UFO Tonight!!

I just wanted to warn you allthat any UFO sighting tonight will be my behringer Vamp2 as it sails throu the night sky as i throwit as hard as i can from our spare room window.
this piece of crap totally sucks as my sons would say, ive given up trying to get a decent overdriven valve sound out of it & even a whole load of vodka couldnt make it work. maybe it will sound better as a ufo!
In desperation ive rung a friend whos offered me his Marshall MG100combo he says i should be able to get a line out from it to record wirth.
micing it up is out of the qusetion as i record late at night & i cant afford 1 of these line6 pod things everyone else uses.
This is not something ive tried befor does anyone else record guitar like this?
I am a deeply troubled woman!

Tina

I’ve got one of these and two sleaping kids.

http://www.wicasta.com/music/?p=724

Have a look on ebay for like.

I sometimes use a tube amp with a power soak lined in. :laugh:

Tone sucks.
It is sooooo hard to get a good tone.
Ask Bubba, he does brilliant things. Also, have you ever visited tapeop.com? There are a LOT of people there who will give you great ideas.

I used to use the Johnson J-Station, but now I use a GNX4.

Line6 pods are not all that expensive, in fact you could get a line6 rack (first generation) for around $60-70 on fleebay.

J-stations go pretty cheap too…sold one of mine for about $80.

Also there are some descent software options out there, not a big fan of software sims but some of them are getting pretty good.
In that scenario you would play it clean and then add and adjust the amp sound with the plug.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Thanks for the tips guys!

Tom i was pleased to hear someone else say they find it hard to get a good tone. I always think its my ignorence that gives me these problems.The tapeop forum looks like i should spend some time there.

Jerm the problem with getting another one of these amp modeller things is i think am i gonna like it any moore than the one ive already got?
And ive got a load of those plugin ones & can never get any of them to give me a half decent sound

Anyway my friends amp was really awful i cant believe its a marshall it even had a line out with a speaker emmulator to give a more realistic sound but it was sooo disapointing, so harsh.
Just so you dont think i’m always moaning about amps, before i had kids i had a Peavey Classic which would give me almost any tone i wanted.

My question to you now is:
I’ve been given a great little amp with really great tones,(men dont give me diamonds they give me amplifiers!) its a Sessionette 75, the master volume pot is somewhat knackered but what do you need to do to take a line out from an amp that hasnt got one? My brother is a capable electrician & I’m sure he could do any mod. for me. Any ideas?
Tony, that cabinettulator thing looks interesting, do you use in the speaker jack or does it need a line out to work.

Tina

There are direct boxes that also have an “amp” input setting, which will work. Remember, the sound of an amp includes in a really big way the speaker and the cabinet. I like those Peavey classics. Good sounding amps, to me. Digital emulations always sound digital to me. I am constantly astonished at how hard it is to get good tone, and how often it is a matter of kismet.

Yup.
The cabinettulator is pretty good, but like many things, as Tom says, not as good as the real thing. But it would be a cheap and easy mod’ for anyone who can wave a soldering iron. It simply goes between the amp and speaker with a line out.

Bill! What d’you reckon? Draw up a board and parts list for a hard wired cabinettulator line out for a combo.

Quote: (TinaM @ Oct. 17 2010, 3:22 PM)

Jerm the problem with getting another one of these amp modeller things is i think am i gonna like it any moore than the one ive already got?

Well...

I have a CD called SuperMOdels by digitech with the GNX4 and I can pretty much dial any popular players tone from the last few decades with it, or create my own variations from their amps, and they are all well organized, Deftones, Skynyrd, Sublime, etc etc.
Plus it allows me to taylor each amp sim to specific guitars without having to reset all the knobs on a physical amp, which is helpful since each guitar, LEs Paul, Strat, Ibanez, will react differently to the same amp.

Amps are great, I love my Mesa's but at 2 in the morning it is not an option (even tho they have line outs built in).

