v5 vs. v4?

prestanda

Hello!

I’m about to get back to making music again. Ive been fiddling around with some old songs,tryng to finally finish them. But the version of N I’m using (later-time v4) has a serious bug: the channel assignment does not work, it sort of gives tracks random channel numbers.

So I’ll need to upgrade to v5.

Is the latest version more resource -hungry than v4?

I have a Xp2400+ w. 2 GB RAM that has been working fine engough with v4. I would not want to buy a new computer right now.

TIA!

My system is XP1800+ with 1Gb RAM running up to date XP home and I don’t have any problems with resources running N on my system (although it is very slow to start).

If you upgrade. Keep a backup of v4 songs somewhere in case you want to go back to v4 because I seem to remember there is some issue once you’ve opened a v4 song in v5 (i.e. you can’t then open that song in v4).

Thanks for that info! I guess I’ll keep the different versions of the songs in separate folders… better backup the installer for v4 along with the regcode as well, even if it’s seems like buggy version.

Plumbum’s advice is very good. Make backups of your v.4 songs. And I would highly advise upgrading to v.5. I just spent an evening with a group last night using v5 for the first time since I upgraded from v4. What a difference!! CPU load seems to be about half of what I remember with v4. And it is much much more stable. And now you don’t have to choose 16 or 24 bit version. Flavio has made it all one program.

I haven’t had a chance yet to work v5 through the mixing, fx, eq, mastering phase yet (next Monday, we plan to do that). But what I have seen so far, it’s probably going to be a treat in comparison to v4.

Paul

Quote: (vanclan @ Jan. 22 2008, 1:54 PM)

... CPU load seems to be about half of what I remember with v4. And it is much much more stable. And now you don't have to choose 16 or 24 bit version. Flavio has made it all one program... Paul

Apart from this group thingie v4 has semed a bit sluggish as compared to v3, so that's good news!

I had a lot of problems with the drivers to my E-mu card at first. When those were solved, it was time for all the problems with v4. So I havent really had a working setup since the venerable v3 with an AudioPCI... although that setup suffered from an instabile OS.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I experienced a little higher CPU load with version 5 compared to version 4 but I would still highly recommend moving to version 5. I have a Athlon 2200 cpu with a gig of ram and I can mix up to about 35 tracks with lots of plugins before the system barfs.