v4.2.0  build 2088

Installed on '98SE

Hi n-Trackers:
Today, I installed v4.2.0 build on on of my studio DAWs. It has a dual-boot hard drive setup. One drive on the Primary IDE cable has a '98SE desk and the other drive on the ribbon wire has an XP home desk…

I booted the intel P-111 800mhz DAW to the '98SE desk and installed v4.2.0 build 2088 on the drive. The install exe progressed to the end of the sequence where the window said the install was sucessful and I closed the screen…

I went to the DESK and clicked on the icon to launch n-Track v4.2.0… build 2088…

However, at that point-in-time two windows screens appeared… (One-over-the-Other) One was the “Error Starting Program Screen”, saying that MSVFW32.dll file is linked to missing export ADVAPI32.dll Check Token Membership…

The other windows screen is related to the inability to launch n-Track because of the ADVAPI32.dll file “Is Not Working”… or something like that… Well… I went into the windows system folder and windows system32 folders. The MSVFW32.dill is located in the system32 folder and in the n-Track folder, as well. The ADVAPI32.dll file is in the system folder… I have no idea if they are in their proper folders… I don’t know how to track this issue down… One thing I did was, I did a “copy-and-paste” of the MSVFW32.dll file from the system folder to the system32 folder… so that file is and now appears in both folders. I left the ADVAPI.dll file in the system folder… where IT was …

So, after the copy-and-paste of the MSVFW32.dll copy-and-paste, I did a cold reboot and got to the '98SE desk… where I relaunched n-Track… But NO-GO…

So, I did a back-ward install where I re-installed v4.2.0 build 2058 (BATA) back on the '98SE desk. That build works just fine into '98SE…

Why would the ADVAPI32.dll file work in the 2058 build of n-Track and not build 2088 of n-Track? And… How can I get a working version of that dll file transported into the windows folder so I can get build 2088 working on that desk?

Next, I installed v4.2.0 build 2088 on the Intel 1.7 P-4 XP Desk… No issues of any kind. All is working just fine on the P-4 XP desk… as an up-grade from build 2058 to build 2088…

I haven’t attempted to install v4.2.0 build 2088 into the '98SE desk of the P-4 yet…

Is there any of you computer gurus out there that may be able to set me in the right direction so I can up-grade that '98SE Desk from build 2058 to 2088? IT would be so nice to resolve the issue of the dll files of this '98SE Desk… and move into v4.2.0

Bill…

Hi Bill,

No words of advice to offer at the moment - tired, long day (10.30pm here), just dropped my wife at the airport as she’s off to NZ to see her folks who are poorly.

I’ll check your post again tomorrow sometime unless someone else has solved the problem for you!

Mark

advapi32.dll is is a part of windows 98. It is possible that the file or the registry entry for it have become corrupt.

The first thing that I would do is to install a new copy of the file. You can download if from DLL-Files.com if you are not sure that you have an uncorrupted copy.

Tim

Hi Mark:
I hope All is gonna be O.K. for your Relitives, in New Zealand… I’m unable to imagine travelling around the world… That trip is a huge undertaking…

I am in no hurry to resolve this I’m not against IT for time or anything like that… I don’t want to do anything drastic and cause the desk any stress…

Thanks for your post, tspringer. IT appears like that file/dll could be the culpret… However, I should remove that msvfw32.dll from the “System32” folder… to bring the windows folder back to it’s orininal state… I haven’t checked ADVAPI32’s file size… but that is something I can do In it’s properties…

I’m treating all this as a software… technical hurtle… There’s nothing serious going on in the studio…

Bill…

Hi Bill,

MSVFW32.dll is a Video for Windows dll that’s been around for ages, and the other is a Windows API. Strange that the earlier build on n-track works though.

I’m guessing but I wonder if you need a later version of some Windows component (.net, directx?). Easy to say but not so easy to do on dial up, but check your PC is patched with all the Win 98 hotfixes etc (Windows Update) and maybe (straw-clutching) check your version of DirectX or even .net…

Mark

Quote (woxnerw @ April 10 2006,01:58)
One was the “Error Starting Program Screen”, saying that MSVFW32.dll file is linked to missing export ADVAPI32.dll Check Token Membership…

The problem might have been caused by a bug in the n-Track Setup.
Please try to see if the problem appears in build 2089.

Flavio.

Thank You Gentlemen:
I’m downloading build 2089 as I reply to this thread. We’ll see how that install goes Flavio… Mabey, later on today. I wish the studio was on the same floor… It seems as though I am outta my element when I go there… It’s like I have to go “Downtown” to go there… I guess IT happens as you age… Heck… I’m only 23… :O :p

I still want to remove that MSVFW32.dll from the system32 folder… Cause IT wasn’t in there originally, till I did a copy-and-paste… to put IT there. And I’m not looking to cause that “Windows” folder any stress…

I’d sure like to know more about computer operating systems. I’m getting better… though. I’m trying hard to keep my fingers outta things I don’t know anything about… Playin’ with that stuff is a good way to get your fingernails bruised… :O ???

Bill…

Hi Flavio and All:
I downloaded build 2089 and imported the build into the studio through the network and into the '98SE drive of the P-111 800mhz. DESK.

IT installed just fine, with no issues to report of any kind.

I need to play with the n-Track desk for a while to see how IT behaves on '98SE desk in comparison to the XP desks I have v4.2.0 installed, on… I forsee none… But, we’ll see.

I forgot to check the CPU useage, or I would have reported that on this reply…

I removed the MSVFW32.dll file for the wondows system 32 folder before I installed build 2089, just to make sure there were no issues with that file…

Thank you all for your help and support for this setup I have. There’s lots of work left to prepare the studio for the up-grade to v4.2.0 but all looks “Straight-Ahead”…

I may have to look into the “BeInSync” utility for networkfile shareing through the network. IT says on the site that IT will work in all or most of windows operating systems but IT wouldn’t (The network version v2.0.24) install in '98SE desk… ?? for some unknown reason… Mabey, It’s me… I’ll look into that also… :O :p But if IT works between XP Desks what more can I ask for…

Anyway, we’re workin at IT and IT’s straight ahead.

Thank You All…

Bill…