Happiness....well that is never a guarantee, effectiveness is what we are after.

keep shinin

Traynor, in Toronto, make an amp called the “DarkHorse”…
along with a matching cabinet… I think it has a pair of 6V6 tubes in the output stage…The amp sells for 499.00 and the cabinet (I believe has a 12" speaker) goes for 299.00 CND… The amp is rated at some 15 watts…
It appears the amp can drive a line output through a 12AU7 tube, as well…
A setup like that makes the amp a fascinating amp to try… and the amp could very well make a nice studio guitar or bass amp…

Bill…

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Oct. 17 2010, 5:58 PM)

Quote: (TinaM @ Oct. 17 2010, 3:22 PM)

Well...

I have a CD called SuperMOdels by digitech with the GNX4 and I can pretty much dial any popular players tone from the last few decades with it, or create my own variations from their amps, and they are all well organized, Deftones, Skynyrd, Sublime, etc etc.

Plus it allows me to taylor each amp sim to specific guitars without having to reset all the knobs on a physical amp, which is helpful since each guitar, LEs Paul, Strat, Ibanez,
will react differently to the same amp.

Amps are great, I love my Mesa's but at 2 in the morning it is not an option (even tho they have line outs built in).

Happiness....well that is never a guarantee, effectiveness is what we are after.

keep shinin

So you use Digitech stuff? :laugh:
Quote: (Unknown1 @ Oct. 18 2010, 3:08 PM)

So you use Digitech stuff?
:laugh:

How else would you suggest changing all the parameters of 7 devices during a song without having to press foot pedals or buttons on stage while you are playing and singing? (or paying someone else to run sound and light)

ShowPRO DMX light controller
Roland M-BD1 Bass/Drum Module
Roland JV1010 sound Module
S100 voice processor
LA Multigate
Axiom25 controller
Guitar FX.

If you ain't part of the solution your just another problem.

keep shinin

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Oct. 18 2010, 8:35 PM)

Quote: (Unknown1 @ Oct. 18 2010, 3:08 PM)

So you use Digitech stuff?
:laugh:

How else would you suggest changing all the parameters of 7 devices during a song without having to press foot pedals or buttons on stage while you are playing and singing? (or paying someone else to run sound and light)

ShowPRO DMX light controller
Roland M-BD1 Bass/Drum Module
Roland JV1010 sound Module
S100 voice processor
LA Multigate
Axiom25 controller
Guitar FX.

If you ain't part of the solution your just another problem.

keep shinin

Hey jerm - I was jesting you....I own two of those GNX4's and I've gotta say that they're one of the most amazing pieces of gear ever. I picked up a used one of eBay when I found out they discontinued them...which was a dumb move on Digitech's part. With the MFC Supermodels, this thing destroys. Blows the BOSS GT-10 away. I've gig'd live with one straight into a PA on more than one occasion.

Sorry.

I took you for one of those gear snobs. :p

THere are much better AMp sims/Fx racks out there IMHO, but none that do all the things the GNX4 does.
I have two as well, one as a back up.
If I where to have to replace this device I would need a heck of a midi sequencer, like a (Akai MPC500 with footpedal $650) and a (Line 6 Pod XT Pro rack $500) or a vintage (ADA MP-1) anyone remember those? they haven’t made them since the 80’s, used they are still in the $250 range.

ANd here they discontinued the GNX4… :disagree:

keep shinin

you guys have got so much gear! i couldnt afford one of thes GNX4 things.

I’ve worked out why i cant understand your forum tech talk, its cos your all rich, & with money comes gear & with gear comes knowlege. if you dont own it your not going to know about it are you?
So basically cos i’m poor i’m stupid!

Tina

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Oct. 19 2010, 10:38 AM)

Sorry.

I took you for one of those gear snobs. :p

THere are much better AMp sims/Fx racks out there IMHO, but none that do all the things the GNX4 does.
I have two as well, one as a back up.
If I where to have to replace this device I would need a heck of a midi sequencer, like a (Akai MPC500 with footpedal $650) and a (Line 6 Pod XT Pro rack $500) or a vintage (ADA MP-1) anyone remember those? they haven't made them since the 80's, used they are still in the $250 range.

