US will bomb Iran with nukes

See this article

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060417fa_fact

Here’s the first paragraph - Hersh is an excellent reporter, by the way - read the whole article:

<!–QuoteBegin>

THE IRAN PLANS
Would President Bush go to war to stop Tehran from getting the bomb?
by SEYMOUR M. HERSH
Issue of 2006-04-17
Posted 2006-04-10

The Bush Administration, while publicly advocating diplomacy in order to stop Iran from pursuing a nuclear weapon, has increased clandestine activities inside Iran and intensified planning for a possible major air attack. Current and former American military and intelligence officials said that Air Force planning groups are drawing up lists of targets, and teams of American combat troops have been ordered into Iran, under cover, to collect targeting data and to establish contact with anti-government ethnic-minority groups. The officials say that President Bush is determined to deny the Iranian regime the opportunity to begin a pilot program, planned for this spring, to enrich uranium.

IMPEACH BUSH BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE.

:)

Crazy dispensationalist oil people.

Hopefully they can’t be this stupid…hmmm…sagging poll numbers…maybe…!!!

I read that several high ranking military officers will quit if it’s not taken off the table. We’ll see.

Meanwhile have you heard this song by Pink and the Indigo Girls? I love it.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss…x839364

It’s also posted on Atrios.

KingFish

Wag the Dog
Wag the Dog
Wag the Dog
Wag the Dog
Wag the Dog
Wag the Dog
Wag the Dog
Wag the Dog
Wag the Dog

Better us nuking them, than them nuking us.

Not that I think we’re better people than them or that we have more a right to live than them, we’re all God’s children.

But if the choice is a haul of strangers being wiped out or my family and neighbors being wiped out, then there’s no choice.

Quote (Guest @ April 10 2006,05:37)

Not that I think we’re better people than them or that we have more a right to live than them, we’re all God’s children.

But if the choice is a haul of strangers being wiped out or my family and neighbors being wiped out, then there’s no choice.

Informed estimates are that Iran is 5-7 years away from having the ability to make one. Plenty of time for diplomacy.

Secondly, if they had a bomb now, how would they deliver it to where you live?

The fact is, that Iran was moving in a progressivly western direction prior to GWB & Company opening their mouths. After being targeted as an axis of evil and an enemy of the US, what did you expect.

They have good reason to fear us. We’re the only country that has used the bomb and the only one that would think of using it again.

KingFish

<!–QuoteBegin>

US will bomb Iran with nukes

Ya, and?.. :D
Quote (Guest @ April 10 2006,18:37)

...we're all God's children.

I'm not sure you actually believe what you are saying. If you really believed that "we are all God's children" then you would not consider using a nuclear weapon on "them" as an option. Unless you believe that killing "God's children" is ok... :angry:

Hey Mike, are you gonna let these guys pull your leg ? Nah, thought not…

<!–QuoteBegin>

Secondly, if they had a bomb now, how would they deliver it to where you live?

I don’t rightly know King; how did they deliver so much death on 9/11? Texas has a big border with the rest of the world and I’m not stupid enough to think that no-one crosses that line without official permission.

<!–QuoteBegin>
Unless you believe that killing “God’s children” is ok…

No, I don’t believe that DrGuitar. But tell me, if someone is pointing a pistol at your daughter’s head, and the only way to stop him is to kill him…what would you do?

Killing in self defense is never OK, but I’d do that rather than allow the alternative to happen.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Replying to US will bomb Iran with nukes

Why do bad things always happen to good people? :laugh:
Quote (Guest @ April 10 2006,19:51)
No, I don't believe that DrGuitar. But tell me, if someone is pointing a pistol at your daughter's head, and the only way to stop him is to kill him.....................what would you do?

Killing in self defense is never OK, but I'd do that rather than allow the alternative to happen.

Iran does not have "nukes". And even if they did, they have no way to deliver it. Conversely, the US has lots of "nukes" and many different ways to deliver them to Iran. You could say that we have a many guns pointed at their head.

So, by your logic, you are saying that they (Iran) should build a nuke and deliver it to US soil and kill us in "self-defense". I guess it is easy to blame others for the things we think might happen. After all, we are at war because we thought Iraq might have had WMD.

Maybe it would be a good idea to kill everyone in the world except those within our borders. That is the only way we can really be sure to be safe against any and all attacks. Those French have been buggin' us lately....

At the end of the day, the “Kill or Be Killed” rationale does sometimes legitimately come into play. We are humans, and sometimes it does actually come to that. I’m sure it will again. Churchill and Roosevelt were right to make sure that Germany and Japan were totally defeated - not just contained, but unconditionally subjugated. People like Hitler do happen every now and again, and diplomacy is a game that those people just use to play for time.

I’m all in support of pursuing diplomatic means when it seems viable. It would have been a better path in Iraq this time, that’s for sure. But if you look at the history, you can see that WWII in particular might not have been so massive if England and France had taken a more aggressive approach with Hitler when he started invading other countries. He had already done it to Czech and Austria, and only when he invaded Poland did other nations actually declare war. By that stage, his military machine was fully developed.

Benefit of hindsight and all that. It goes both ways. History tells us that most of the neocon ideology is just destined for disastrous failure. But it also tells us that sometimes you have to abandon the diplomacy. It’s a matter of judgement. Neville Chamberlains’ judgement was bad, as is George Bush’s, but for different reasons.

I agree with DrG that the country doing most of the threatening right now is actually the USA. However, despite all that, it may turn out that Ahmadinejad and his Mullah masters are actually planning something awful. We may look back 20 years from now and think:

“y’know, we were so hung up about George Bush’s whole Empire thing, that we didn’t strike Iran when we probably should have”.

At this stage I just don’t know. You can’t trust what you read about Iran’s intentions right now: years of misinformation about Iraq have taught us that. I just don’t think you can dismiss any particular response path right now.

Eyup!

<!–QuoteBegin>

you can see that WWII in particular might not have been so massive if England and France had taken a more aggressive approach with Hitler when he started invading other countries.

I agree, but we have the benefit of hindsight to enable us to make a perfect judgement.

However, taking that statement, Britain should have declared war against the US when she invaded Grenada, a British Protectorate :D

Diplomacy is h.e.l.l.

Steve

Dr Guitar - I’ve got news for you Iran: Stealth Missile Successfully Test-Fired

Well, look who’s suddenly trusting Fox…

Stop being so logical, Terje. :)

Can’t help it :)

I think we need to keep in mind that the plan has been: Iraq, then Iran, then Syria - since about 1995. Don’t forget PNAC. This has nothing to do with defense against Iran - everything we are doing and have been doing has made that situation worse, not better, and intentionally so - it’s called “crisis management” - provoke a crisis and then we have to go clean it up. the real issue here is control of oil, always has been. Just think what would happen if OPEC decided to price in euros.

Oh, and just think what will happen when we attack Iran. 1.2 billion new muslim friends who will be convinced that a dispensationalist president driven by oil money and fundamentalism is out to fulfill the storyline in the left behind books.

You guys don’t seriously think Iran is or ever will be a threat, do you? ???

Quote (Mr Soul @ April 13 2006,15:25)
Dr Guitar - I’ve got news for you Iran: Stealth Missile Successfully Test-Fired

yep,

Iran has developed a missile that can avoid US anti-missiles and US detection. Their technology is much more advanced than the US technology…Ha ha ha ha haaaaa

It’s time to clean the bong Toker… :p