more… ??? It would be nice if some “Code” could be written up, to make it do that… :;):

Except for the audio cards… we must have similar DAWs… ? This rig I have here is an P-111, ASUS cusl2-C 1.2 mhz. intel/intel 815 512 meg. ram…

It’s what I use as an Editor, here…

Bill…

Bill, mine’s ASUS TUSL-2C with Celeron 1.2 GHz. When I last updated the mobo I still had the Isis so I had to keep having Intel chipset to be sure the soundcard worked…

Actually, I’m back having three soundcards in my system: There’s EMU 1820 for recording, there’s the UAD-1 (not exatly a soundcard in the modern sense of the word) and there’s ESI GigaStation for GigaStudio output. So far, everything’s working pretty fine, but the idea of reformatting and reinstalling everything is a bit scary…

Hi Mwah:
<!–QuoteBegin>

Actually, I’m back having three soundcards in my system: There’s EMU 1820 for recording, there’s the UAD-1 (not exatly a soundcard in the modern sense of the word) and there’s ESI GigaStation for GigaStudio output. So far, everything’s working pretty fine, but the idea of reformatting and reinstalling everything is a bit scary…

It’s a frightening concept, for me. The computer hardware is outdated the processor is outdated and I’m outdated… I’d hate to find out what would be lost if I had to rebuild this C Drive… I try my best to not abuse this operating system, but everytime I attempt to raise the Tech Bar, I need to come up with NEW work arounds to to use the ideas I’d like to incorperate in my setup… ???

I’m working on the new audio card setup… There are a few things to mentally work out, yet… We’ll see how I manage to hurttle the obsticles…

Bill…

[EDIT]
Yea… every plug that is listed is at least $150.00 Green ones… ??? Now, if only the Looney was Green… :p

Did you have any issues with IRQ assignments? What other cards are installed on that Mainboard you have?..

Bill,
<!–QuoteBegin>

Did you have any issues with IRQ assignments?

Not as such. When I first installed the ESI GigaStation, trying to enable it resulted in a system crash. I asked about it from the ESI support, and they recommended trying the card in another PCI slot. I was a bit sceptical, but what do I know: it really did work!
<!–QuoteBegin>
What other cards are installed on that Mainboard you have?..

Only an AGP graphics adapter (ATI Radeon 9200) and an D-Link ethernet card. Still, there are connectors aplenty: