Update on my studio

The contractor insulated the addition yesterday (the addition contains my studio). They’re putting up sheetrock today (I’ll probably put egg cartons on the wall). I didn’t get the sound proofing insulation but the walls are extra-insulted because we built the structure 2x6". I’ll try to put up some pics when I can.

I also need to get a workstation. I’ve been looking at the Studio RTA units in Musician’s Friend. I like the Producer’s or Project Station models. Anyone have one of these?

I just got a new MIDI controller - a Studiologic SL-161 PRO. It’s pretty nice but I still haven’t used it.

The studio is big enough so my band will probably be able to rehearse in it. I can’t wait!

Hey
Sounds cool!!! Hope everything works out great for you. I bought some of that egg carton matress covers from walmart and it worked pretty well. Good luck!

That’s funny… I was just wondering the other day about that… You were supposed to post some pictures so we could all argue about the sonic advantages and disadvantages of the different types of drywall screws.

:D

<!–QuoteBegin>

The contractor insulted the addition yesterday…

i would have fired him immediately… i love typos… :)

isaac

I saw that typo. I would think that was a Freudian slip had it not occurred more than once.

Mr. Soul,
I’m sure that the walls will listen a lot of good sound ! !
<!–QuoteBegin>

we could all argue about the sonic advantages and disadvantages of the different types of drywall screws.

I’m sure about that too :laugh:
Quote (ksdb @ June 10 2005,12:31)
I saw that typo. I would think that was a Freudian slip had it not occurred more than once.

...the walls are extra-insulted...

oh, i get it now!... :D...

we're just joshin' ya mike!... you should post before, during, and after photos sometime...

isaac

<!–QuoteBegin>

That’s funny… I was just wondering the other day about that…

And I actually thought about it when you posted here recently :D

I hate typo’s.

I could put up some pics but they would just show framing, windows and some wiring.

The contractor finished the ceiling yesterday and is working on the walls. The room was dead quiet with just the insulation but now with some sheet rock up, it’s reverby as h*ll.

The Studio RTA desks are a bit overpriced. You’d be suprised at the audio friendly desk you can find at Staples and such. Mine is very similar to the Producer’s (minus the rack ears, which you could install yourself for cheap if you wanted) for about $100.

Thanks. I like Anthro Carts too but they are way over-priced.

Actually I checked on OfficeDepot.com and Studio RTA sells regular computer furniture for much less than it does it’s “music” workstations.

mike, what type of floor do you have in the studio?.. i’ve been reading a new book that discusses construction, and am curious about the cost of these things…

isaac

I’m planning on putting down carpet on a concrete slab. I’m thinking of an indoor/outdoor carpet for durability.

Carpet’s supposed to be a bit of a no-no in the studio. Go the wooden floated/sprung floors with few big rugs to drag around to put under drumkits/feet/amps/corners.

Willy.

Mike, listen to Willy; carpet is a pain in the arse in a studio.

Even if you go for treated pure wool to eliminate static, it’s still a pain in the arse.

Moving things around is a pain (just think about trying to slide your mike stand back and forth a few inches at a time to find the sweet spot on carpet), fluff is a pain, beer stains, vomit stains, cigarette burns, are a pain; just don’t go there!

A studio is a working environment, and it’s a stage.

How many carpets do you see in factories or on stage?

Save the deep pile Axminster shag for the green room. :D

Ali

Your points about the carpet are well taken, however this “studio” will be serving double-duty, i.e., it’s a spare bedroom. If I were making it a full-time studio, I agree carpet would be a no go but it serves more than one purpose. Also, I’m hoping the carpet will absorb some of the reflections in the room (although I’m sure I will have to put something on the walls).

Hmm, so it’s not really a studio at all then.

I was going to ask about your power supply wiring plans, and discuss how to get it electrically clean, but it seems as if it’s more important where the en suite bathroom is gonna be. :(

Ali

<!–QuoteBegin>

Hmm, so it’s not really a studio at all then.

Depends on your definition of a studio. It’s not a “professional” studio in the sense that I’m building it to hire out my services as a recording engineer. However, it’s going to be a dedicated room for recording/rehearsing music, so it’s the closest thing that I’ve ever had to a studio.

Having said that, I do understand that power supply to a “real” studio is an important issue.

<!–QuoteBegin>

mike, what type of floor do you have in the studio?.. i’ve been reading a new book that discusses construction, and am curious about the cost of these things…

Costly and lotsa work to do it the way we did, Isaac. Our floor is a grid of 2x4’s on edge, sitting on Auralex isolation pucks. The grid is level within about 1/8" over the 42 ft length of the live room. Then there’s a layer of 3/4" MDF, a layer of 1/2" sheetrock, and layer of 1/2" MDF. Joints are criss-crossed from layer to layer, and each layer is screwed and glued to the one below. We opted for 2 heavy coats of alkyd primer, and 3 coats of latex porch paint for a finish so you can scrub it clean (nobody wants to look at beer and pizza stains on the floor…) Throw rugs in various areas finish the look. Also, none of the rooms touch…the live room has it’s own floor (and walls and ceiling), as do the big and small iso’s and the control room.
You need a massive floor to help control transmission loss and to hold up the rest of the structure. We built a building inside of building. It was a ton of work and cost about $40K, but it’s been totally worth it. We get many positive comments about how good our rooms sound. You can see a floor plan at our totally crappy and much in need of update website here:

4 deuces recording

thanks for the info about the floor!.. my reading has revealed almost the same information (modern recording techniques)…

i’m curious about the shape of your sound room… is this common that the walls not be square?.. my first experience in a professional studio was last year… the room was fairly square, except for the isolation booth in the corner…

also, i’m wondering if it would make any sense to build a portable type of floor?.. i don’t see myself leaving the apartment life anytime soon… and i was considering building a modular and portable version of the studio floor… of course, i’m wondering if a sheet of plywood would do the same thing?.. my idea was simply to build 4’ x 4’ squares using similar/same techniques that would be used for a much larger area…

thanks,
isaac