US 'backed illegal Iraqi oil deals'

Report claims blind eye was turned to sanctions busting by American firms.

Here’s the actual report - Illegal Surcharges.

Big business influencing policy enforcement? Nah. Never happen… not in the good ol’ US of A!

TG

Did you ever hear about the “Iraqi Supergun Affair” back in the 80’s?

Possibly not, as it involved the CIA and the Israeli intelligence service assassinating an American citizen, (or he may have been Canadian. ???)

Anyway, it’s a fascinating story about corruption in government.

It rocked the British government, and resulted in the resignation of several junior ministers.

The senior ones of course, all got off scot-free, as usual.

Ali

Right - I remember that. They got him “good”. I think he was Canadian wasn’t he?

How was it related to corruption in Britain (or was it somewhere’s else)?

<!–QuoteBegin>

Right - I remember that. They got him “good”. I think he was Canadian wasn’t he?

How was it related to corruption in Britain (or was it somewhere’s else)?

Oh, because we were building it Mike, in fact, a lot of the components had already been shipped off to Iraq.

(We may no longer be a major world power, but we still make a lot of the world’s weapons. The anti-personel mines that blow the legs off many children in the third world are our speciality. Sort of makes ya proud to be British).

Anyway, then the press got hold of the story, and the people who owned and ran the company building it, were arrested and were going to be put on trial.

The thing is though, when it came to their defence, they were prepared to show that they had authorisation from the Foreign Office and the Department of Trade to make and ship the Supergun.

Not only that, but senior British ministers were the ones who contacted them in the first place asking for it to be built!

So, all went quiet. Charges were dropped, and Maggie Thatcher’s unbelievably corrupt Tory government carried on as usual.

Ali

Ah but Ali, people’s memories are shorter than their johnson’s. Look at the Bush cabinet, then view the Nixon cabinet, see any familiar faces? Most Americans forget that we put Saddam in power to be the thorn in the Ayatolla’s(SP) side. Funding to start Osama in terrorist acts came from US to help Afganstan against the Soviet Union. Do most Americans remember this? NAH.

Quote (YazMiester @ May 25 2005,06:43)
Ah but Ali, people's memories are shorter than their johnson's. Look at the Bush cabinet, then view the Nixon cabinet, see any familiar faces? Most Americans forget that we put Saddam in power to be the thorn in the Ayatolla's(SP) side. Funding to start Osama in terrorist acts came from US to help Afganstan against the Soviet Union. Do most Americans remember this? NAH.

Perhaps just as importantly, did Saddam remember this? Or the Afghanis? Nope.

TG