using external sound card with n-track

hey all, i av a laptop but currently only have a mono mic port, this is annoying when it comes to recording my guitar through an effects pedal as i miss out on the stereo effects it produces. question is, if i was to get an external sound card for my laptop, would i be able to use it in n-track, have read reviews that you can only use a usb sound card with the software that comes with it, is this right? the card ive been looking at is this one:

Creative 24bit USB

thanks a lot!

IIRC, this was one of those Creative cards that played back at 24 bits, but only recorded at 16. Are you certain your laptop has only mono in? That would be very unusual, wouldn’t it, since it can play back in stereo?

How about the Echo Indigo? the price on thise is now down to about 170 US - dunno what it would be for you. But it’s 24/96 stereo.

I use the Creative Sound Blaster MP3+ external sound card for my laptop. It works great; no problems. It seems to interact with the preloaded software as well as the packaged software. I don’t know how whether it does 24 bits, but otherwise it looks similar to what are you wanting to buy; it looks like a good choice.

Quote (TomS @ May 15 2005,09:21)
IIRC, this was one of those Creative cards that played back at 24 bits, but only recorded at 16. Are you certain your laptop has only mono in? That would be very unusual, wouldn't it, since it can play back in stereo?

How about the Echo Indigo? the price on thise is now down to about 170 US - dunno what it would be for you. But it's 24/96 stereo.

my laptop has a headfone port(stereo) and just a plain microphone port that im sure is only mono, unless its not configured correctly. my laptop is a dell inspiron 5160 if that helps. i didnt realize the creative card only records in 16bit, cos i am quite interested in a 24bit one. the problem with the echo indigo u speak of is a little pricey for how much im planning to use the soundcard for, but i will look into it.

KSDB, if ypur mp3 creative works with n-track then i cant see why they all dont, did look into the same one u av but didnt see a mention of 24bit so i looked away.

thanks for your replies.

The Soundblaster claims for 24 bits caused a bit of a ruckus a while back, b/c it turned out they could play 24 bits but nto record, as I said. I think this hurt Creative in the market, since the soundblasters were a good choice when 16 bits ruled the earth. AFAIK, the Echo is the lowest cost 24 bit thingie for laptops. I haven’t considered any of the USB things, like the Tascam ones. Anyone?

The Dell specs say it’s just a mic in. Oh well. :(

Hi Guys:
I’ve recently installed a S/B Live 24-bit card as a second audio card in my setup… I’ve recorded and repro’d from both cards and they seem to reside on my ASUS Intel P-111 quite fine. I haven’t played with this setup long enough to discover all the issues that might develop yet… But so-far-so-good… The S/B 24-bit card cost me about 35.00CDN at a Zellers Department Store… aka Wal-Mart or the like… The box that it came in has the logos 24-bit EAX and 7.1 6.1 and 5.1on the front… My device Manager “SEES” both cards… n-Track SEES both cards… All with no issues, so far… It took me a while to install both Drivers but after all that , there are no IRQ conflicts, or anything like that… In order to install both drivers, I removed the 16-bit card to get Plug-and-play to recognize the card and install the drivers… Then re-plug the 16-bit card… and all is fine… The only thing I see now is… I need to modify one of the cards to get one Clock to work on both cards… I’m not quite sure which card I’ll remove the clock from, yet… I still thinking about that… I’ll report on that project, when I have the deed, done…

Anyway, S/B 16 and 24 Bit Cards reside on my DAW… together…

Bill…