Using differnet version of N

Safe to load ver 3.3 sng to ver 5?

I read that using ver 5 we can load sng files made with earlier versions. If you load the file, can you just save it with a different name so that both sng files will work wioth their respective versions? In other words, does just loading a version 3.3 sng into version 5 make it imposible to use the sng file with ver 3.3 even if you didn’t change it?
Thanks,
Bax

As long as you don’t save the file in V5 you should be fine. However I strongly suggest making a copy of the file (in Explorer) and give it a suitable name (eg “my song for V3.sng”) before you load it into V5.

Note that V5 seems to use a different format of *.npk files to V3&4 so if you load a song in V5, even if you don’t save it, the waveforms will look rather strange when you go back to V3. Easy fix though - just delete the *.npk files and n-track will re-create them when you go back into V3.

X

Bax

I think that the question you should be concerned with is whether you want to put V5 on the same machine where V3 resides if you intend to stay with V3 for some time.
Several postings on this forum have described problems with getting the older versions of Ntrack to honor registration codes after a newer version has been installed on the same machine - even after V5 has been removed.

T

Eyup!

I have 3.3 and V5 installed on the same machine and they seem to co-exist quite happily.
Yes, there is the .npk file “problem” which seems just a cosmetic thing. When I open the 3.3 version of the song, I just do a “rebuild” and everything is fine.

However, there does seem to be a distinct difference in sound between the same song opened in different versions of N (3.3 and 5)
Previously, this has been due to the AUX send option being ignored when opening files in a different version.
This does not seem to be the case in V5, so I am at a loss to explain why an apparently identical mix sounds different.
I have ensured that the same effects etc are applied the same in each version and removed the “Always On” effects, but still it remains.

I would be interested if anyone else has observed this, or if I may be concocting something that doesn’t actually exist.
I can’t do a blind trial with mixdown files, as V5 is not registered.

Steve

Yep, both working here too. No problems.

Steve, yes you are right. I haven’t tracked it down yet but I’m pretty sure it’s an Aux setting. I seem to be getting “more” Aux in V5 than in V4. Maybe the default pre/post/etc setting is different or perhaps something else. Not sure.

X

Some volume and send levels may be different for sure. That was an issue going from V3 to V4.

There was another widespread issue where some plug-in settings were not being picked up. The “fix” was to open every plug-in and manually reset the values, no matter what they were. The displayed value or slider position may look right but the under the hood value might be different until the slider was moved slightly, and put back where it was. That was probably specific to some plug-ins but there was no way to look at them an tell.

And manually reselect the output for each track. That could be related to the old plug-in settings thing.

More than likely it’s just small level differences here and there.

Steve,
Like Phoo, I’ve seen a few songs where the output was no longer directed to the appropriate group and had to be reset manually. As i recall, this happened on v4 songs opened in v5.

I’ve also seen a few situations where AUX sends set at infinity (off) in one version ended up at -25 (or somewhere around there) and not infinity. There was bleed thru on those channels, and i had to slide them down to infinity manually. I know this happend on v3 songs opened in v4, but i think there were some v4 songs that did the same thing when opened in v5. Don’t recall for sure, tho’.

tj

Quote (teej813 @ Oct. 07 2006,17:42)
I've also seen a few situations where AUX sends set at infinity (off) in one version ended up at -25 (or somewhere around there) and not infinity. There was bleed thru on those channels, and i had to slide them down to infinity manually. I know this happend on v3 songs opened in v4, but i think there were some v4 songs that did the same thing when opened in v5. Don't recall for sure, tho'.

I've not seen that going from V4 to V5 but it certainly was a problen on earlier versions.

Eyup!

More on the sound difference between V3.3 and V5

I have found some plugins have become corrupt and not actually registered, although there were no error messages.
The test song I am using uses the Classic Compressor and for some reason works with 3.3 but would not work with V5 until I deleted it and re-installed, that is, deleted from the song, not the pc.

Still not the whole story though, I am going to have to go through methodically until I find it.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve.

If you can publish your findings then either Flavio can look at fixes or at very least we have a checklist of things to do when upgrding a project.

X

i have experienced problems with the volume/pan automation tracking differently on different versions of the software. i guess the timeline has different max and min values for the automations on different versions… or else it is possible that my configuration is not as it had been on the previous versions…

any ideas on how to make an older file sound right again?

thanks!

- r scott
[ femme consul ]

Eyup!

I think I have found the major problem relating to old 3.3 .sng files sounding different when opened in V5.

On my setup, when I open an old 3.3 .sng file, V5 does not always route the tracks to groups correctly.

For example, I usually double guitar parts and pan them left/right and then assign them to a group so that I can control both parts with a single fader.
V5 does not usually route tracks to groups, but sends them directly to the main.

Steve