Using  CM VSTi's

Hi All on list.
I am a newbie greenhorn so please bear with my dumb questions.
I just got n-track and installed SR-202 from computer music.
I have some MIDI backing tracks that I want to use for practicing with my guitar. The problem is this: when I send the track to the default general MIDI device that came with windows the tracks sound right but I don’t particularly like the sound of the samples it plays. Fine I think I’ll send it to the SR-202 for output which has a kit loaded that has drum sounds more to my liking. Two things happen. One is a latency problem that I believe is due to my sound card drivers and I assume a better sound card and or driver will fix this. The other problem is that the drum voices the track was composed for do not correspond to the same drum voices played by SR-202. I mean the ride cymbal which plays fine in general MIDI maps to say a tom on SR-202. I looked into the dialog box for defining instruments etc (which I find quite confusing) but the SR-202 does not show up on the list. I know there must be a way to assign the right pads on SR-202 to the channel numbers that the MIDI track was composed with but I can’t seem to be able to do it. What am I missing? Do I have to copy an instrument definition file somewhere for n-track to be able to add it to the list of instruments?

Confused.

I’m in a cafe so please forgive this ‘top of head’ answer…

There should be a PDF or equiv manual on the CD. As I recall, the pads are fixed MIDI notes - but this may not be the case.

If all else fails, you could try altering the samples in each pad to match what you want to hear…

not much of an answer, but it might help!

btw, the instruments definition list doesn’t include VST - it’s for hardware, so plugs don’t appear there…

HTH
DSP