Using  external  Reverbprocessors  like  Lexicon

HI !!!

Are there any possibilities to use an external Lexicon/TC Electronic Processor
to use with n-Track Studio and NOT the internal effects?

I like to record 2 or 3 Tracks (Vocal and Guitar) dry, and like to use my outboard
TC Electronic Reverbprocessor to bring in Effects for Mixing/Mastering.

Is that possible with n-Track Studio?

Thanks for your help

andy

Sure. IF you have enough I/O on your soundcard to send the signal out to your processor and back into n-Track. You’ll need a stereo pair of outputs and stereo pair of inputs (for stereo effects) to dedicate to your effects box. If you only need 'em at mixdown, you can just patch in your effects box then remove it to record.

Make sense?

TG

Or you could get the SIR (freeware) reverb modeler plug-in and use one of the Lexicon reference files (also freeware).

Er…yeah what John said. You’ll find the quality is just as good and WAY more flexible than a hardware unit. PLUS you don’t have to patch and re-patch the box in/out of your rig. The TC processes the audio in the same manner, it’s just done “inside the box” when you use a software plug-in.

TG

Hey, John and All:
That’s the answer… Go to this site http://www.noisevault.com/ and look under, Impluses… You’ll find both Lexicon and TC Electronics units, Sampled there… and lots more…

Go here and get the SIR VST Host…

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

It works just great in n-Track…

Bill…

[EDIT]
Go to my page and then, to Impluse Samples… They say that they work great for Pianos and Keys…

His name, analogjunkie, and the fact that he has a lexicon, I suggest that he might not be interested in Sir and impulses, but in the physical routing TG was suggestion. There’s nothing like the real thing. :D

Hi phoo:
You’re absolutly right… There’s no mistaking the real thing.

The Lexicon Core 32 DAW Hardware that I have in the studio has a “Daughter Card” that is connected to the IDE Plug-in Card offers the Lexicon PC-90 Engine to the LDI-12T Mastering unit… There is no “Generation” Loss when editing with n-Track useing the Core-32 Audio Hardware… It just takes so much cpu resourses… It even stretches my P-4, 1.7mhz DAW out…

But a PC-90 stand-alone Verb unit is tough to beat…

Bill…

Thanks Guys!!

Helps me a lot to make up my mind.
As one of you stated, I have to use this SIR Plugin (that works with n-Track Studio) and can use this TC reverbs.
So than working with a 24 bit Version n-Track Studio and this Plugins will
give a (similar?) Sound Quality than using the ‘real’ Hardware Unit (TC M One XL) ?
For my understanding (a recording newbie) the n-Track Studio will do exact the same job as my current Tascam 424 Mk 3 Taperecorder in conjunktion with the TC M One XL?

Do you have any Soundcard recommendations when using outboard gear?
I was looking for a Echo Mia or Layla G3.

Thanks Guys

Well, the MIA would not give you much I/O. Personally, I’d opt for the Layla. Then you could patch your TC in and leave it as long as you did not need the inputs for recording. With an ADAT enabled preamp and the Layla, you would have 16 inputs and outputs available to leave your hardware stuff patched in OR to record a full band if need be.

When choosing a soundcard, think carefully about what you need and always think ahead. It’s like putting in electrical outlets in a new house. People always think that they have enough on this wall or in that room. Wal-Mart STILL sells truckloads of those multi-outlet strips and such! :D

TG

PS If you are completely new to the PC based digital recording game, cruise over to Audiominds and read over the tips and info there. Good stuff.

Quote (analogjunkie @ Mar. 15 2005,10:08)
As one of you stated, I have to use this SIR Plugin (that works with n-Track Studio) and can use this TC reverbs.
So than working with a 24 bit Version n-Track Studio and this Plugins will
give a (similar?) Sound Quality than using the 'real' Hardware Unit (TC M One XL) ?

Yes, very close. And SIR is free. If you really are just getting started, I'd say start with SIR b/c it is free and very, very , very good, and move on up to fancier stuff when you are ready.

Personally, I'm not ready. I like SIR. As many here will attest. :)

I don’t know, there is something to be said for recording effects with external hardware. I know it’s a lot of work as stated above, but I get a subtle sound with them. I have a great array of VST stuff, and it is good. But whenever I use the hardware, it seems different, and I like that difference sometimes.