Undoing Reverse Playback

Reverse Playback

I was assisted in finding out to do a reverse playback on a track. Now…Is it possible to undo a reverse playback? I see no function to undo it. I tried to reverse it again, thinking it might flip it right back, but no dice.

How about the undo button?

When doing destrutive edits of files, it’s always a good idea to make a copy of it first, in case you run into an irreversable problem.

Quote (TomS @ June 14 2006,21:50)
How about the undo button?

When doing destrutive edits of files, it's always a good idea to make a copy of it first, in case you run into an irreversable problem.

Nice pun!

Reversing it again should work, but you’d have to select the EXACT same selection (to the sample) as before or there will be glitches. That’s darn near impossible unless you reversed the whole file. What’s it doing when reverse fails the second time around? If the underlying wave file has become write protected it might not work. It wouldn’t work the first time if it was write protected then…or at least it wouldn’t save that way. (I haven’t used reverse in n-Tracks in a really long time. I always do it in a wave editor so I can better select the end points.)

Reversing is a destructive edit that actually reverse orders the samples in the wave file, so Undo will not work once the song is saved, n-Tracks opened and the song reloaded. TomS suggestion is manditory…and I too love his quip! :)

You might try importing the track to a new song and trying to reverse it there. Once the file has been changed destructively in one place it should be changed everywhere that file is used. This will also identify that the file has indeed been modified. If the file plays forward in the new song then you may just be able to re-import it to the original .sng file. It sounds a bit like a bug to me.

I only do destructive editing on copies to avoid affecting other songs which might reference the same track. In this case it might be a good thing.

Jim