ANd here they discontinued the GNX4... :disagree:

keep shinin

I have two MP-1's....a "Classic" edition and the standard. Another great piece of gear, and now all of the sudden...highly sought after. That preamp with a Peavey Classic 50 power amp is the bomb for 80's metal.
Quote: (TinaM @ Oct. 19 2010, 11:32 AM)

& with gear comes knowlege.

Hardly. If that were the case then half the music I hear on the interwebs would not sound like it was all shot through an out of phase pop can.
Quote: (TinaM @ Oct. 19 2010, 11:32 AM)

you guys have got so much gear! i couldnt afford one of thes GNX4 things.

I've worked out why i cant understand your forum tech talk, its cos your all rich, & with money comes gear & with gear comes knowlege. if you dont own it your not going to know about it are you?
So basically cos i'm poor i'm stupid!

Tina

IT's not just having money, in fact you can do much for very little.

The key is research,

Let's say you want to get a new amp in the $500 range, you have the choice of retail brand new, which you may be able to get a small entry level Peavey or something, then there is the used market, where you could get a Tube amp that retailed for over $1500, for under $400, replace a tube or two if need be, but that takes research, combing forums, looking at reviews, so you know not only will your investment one day be returned (because you didn't pay retail for new low end) but you will have an amp that will give you the desired sound and hold it's value.

I never pay more than half the retail price for anything and everything (with the exception of chords and such) I own is used but in nearly new condition (I take care of my stuff) so at any time if I fancy something else or see a good deal on something, I can sell what I have and get my money back (sometime more!) put it toward the new item.

It's not an easy thing, almost like a partime job, researching and acquiring the best possible gear on your budget.
IT took me 7 month to get my Trident 4t preamp (they retailed for $1200) I watched adds on Ebay and Graigsist all that time, got outbid numerous times (I had a $350 budget) waited and waited, then one fine day someone who really needed money bad put one on there for $400 OBO, I made the offer of $350 and he accepted.
I have had it for 2 years now, and can easily sell it for $400 any day of the week, and if I come across something else that is better for less I will and put it towards that.
Sure I could have went out and bought some cheezy ART preamp retail for around $300 and saved a Cnote, but that would have only been worth $100 after two years...so loosing money like that is not an option for something that is not in the same studio quality so the whole time you own it your just thinking about when are you going to be able to afford the GOOD one!!!

PS, I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination.
2 years ago I was working in a factory driving a forklift for $18 an hour, often 60 hours a week, in that time I had NO time for music, NO time for my Family, and No life basically, but it was a choice I made to build up the capital needed to fund my dream of being a full time musician.
In a years time of busting my hump in a pic line building pallets I invested over $7000 in my musical equipment,(but it is all insured for over $15,000 the retail cost to replace my gear).
Since i took the time to research what gear is best and will hold it's value the investment is as sound as putting it in the bank (with interest).

Also, I know the GNX4 retailed for $500, but I didn't pay over $125 for either of mine...I've even watched ones go for less than that (but don't need a third unit! lol)

again, researching... watching....waiting....once you know what device you needed to preform the task at hand it's a matter of how are you going to go about acquiring it, that answer to that for a person with passion is, BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.
Arm yourself with knowledge, I am sure had you known your behringer Vamp2 was going to be crap you could have taken that money and saved it to buy something better, one trip to any audio review site would have told you that.
PSS, three years ago I was in the same boat, no money but didn't know anything about what is good gear even if I did have the money to buy it I would have made bad choices.

keep shinin

I was being a bit tongue in cheek Bubba, but i still say (even if having the gear doesnt always mean you know how to use it,) not having it means your totally excluded from knowing how to use it, so you never learn.
At least if youve got it you have the oportunity to learn.

I have 2 gutiars, a broken old amp, a tiny mixer & a cheap amp modeller thing that never does anything well. That’s all

Tina