Update on my studio

Walls that line up cause freq bumps and dips in different parts of the room. No parallel walls is better. Think Stax and their floor, or Sun and its ceiling, or the walls at Motown. That said, asymmetry is also not the answer by itself. diffusion and an even response is the goal. Goodness knows neither Soul nor I will ever get anything like good in our home “studios” but it’s fun to pretend.

Sort of like playing in an over 40 league and dreaming that league trophy is Stanley. :)

Mike, don’t do egg cartons - they don’t disperse a very wide range of freqs, and they are ugly. You might try cedar shingles instead.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Mike, don’t do egg cartons - they don’t disperse a very wide range of freqs, and they are ugly. You might try cedar shingles instead.

You know - I’ve recorded everyone of my songs in rooms with terrible acoustics - square walls, sheet rock, etc., etc. and I’m not sure if anyone could have told the difference if I’d recorded them in a “good” room.
Quote (Mr Soul @ June 14 2005,12:31)
Mike, don't do egg cartons - they don't disperse a very wide range of freqs, and they are ugly. You might try cedar shingles instead.

You know - I've recorded everyone of my songs in rooms with terrible acoustics - square walls, sheet rock, etc., etc. and I'm not sure if anyone could have told the difference if I'd recorded them in a "good" room.
try recording in a laundry room!... about 25 square feet of pure acoustic love!... i think i get okay sounds from that... the average listener seems to think so, anyway...

i'm sure your room will sound great, mike... i'm jealous, damnit... :)

isaac
Quote (Mr Soul @ June 09 2005,16:41)
The contractor insulted the addition yesterday

When he was insulting the addition, I hope he didn't offend it! :D
I've noticed you get strange sounds in your recordings when a house is upset! :p

Well, everyones always makin' fun of my spellin' I figured this was my chance to give a little back to the community! :cool:

keep shinin'

jerm