USB Toggle Switch

Anyone ever cut a USB cord? I’m wanting to make a simple on/off toggle switch and thought I’d ask before I cut one.

never mind

So which wire do you put the toggle on? And what use would the toggle be?

My line 6 KB37 has no on/off switch and it’s getting awkwarder and awkwarder to plug it in the way I have it situated on my work station. A simple on/off toggle should work on the red power lead I suppose? I just found another usb cord, think I’ll try it.

Thats a good image pop’s! I’ve always wanted a usb cable with two female ends. Seems only natural to hook two computers that way. To have access to files and not worry about creating a network. Wonder if it’s possible?

Gotta be VERY carful when hooking USB to USB because USB has power. It can short circuit and make things not do stuff anymore.

Quote: (phoo @ May 23 2009, 4:55 PM)

Gotta be VERY carful when hooking USB to USB because USB has power. It can short circuit and make things not do stuff anymore.

Yea I'm not going to try that.
Quote:

I've always wanted a usb cable with two female ends. Seems only natural to hook two computers that way. To have access to files and not worry about creating a network. Wonder if it's possible?

Don't think you can use USB to USB to connect computers ala network.

Cut away PW - heck put four switches in there. Or a four-way toggle just to CYA.

"Give me a switch with enough toggles and I can control the world"
anonymous

Is it that you don’t have easy access to both ends of the USB cable or just one?
If just one, you could put in a USB extension cable that would provide you with an end that matches what you normally plug into.
And then you could put it in a place easily accessible and plug other normal USB between it and unaccessible USB.
I have one of these cables and run it up to next to my keyboard where I can plug my camera and/or memory sticks in easily (my computer mainframe is buried behind furniture at the wife’s request).

Quote: (pingcat @ May 23 2009, 9:35 PM)

"Give me a switch with enough toggles and I can control the world"
anonymous

(my computer mainframe is buried behind furniture at the wife's request).

:laugh:
Quote:

Is it that you don't have easy access to both ends of the USB cable or just one?
If just one, you could put in a USB extension cable that would provide you with an end that matches what you normally plug into.
And then you could put it in a place easily accessible and plug other normal USB between it and unaccessible USB.

I thought about doing that pingcat but then I wouldn't get to take a knife to a chord and solder leads - what fun is that? I'm actually surprised there's not a commercial usb switch to be found - at least I didn't.

I agree, nothing like opening something up and seeing whats inside. Can’t wait to hear if simply switching in or out the 5 volts does the trick.

Don’t forget drilling a hole in my computer desk and mounting… Which kid has my Makita?

i think you should try a 3-way guitar pickup selector switch as your toggle. maybe you could get some cool sounds before you make stuff not do stuff anymore.

Could end up with USB0

Isn’t this how “circuit bending” came about?

http://circuit-bent.net/

:laugh: Don't forget to have your comps voice activated when you first throw the switch!